PDA

View Full Version : ZProcess2 - not getting "Zprocess Settings" during install?

jksmurf
2007-08-13, 03:54 PM
Hi Zehd,

OK From here: http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/ZProcess

Open the Zprocess2.zip and copy the two files in THIS zip to the ZProcess folder… OK
C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Third Party\ZTools
Run ZProcess2.exe. It will ask to register itself into GB-PVR. Click Yes, and this time let it restart the GB-PVR recording service. OK, DONE
Click ‘ZProcess Settings’ NG (DOESN'T EXIST?)At the third step I don't get Zprocess Settings, I get the GB-PVR Settings cofig.xml Tab :confused: :confused:

k.
btw the WIKI refs pointing to ZProcess take you back to ZProcess2 :confused:

zehd
2007-08-13, 04:02 PM
Hi Zehd,

OK From here: http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/ZProcess

At the third step I don't get Zprocess Settings, I get the GB-PVR Settings cofig.xml Tab :confused: :confused:

k.
btw the WIKI refs pointing to ZProcess take you back to ZProcess2 :confused:

ZProcess2 became ZProcess, the original ZProcess wiki page became ZProcess1..

All references to ZProcess on the wiki are now referring to the new version...

I'll double check the versions that's for download...

zehd
2007-08-13, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry. The version on the wiki is not the same as what the notes were posted for.

I'll be updating the page and zip file later today...

jksmurf
2007-08-13, 04:37 PM
I'm sorry. The version on the wiki is not the same as what the notes were posted for.

I'll be updating the page and zip file later today...Zehd...apologies ...I think your files are actually correct! I realise I must have had an OLDER ZProcess2 .... Now I get that Zprocess settings screen....

Trying to test an mp4 file (x264 encoded) for Trans2MVP but getting type mismatch 13 errors?

k.

zehd
2007-08-13, 04:50 PM
Zehd...apologies ...I think your files are actually correct! I realise I must have had an OLDER ZProcess2 .... Now I get that Zprocess settings screen....

Trying to test an mp4 file (x264 encoded) for Trans2MVP but getting type mismatch 13 errors?

k.

You and your mp4s....... I rebuilt ZProcess from memory, and obviously forgot about you.

Gotta start this troubleshooting again. Can you make a sample mp4 available to me?

zehd
2007-08-13, 05:15 PM
Zehd...apologies ...I think your files are actually correct! I realise I must have had an OLDER ZProcess2 .... Now I get that Zprocess settings screen....

k.

BTW. I think we're going to have a few problems... When I rewrote ZProcess I always knew that I would redo several parts of it as they pertain to PAL.

Currently there are a lot of loose ends regarding PAL, and I always thought I would take care of the lot when I moved to Australia.

PAL has always been an enigma, and most of the math wasn't math at all and just fudged numbers..

example:
640x480 is perfect 4x3 in NTSC...
640x576 does not work out to 4x3, but it is a 4x3 image in PAL land... (the horizontal lines are skinnier and there are more of them)

So any padding or calculation has to have a fudge factor...

ZProcess moving down under will be a wonderful thing for PAL users...

jksmurf
2007-08-13, 11:49 PM
You and your mp4s....... I rebuilt ZProcess from memory, and obviously forgot about you. LOL :D sorry... :o Downloaded rugby game that they didn't show here...... 2 hours, it's a beaut size just < 1GB vs about 5.5GB at mpeg2... doesn't take long. I tried to transcode it to play on my DVD Player (which only does DivX) using Dr Divx2 (Crashed, Mediacoder (didn't play the disk, after all those hours of transcoding) ...so I remembered ZProcess and thought I'd give the new improved version a shot. I like teh simplicity, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing though.

Got caught up in Zprocess, Zprocess1 and Zprocess2 pages and pressed a few buttons I shouldn't have ... one which I think related to the GBPVR config as now my MVP won't boot:confused: ..Arrrghhhh!

Gotta start this troubleshooting again. Can you make a sample mp4 available to me?Sure. When I get home tonight ...

ZProcess moving down under will be a wonderful thing for PAL users...That's all good for me, NZ, Oz and the UK ... :-)

Thanks zehd,

k.

zehd
2007-08-14, 03:55 AM
LOL :D sorry... :o Downloaded rugby game that they didn't show here......

Just tested with an MP4 that I had on hand. I think HTV sent me snippet that was particularly tough to transcode..

Happy to say that it worked fine for me. Too fine actually (Zehd's eyes narrow, as he muses about what forces were at work...)

I'll bet you got one of those discount MP4s. Fell off a virtual truck in cyberspace... And you KNOW how you can trust those folks. Especially Rugby fans. DON'T get me started...

Seriously, I'd like to know what buttons you pressed in what order. I usually have buttons greyed out when you shouldn't press them and other user proofing...

