PDA

View Full Version : GBPVR vs PVRx2

AlRedneck
2007-09-10, 03:13 AM
All,
Please forgive the newbie question but what exactly is the difference between gbpvr and pvrx2? I know, I know...it's a simple question but I'm really curious :)

Regards!

sub
2007-09-10, 03:17 AM
GBPVR.exe was the old user interface. PVRX2 is the new interface which replaces it. The new interface was only introduced recently. I'll continue to include (but not update or bugfix) the old GBPVR.exe for the next few months to allow people time to migrate over in their own time, then it'll be removed.

philly_phenom
2007-09-10, 03:36 AM
Is there going to be more added in PVRX2? It seems to be missing some things that were available in GBPVR...

For example, I can't find how to search the guide - of course I just might not be looking in the right place, so for now, I've been sticking w/ gbpvr.

Regardles, pvrx2 looks pretty slick I must say. kudos.

sub
2007-09-10, 03:41 AM
Is there going to be more added in PVRX2?It seems to be missing some things that were available in GBPVR... Yes. It took me a several months to get in the features that are present today. For the next release I'll continue migrating the missing features like Net Radio etc.

Some features I no longer want as part of the core application, like 'youtube', will be release as separate plugins that other developers can continue to develop if they want.

For example, I can't find how to search the guide - of course I just might not be looking in the right place, so for now, I've been sticking w/ gbpvr.It'll be moving back to a button on the main menu, but for now you can get to 'search guide' by press the Guide button on your remote twice (F1 key on keyboard). The first press will take you to the TV Guide, the second will show the Search Guide popup.

philly_phenom
2007-09-10, 03:43 AM
Yes. It took me a several months to get in the features that are present today. For the next release I'll continue migrating the missing features like Net Radio etc.

Some features I no longer want as part of the core application, like 'youtube', will be release as separate plugins that other developers can continue to develop if they want.

It'll be moving back to a button on the main menu, but for now you can get to 'search guide' by press the Guide button on your remote twice (F1 key on keyboard). The first press will take you to the TV Guide, the second will show the Search Guide popup.

Cool! Thanks

How do you find time to do all this?

sub
2007-09-10, 03:45 AM
How do you find time to do all this?Its a Tardis/DrWho type thing. :D

philly_phenom
2007-09-10, 04:26 AM
Its a Tardis/DrWho type thing. :D

Is GBPVR bigger on the inside than out? Can we expect features to record shows from last week? Or better yet be able to fast forward past live? :D

whurlston
2007-09-10, 04:55 AM
SpaceTimeContinuum.dll is still a little buggy so sub has not released it yet. He's not sure if he can get it working due to the limitations of C++/C# so we may not see it for a while unfortunately.

Sorry sub, but he asked.

sub
2007-09-10, 05:04 AM
Is GBPVR bigger on the inside than out?Yes, and there is many dark corners in there that even I'm not familiar with.

Can we expect features to record shows from last week? No, but if you're lucky it'll record shows from next week :D

pwtenny
2007-09-10, 09:40 AM
GBPVR.exe was the old user interface. PVRX2 is the new interface which replaces it. The new interface was only introduced recently. I'll continue to include (but not update or bugfix) the old GBPVR.exe for the next few months to allow people time to migrate over in their own time, then it'll be removed.

[..deleted my own crap..]

Spend half a day trying to fix something and give up. Make a snide post on a forum and find the fix 2 minutes later. Not so smooth on my part..sure would be nice to be able to delete your own posts.

SuMo
2007-09-10, 09:48 PM
SpaceTimeContinuum.dll is still a little buggy so sub has not released it yet. He's not sure if he can get it working due to the limitations of C++/C# so we may not see it for a while unfortunately.

LOL

lchiu7
2007-09-11, 10:00 AM

It'll be moving back to a button on the main menu, but for now you can get to 'search guide' by press the Guide button on your remote twice (F1 key on keyboard). The first press will take you to the TV Guide, the second will show the Search Guide popup.

That doesn't work for me. Press F1 gets the guide, pressing F1 again goes back to the main pvrx2 memu (1.16)

Any ideas why?

Thanks

sub
2007-09-11, 06:13 PM
Press F1 gets the guide, pressing F1 again goes back to the main pvrx2 memu (1.16)

Any ideas why?Nothing springs to mind, but zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look.

lchiu7
2007-09-11, 09:03 PM
There are lots of log files - which ones do you need?

Thanks

sub
2007-09-11, 09:04 PM
Reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the PVRX2.exe.log.

lchiu7
2007-09-12, 06:59 AM
OK - here is the log

sub
2007-09-12, 08:20 AM
There seems to be some skin error. Try again with the default blue skin.

lchiu7
2007-09-12, 08:38 AM
Bingo! But I like the Community Skin so I guess I will just live with it until they fix the skin. Thanks for the quick response.

Solberg
2007-09-27, 11:56 PM
I have a plasma and need it on the new interface. Can't trust the kids to shut off the tv when they are done. Any work arounds? Any plugins that would work?

Thanks

kayak4ever
2007-09-28, 12:36 AM
I am using 1.0.16 on pvrx2 and the screensaver is working the same as it did before (possibly even better because it doesn't ever lock up the computer). I am sorry, I can't tell you want I did to get it to work this way.

sub
2007-09-28, 11:22 AM
I'm not really sure what to suggest. The screen saver definitely seems to be working on our plasma.

Solberg
2007-09-29, 02:24 AM
Bummer, I will take a look at the config again to verify that the checkbox is there.