PDA

View Full Version : Strange bug(?) in 1.0.16

Kosketus
2007-09-11, 03:34 PM
Hi

I'm trying out migrating to the new version. I'm getting what I take to be a bug when I select 'Watch' in the Programme Guide. What happens the first time I do this, each time after starting up, is that (after an inordinately long wait) the programme appears with superimposed upon it a message saying "No signal detected. Please ensure that the antenna cable is connected..." Below it is a graphic showing signal quality and strength, at 100% and about 70% respectively(!). After a while it goes away and doesn't reappear thereafter - till the next time I start-up PVRX2.

Is this a known problem?

EDIT

It also goes away if I change channels (by hitting the up or down arrow on the keyboard).

sub
2007-09-11, 05:29 PM
See the sticky 'v1.0.16 survival guide' thread. There was a patch posted for this a few weeks back.

Kosketus
2007-09-21, 06:05 AM
sub

Sorry, my search missed this.

I've now installed the patch. Unfortunately, it hasn't made any difference at all. Any other suggestions?

sub
2007-09-21, 11:22 AM
No, no other suggestions. Double check you install the patch correctly - it certainly fixed it for everyone else.

Kosketus
2007-09-21, 11:50 AM
Well, what I did was to put the new version of PVRX2.exe in my GBPVR folder, in place of the version which was previously there.

Is there anything else I'm supposed to do?

sub
2007-09-21, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that was correct.

Sorry, I dont know.

Kosketus
2007-09-24, 05:57 AM
Yeah, that was correct.

Sorry, I dont know.sub

So, is that end of story...? For the time being, I suppose, yes. After all, you did say when 1.0.8 was released that it was a sort of public Beta. And, of course, you've been on your travels. Hope you had an enjoyable and rewarding trip.

But I'd hate to leave it there indefinitely, because you've announced that "this executable (GBPVR) will no longer be maintained or actively supported in future".

I know you said that the patch had worked for others, but it hasn't for me. So may I hope that this will be among the bugs that will in time be addressed? Just to repeat:- on the same machine on which GBPVR tunes without any problem to my local channels, PVRX2 - whilst also doing so - brings up a pop-up saying that it can't find them, superimposed on the programme actually being received on-screen and accompanied by signal-strength and -quality displays showing 100% and 63%+ respectively. Among the effects of this is that I can't use PVRX2 to record anything; evidently the bug is inhibiting the recording service from activating.

arttu
2007-09-24, 08:01 AM
Just a quick comment: I also have the patch applied and still have the same bug. I'm using DVB-C and like Kosketus, I too live in Finland.

sub
2007-09-24, 10:52 AM
Yeah, that was correct.

Sorry, I dont know.sub
So, is that end of story...? I'm not really sure what you wanted me to say. I'm just being honest - I dont know why you're getting this problem.

I'm happy to look into it a bit further when I'm back in New Zealand, but there isnt much more I can do from here. You should reproduce the problem and post the logs though. Make sure log flushing is enabled in the config app.

Kosketus
2007-10-04, 10:19 AM
I'm not really sure what you wanted me to say. I'm just being honest - I dont know why you're getting this problem.

I'm happy to look into it a bit further when I'm back in New Zealand, but there isnt much more I can do from here. You should reproduce the problem and post the logs though.sub

That was all I wanted you to say (I'd registered that you were away):)

But now I'm totally stymied, because I can't get GBPVR to work at all! I had to format my C: drive. I re-registered TMpgMux.ax After doing so, and having installed .Net Framework 2.0 (twice, now) and run vcredist_x86.exe (several times), installed/uninstalled/reinstalled GBPVR 1.0.16 (several times), I'm unable to configure GBPVR at all. All I get when I try to is .Net "unhandled exceptions" error messages.

For the time being, I've had to give up completely. I've never had anything like this before and I don't know where to start trying to tackle it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT
Just noticed that in 'Add/Remove Programs' there are 2 MS Visual C++ Redistributables, of 5.46 MB and 4.75 MB respectively. Should there perhaps only be one (and if so which)?

(Please ignore this edit if it's not relevant)

sub
2007-10-04, 04:15 PM
You'll need to enable log flushing, then reproduce the problem, then post a complete set of logs.

If you cant start the config app, then use notepad to edit config.xml and set <LoggingForceFlush>true</LoggingForceFlush>

Kosketus
2007-10-04, 07:05 PM
sub

Are these the right logs? Or do you need GBPVRTray.exe and Recordingservice.exe too?

sub
2007-10-04, 07:12 PM
2007-10-04 21:55:39.718 ERROR [3] XMLTV: error reading xml: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: tv. Line 20, position 13.Your XMLTV file is broken. It has a tag on line 20 that isnt closed.

Kosketus
2007-10-05, 09:45 AM
sub

Is that the only reason for everything that's happening, might I ask?

I had no idea how to set about repairing the broken file (not even sure which file to repair!), so instead I completely removed all xmltv files and folders and reinstalled XMLTV.