But to try and get things going... It seems you can't get the MVP going, because the config.xml is corrupted. Here's how to restore it...

First Start ZProcess2 and click GB-PVR settings and then click Remove All Refs. Close ZProcess.

Then in a text editor like Notepad, open the config.xml and then check for these sections. The lines should be exact including spaces and brackets...

<CustomFFmpegConversions>
<Conversion name="XviD" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -f avi -ab 224 -ac 2 -acodec mp3 -deinterlace -vcodec xvid -qscale 5 -vtag XVID {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".avi" />
<Conversion name="DivX" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -f avi -ab 224 -ac 2 -acodec mp3 -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1000k -vtag DIVX {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".avi" />
<Conversion name="Video Ipod" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -title {TITLE_SUBTITLE} -f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -s 320x240 -r 15 {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".mp4" />
<Conversion name="Sony PSP" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -title {TITLE_SUBTITLE} -f psp -r 29.97 -s 368x208 -b 768k -ar 24000 -ab 32 {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".mp4" />
<Conversion name="Mobile .3GP" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -acodec aac -vcodec mpeg4 -s qcif -aspect 4:3 {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".3gp" />
<Conversion name="WMV-1200kb/s" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -vcodec wmv2 -b 1200k {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".wmv" />
<Conversion name="WMV-700kb/s" cmd="-y -i {SOURCE_FILE} -vcodec wmv2 -b 700k {DEST_FILE}" targetExtension=".wmv" />
</CustomFFmpegConversions>

<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 25 -s 352x288 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 29.97 -s 352x240 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeToMP3>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -ab 224 "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeToMP3>
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeTS>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -vcodec copy -acodec copy {DEST_FILE}</MVPFFmpegTranscodeTS>

Now restart the recording service and then restart a MVP server and then try again. If it works done...

Start ZProcess again and it should want to reinstall itself...

zehd
2007-08-14, 03:59 AM
Oh... and I think I haven't stressed it in the docs, but YOU MUST have MEncoder installed now, in it's default location (I'll make it portable some other time)

C:\Program Files\mplayer

ZProcess uses mplayer to get the file info like dimensions and fps. It's very good fast and accurate.

jksmurf
2007-08-14, 04:08 AM
Oh... and I think I haven't stressed it in the docs, but YOU MUST have MEncoder installed now, in it's default location (I'll make it portable some other time)

C:\Program Files\mplayer

ZProcess uses mplayer to get the file info like dimensions and fps. It's very good fast and accurate.

Will try the above when I get home, thanks for helping me set it back to "zero", I REALLY appreciate "initial states", in case you FUBAR it (like I do too often)... in my haste.

btw which SECTION is the second batch in?

Sounds good. One Q. "MEncoder installed", what does that mean? JUST the executable in that path or actually install MPLAYER (which installs MEncoder?). I had just put MEncoder.exe under /devnz/gbpvr/Thirdparty (like ffmpeg) and tried to point to it....

k.

p.s. Rugby is the ultimate game... it's going to be a good year.... no mamby pamby hockey players in protective gear bouncing off the plexiglass :-)

zehd
2007-08-14, 04:23 AM
Will try the above when I get home, thanks for helping me set it back to "zero", I REALLY appreciate "initial states", in case you FUBAR it (like I do too often)... in my haste.

btw which SECTION is the second batch in?

Sounds good. One Q. "MEncoder installed", what does that mean? JUST the executable in that path or actually install MPLAYER (which installs MEncoder?). I had just put MEncoder.exe under /devnz/gbpvr/Thirdparty (like ffmpeg) and tried to point to it....

k.

p.s. Rugby is the ultimate game... it's going to be a good year.... no mamby pamby hockey players in protective gear bouncing off the plexiglass :-)

haha. Moving to Australia. It will be Kharma indeed for this Canadian. Aussie Footbal, Cricket and Rugby. My head will explode from all the new rules. Good thing I'm bringing my hockey helmet. Keep the blood and brain bits contained...

You can always look at the master don't edit version of config.xml (in your GB-PVR dir) and compare that way...

Yes, install all of MEncoder in it's default folder (including the mplayer and stuff)

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/ZTools#toc8

Oh and if you're resetting things... run the RemoveAllZProcess.reg too...

zehd
2007-08-14, 05:25 AM
That MP4 that I had was 720x544. Since I wasn't dealing with PAL yet, somehow I ended up with a NTSC Output rectangle of 720x484. That was off by 4 and the mpg wouldn't play. I've hardcoded a fudge to prevent exceeding certain dimensions...

I'll probably be be doing something like that for PAL.

jksmurf
2007-08-14, 05:34 AM
Turn key setup. Double-click on the exe once and it’s set up!

