View Full Version : A few new user questions?
I am currently researching PVR software. *I do not have a capture card yet because I am trying to find software that has the functionality I need. *I have added some recordings so I can see what the general functionality is and checked the forums for the latest Hardware support etc but I have the following queries?
1. Where do I change the priority of a recording?
2. Instead of a "season pass" can you do a general free text search and add this as a recurring recording?
3. Is it possible to do a "record this program on all channels"?
4. How long has GBPVR been available? *How often are updates? Sorry to ask this (I am not asking for a new release) I just want to get an idea of how long it has been available, whether it is actively being developed and what has changed between versions?
5. What is the MediaMVP forum for? *Is this a seperate product or something that GBPVR provides? *Does this allow some kind of streaming setup? *e.g. one machine with GBPVR on it and this single machine can serve 2 TV's via a MVP or something? *Is this possible - can anyone provide some links so I can read up on what I would need (need MPG/AVI support)?
1) You cant. I think one of the external plugins may add the functionality. Take a look at http://gbpvr.bladerhq.com
4) I've been working on it as a hobby over the last year. It gets updates about every three or four weeks. Its quite an active project, with many other developers also working on third party plugins. For a list of the changes in each release, see http://www.gbpvr.com/change.txt
5) Yes, GB-PVR supports the Hauppauge MediaMVP, allowing you take several MVPs around the house all using GB-PVR. There's not really much you need - Hauppauge MediaMVP + GB-PVR software. If you want to capture video or watch live tv you also need a compatible capture card like the Hauppauge PVR150.
Thanks for replying. *A few more if you have the time:
a. I am a bit "concerned" that functionality is provided in PlugIns. *Does this not mean much of the application is duplicated or does the plugin interface means none of the basic GBPVR application is repeated? e.g. if an addin was to provide priority support does this not mean the whole Recordings section is written by someone else?
b. Are there any plans to implement 2 or 3?
c. Are the PVR150 and PVR150MCE the same hardware you just get different extras (e.g. Radio/Remote/IR). *I.e. if you support the PVR150 the PVR150MCE is also supported.
d. Does anyone know of a MediaMVP that supports AVI in hardware? *From what I have read the Haupaugge one is MPG only and you need a fast PC to get AVI to work.
e. When in MediaMVP mode does it allow you to view GBPVR menus etc? i.e. does you get access to Weather, Video and Music etc?
a) You dont have to use any plugins you dont want to. Yes, some functionality is duplicated, but if someone doesnt like the way I do things in the core GB-PVR software, they're free to implement it any way they like in a plugin.
b) I have no immediate plans to add these, but maybe some time in the future.
c) The PVR150 and PVR150MCE are pretty much the same hardware and are both supported.
d) The MVP only supportw MPEG1/MPEG2 natively. You cannot use GB-PVR to play avi files via the MVP.
e) yes, you'll see everything you normally would in GB-PVR (tv guide/weather/video/music/plugins etc)
Fantastic. *Thanks for help I have done more research on the www.shspvr.com site but just for a bit of clarification on the MediaMVP support. *
i) GBPVR replaces the standard Haupaugge MediaMVP software? *
ii) So does this mean all the Recorded TV Shows, Music and Videos you see in GBPVR these are somehow made available in the MediaMVP interface? *How is the Recorded TV Shows formatted on screen in the MediaMVP list? Can you remove files in the MediaMVP interface
iii) If an AVI is listed in GBPVR Video section this is not playable when using MediaMVP? *If this is NO is there anything that will make this happen in the future?
iv) A GBPVR question I have noticed that filenames do not wrap in the Video section. *Is this something that may be fixed in the future or do I need to look at an alternative PlugIn that may solve this?
Many thanks for your time.
ii) Yes, see http://www.gbpvr.com/screenshots.htm for some screen shots of what you'll see on your MVP. Yes, you can delete files.
iii) On MVP, AVI files wont be listed and I have no intention of adding support them in the future. Its all too much hassle.
iv) You can always switch to list view (blue button or ctrl-b), which can show much wider filenames.
Thanks for your help.
I think I am going to wait for a PVR150 type card that supports Digital Terrestial and a MediaMVP that supports AVI type files.
If the prices of the PVR150 / MediaMVP drop (or I can get them during a half price sale I may go for it) but at the moment the technology is not quite their for what I want.
Obviously when the technology gets there we have to wait for software to support it so it is probably sometime off unless you know of a solution?
Does anyone know if Haupaugge are planning a new version of their MediaMVP or a Digital Terrestial version of the PVR150?
Quote[/b] (tipstir @ Jan. 02 2005,10:31)]
Now the Media MVP 1000 supports AVI through software that comes with the new firmware E2, (older firmware can works also) GB-PVR doesn't support AVI. To work around this you need to use freeware third-party software like DIKO found on KVCD.net.
I have no problems using WinTV PVR-150 and you can use all the tweaks that are for older WinTV PVR-250 for it. Like the sharpness tweak.
Thanks for the information. *
What type of CPU and what usage do you get when streaming a different MPG to each of your MVPs at the same time and GBPVR is recording a TV show off the TV?
Do you know if the MVP supports adjusting the Brightness/Contrast levels as my TVs SCART input is a bit dark?
DIKO seems like a good idea but if the CPU is streaming and recording and also has to convert an AVI->MPG I think I am going to have to wait for somekind of Hardware AVI support in the MVP.
Quote[/b] ]DIKO seems like a good idea but if the CPU is streaming and recording and also has to convert an AVI->MPG I think I am going to have to wait for somekind of Hardware AVI support in the MVP.
They are working on a wireless MediaMVP, but this will not add AVI support. They not working on adding native AVI support.
Quote[/b] ]Does anyone know if Haupaugge are planning a new version of their MediaMVP or a Digital Terrestial version of the PVR150?
Digital Terrestial is entirely different technology to the PVR150, so there is not going to be a Digital Terrestial version of the PVR150.
Hauppauge already sell a Digital Terrestial device, its called a Hauppauge Nova-T, but its not supported but may be some time in the future. They've been selling this device for a couple of years.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2015 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.