PDA

View Full Version : PVRX2 and/or MVP crashing

valkokir
2007-10-04, 03:51 AM
About once a night while watching through the MVP, I'll exit out to the menu, go back into the guide and try and watch a show. I get a message "no tuners available" with the only option being "Don't watch TV" Both tuners should be idle and have not been recording for about half an hour. This happens repeatedly. Each time I have tried powering off and powering on the MVP (not a hard reset just putting it to sleep; I realize now this really won't help) and everything looks fine but when I go back in and tell it to watch a show, the MVP hangs. The server is showing full CPU load on PVRX2.exe (there are two PVRX2.exe's showing in task manager when this happens). I have to kill the tasks and restart them. I believe I was able to resolve it one night by restarting the recording service, tonight I could not right click on the Tray icon to restart and I had to kill it instead through task manager. I think that each time this has happened, an instance of PVRX2 is running on the server (nothing playing or watching, the program is just open). I have tried default MVP skins, changing Decoders to NVIDIA and Intervideo. Only special plugins I am running are weather and Comskip (parallel processing). Logs attached, I am going to disable weather but I don't think it has anything to do with that. I am using the MVPMC dongle.

Any help would be great. The error happened around 21:20 I'm not good at reading logs, only see a failure to stop recording etc.

And...... I just restarted my computer and my guide is empty, this is a first.

sub
2007-10-04, 04:02 AM
Sorry but I cant see anything obvious in the logs.

valkokir
2007-10-04, 04:07 AM
Ok, I just noticed that xmltv was maxing out my CPU. My EPG was set to update at 9pm (a test I was running days ago and never changed back). I think this is the issue. If it happens again with the EPG set to update in the middle of the night I'll post back here. Thank you sub for looking into it so quickly.

mvallevand
2007-10-04, 04:09 AM
I don't see anything special that mvpmc is doing wrong but I do notice that you are using the Tweaked MVP Blue skin which I never tested and you did have what looks like a skin error right after a stop at 21:19:51.671 which might be corrupting something. I would try the regular blue skin to see if the problem continues.

Martin

valkokir
2007-10-11, 12:11 AM
I'm back to the "no tuners available" with the only option being "Don't watch TV".

This happens about 1 minute after exiting Live TV on the MVP back to the guide and trying to watch a different channel.

I can solve this by going to the server and manually restarting the recording service. It is not the same issue as my first post here about the server processes being locked up at 100% CPU usage or any other sign of a crash.

What I am not seeing is a new log for the recording service where it would signify it restarted after an EPG update at 2am last night. Am I missing something that says that it did in fact restart? Does it even need to?

I'm considering trying SlimmGBPVR to auto restart the recording service if it crashes but I'm not sure it actually crashed.

It's strange and I'm stumped, any help would be great.

I believe it was about 5:50pm when this happened. I manually restarted the recording service shortly thereafter.

valkokir
2007-10-11, 12:22 AM
upon closer inspection of the logs I'm seeing that the recording service can't find my PVR150MCE which is at the bottom of the capture source list (first liveTV card) I don't know why it would disappear and a recording service restart would bring it back. just an observation

valkokir
2007-10-11, 05:32 PM
No ideas? See logs two posts up.

Thanks guys

mvallevand
2007-10-11, 05:41 PM
No ideas? See logs two posts up.

I had a look and from the mvp side everything seems great. I think the problem is with the memory corruption error which sub has noted in other posts could be related to driver problems. There problems seem to manifest themselves more with multiple tuners.

Martin

Satori
2007-10-11, 06:43 PM
I have the same issue at times. I am going to try reinstalling all the drivers, middleware, and filters with this:

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=10830.0

I am also going to follow his procedure to remove all the drivers.

Wish me luck

:)

valkokir
2007-10-11, 06:57 PM
Good Luck! I may mess with the drivers but since it is otherwise running great I'll probably go for a Band-Aid fix for now. Thanks everyone for looking at it. I'll just tell my GF that it breaks when she watches Oprah and she can't do that any more.

Satori
2007-11-07, 05:33 PM
I wanted to report back on this.

I used the process in the link above about 10 days ago and have not had the "No tuners available..." message since then (knock on wood). All my recordings have been successful.

The only things I did not do from that process were steps 1 and 8:

1: Run hcw_unregister.bat
8: Check the registry by searching for key words hcw, wintv, globespan and hauppauge

I did not do 1 because I did not want to lose all my decoders. I did not do 8 because I was not sure about what to delete.

I then followed the Here Windows XP Installation Instructions (http://www.shspvr.com/howto/wxp_install.html) link at the bottom and did everything there except I only checked "MPEG SW Decoders" and "Hauppauge WinTV IR Remote Control Application", they were the only components I needed.

I had to press the "Fix Hauppauge Remote Settings (45 Button Remote)" button under the "DVD & Remote" tab in the configuration tool to get my remote to work again.

valkokir
2007-11-20, 02:46 AM
While this solves your problem when running two PVR-150s, it won't solve it for my combination since shspvr does not offer a 1600 driver. Otherwise the process I use follows the same instructions they give and I still get 'no tuners available' several times per week and have to restart the recording service.