It doesn't seem to have helped. I still start getting "unhandled exception" errors as soon as I open Config, and if I hit 'Continue' I just go on getting one each time I try to configure anything. I can't configure any capture source because no drop-down list will activate, so I've no way to make a selection.

sub
2007-10-05, 05:01 PM
Is that the only reason for everything that's happening, might I ask?No, but it was possibly why your config app isnt opening. It was the only error shown in the config logs you provided. You didnt enable log flushing like I asked, so the logs are showing very little information.

Your other problem, the ""No signal detected" popup, wouldnt be shown in these logs. You'd need to provide a full set of logs for me to look into that.

sub
2007-10-05, 05:02 PM
It doesn't seem to have helped. I still start getting "unhandled exception" errors as soon as I open Config, and if I hit 'Continue' I just go on getting one each time I try to configure anything. I can't configure any capture source because no drop-down list will activate, so I've no way to make a selection.
Edit config.xml and set <LoggingForceFlush>true</LoggingForceFlush>, then open the config app to reproduce this error, then zip and attach the config.exe.log and I'll take a look.

Kosketus
2007-10-07, 01:08 PM
sub

Sorry for not having come back sooner. The reason is almost certainly not unconnected with the problem I've been having with GBPVR. My PC ground to a halt and after various checks I found that one of my two memory modules had died. Having removed it, my PC now seems to be running OK (I still have 512 MB of RAM). However, something had happened which made it impossible for me to boot into WinXP any more, try as I might. So I had to grit my teeth and format/reinstall all over again.

As a result, I still haven't been able to try reinstalling GBPVR . Microsoft Product Activation is telling me I've used up the number of times I'm permitted to install this copy of XP, and I still need to follow-up on that.

I really love M$ :(

BTW I'm pretty sure that I did enable log flushing but maybe I remember wrong. Or it could be that it was just one more symptom of a sick computer... I'll report progress, or lack of it, as soon as poss.

sub
2007-10-07, 04:19 PM
OK, post them when you can.

No, it wasnt enabled:

2007-10-04 21:53:26.515 VERBOSE [1] getValue: /settings/LoggingForceFlush : false

Deusxmachina
2007-10-07, 11:27 PM
Hi

I'm trying out migrating to the new version. I'm getting what I take to be a bug when I select 'Watch' in the Programme Guide. What happens the first time I do this, each time after starting up, is that (after an inordinately long wait) the programme appears with superimposed upon it a message saying "No signal detected. Please ensure that the antenna cable is connected..." Below it is a graphic showing signal quality and strength, at 100% and about 70% respectively(!). After a while it goes away and doesn't reappear thereafter - till the next time I start-up PVRX2.

Is this a known problem?

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=29444
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=28692

Kosketus
2007-10-09, 06:32 PM
OK, post them when you can.

No, it wasnt enabled:Sorry about that.

Here are the logs. EDIT I think I missed one - will post again.

Removing the faulty memory module doesn't seem to have affected GBPVR's behaviour in the slightest. I'm still getting the same .Net error-messages every time I perform any operation at all. I still can't install a capture source. And now the icon no longer installs itself in the notification area.

Kosketus
2007-10-09, 06:40 PM
Thanks deusexmachina for the links. I'll try the recommended fix as soon as I have PVRX2 running to fix it on.

Kosketus
2007-10-09, 06:45 PM
One more log file.

sub
2007-10-09, 08:17 PM
Sorry about that.

Here are the logs. EDIT I think I missed one - will post again.

Removing the faulty memory module doesn't seem to have affected GBPVR's behaviour in the slightest. I'm still getting the same .Net error-messages every time I perform any operation at all. I still can't install a capture source. And now the icon no longer installs itself in the notification area.Sorry, but log flushing is still not enabled in those logs, so the logs are cut short and dont show me the actual error occuring.

2007-10-09 21:24:07.203 VERBOSE [1] getValue: /settings/LoggingForceFlush : false
You need to set <LoggingForceFlush>true</LoggingForceFlush> in config.xml to enable log flushing.

Kosketus
2007-10-10, 08:23 AM
You need to set <LoggingForceFlush>true</LoggingForceFlush> in config.xml to enable log flushing.My mistake! (I didn't know anything about XML).

I hope this tells you what you need to know.

sub
2007-10-10, 04:23 PM
Bugger. There is nothing in that log.

We've wasted too much time with this. I'd suggest a complete reinstall to get it fixed:

1) uninstall GB-PVR
2) delete the c:\program files\devnz\ directory
3) reinstall GB-PVR 1.0.16
4) setup capture sources again from scratch.

Kosketus
2007-10-11, 08:51 AM
sub

I'm now just about to take delivery of a new mobo plus CPU plus memory. Since this is going to involve me in yet another install of WinXP (groan!), I won't do anything more with GBPVR until all that's over.

Meanwhile can say I really appreciate your efforts, and I'm sorry your time was wasted.

jslarsen
2007-10-14, 02:49 PM
I have the same problem but if I use gbpvr instead of pvrx2 then there is no message , only its a boring skin. Tried with hauppauge nova 500 dual and pinnacle pctv usb stick and I have a good signal. It comes with the message allmost before the signal is there ( or is strong)