So I do NOT need to touch any of those settings in ZProcess Settings, they are ONLY for manual transcodes? (I was hoping to up the CPU priority (why only normal/below normal btw) for the automagic MVP transcode...

btw, the Setting windows ... you can't drag them out of the way (either of them)...AND you've updated Zprocess again, you sneaky wee devil...

k.

zehd
2007-08-14, 07:33 AM
I've taken a stab at settings for PAL...

If you RemoveAllZProcess.reg, and then run ZProcess, the first question you'll see is "Do you want to use PAL defaults".

Yes will initialize PAL defaults, and No will set NTSC defaults...

By default, the Trans2MVP PAL profile uses 640x576 for dimensions and forces Frames/sec to 25...

I'd love to hear if this is working for you...

jksmurf
2007-08-14, 07:41 AM

Tonight baby, tonight....

...and I'll get onto this too zehd, don't worry... :D

k.

jksmurf
2007-08-14, 02:29 PM
I've taken a stab at settings for PAL...

If you RemoveAllZProcess.reg, and then run ZProcess, the first question you'll see is "Do you want to use PAL defaults".

Yes will initialize PAL defaults, and No will set NTSC defaults...

By default, the Trans2MVP PAL profile uses 640x576 for dimensions and forces Frames/sec to 25...

Well it was a good 3 secs... what happened was this (MVP problem was Firewall btw,. for SOME reason ALL my firewall settings were reset, so I re-allowed PVRX2 through FW, all OK now.... MS? :confused: )

For kicks I tried without the PAL update. Showed a pic (Big Black Bars T&B), no audio and froze after 3 secs.
PAL update, as above, all good install-wise, nice message (might want to add a little text to the box NO=NTSC).
Ran again, SOUND!, ran 3 secs with better Video Aspect, then audio popped and exited ungraciously back to menu (XRECORD). So it runs, but .. not for long.
Odd thing is logs stopped... I tried again and again to capture logs ??? I attach what I got.Thanks for trying zehd, I LIKE the simple install ...

I used YAMB http://yamb.unite-video.com/ to split the x264 (mp4). GREAT spiltter, FAST, recommended (Joiner too btw), uses mp4box.

Is 10MB OK? About 1.5 mins. I uploaded it to here (http://www.maxmurfitt.com/Kristian/Scotland_v_Ireland_HQ_x264_001.mp4.zip). Take OFF the .zip extension, it is NOT a zip file. (ftp server is fussy about mp4's...)

Cheers and HTH!
k.

zehd
2007-08-14, 04:19 PM
Ran again, SOUND!, ran 3 secs with better Video Aspect, then audio popped and exited ungraciously back to menu (XRECORD). So it runs, but .. not for long.

XRecord??? What are you doing in XRecord. I'd rather you troubleshoot from default use. Start a video * from Video Library...

Odd thing is logs stopped... I tried again and again to capture logs ??? I attach what I got.[/LIST]Thanks for trying zehd, I LIKE the simple install ...

New version of GB-PVR has different logging as far as I know. It doesn't matter to me. I don't need the GB-PVR logs

I used YAMB http://yamb.unite-video.com/ to split the x264 (mp4). GREAT spiltter, FAST, recommended (Joiner too btw), uses mp4box.

We will not need to use any of that technique

You may have missed it, but I don't need the file now. In fact I don't want you to troubleshoot with that huge MP4. I was serious when I was joking that you can't trust stuff from the net. Especially live recordings.. I'd rather be sure ZProcess2 is working with a known working source.

Big Question. Were you able to on the fly transcode with the original ZProcess? If not, then you may be out of luck with version 2 until we can find out what's binding up your system...

Let me explain a few things.
ZProcess 2 is not designed for manual transcodes. It is not designed for case by case tweaking.
When you find some settings you like and stick to it... I still don't know if the PAL defaults are working for you...
That's by design that you can't move the windows around. Not supposed to be looking at other programs when you're looking at mine anyway. Kinda jealous that way...

Comparing settings from one program to another is apples to oranges...

With the time difference, seems I get a pile of ideas during your work day, and then some ideas get lost in the shuffle when you trouble shoot. So here is a simple list of things to do, consistently when testing...

Download... Always download the very latest version from wiki. Read the install notes

Install... Run RemoveAllZProcess.reg (whenever you get a new version).

First Run...Run ZProcess2. Choose PAL or NTSC. (jksmurf should always choose PAL) Close ZProcess2.

Use... You should be able to start a video (a tried and true avi) from Video Library. After a bit, you should see Video and Audio. Aspect ratio might be off a bit. (That's for later troubleshooting)

If the Video cuts out, then troubleshoot this and only this... Usually, when a video ends prematurely it's because you have to adjust the pre-play delay. Adjust that in the GB-PVR config...

---

Once the test video plays back completely. You can try that Rugby mp4. If it starts but drops out, raise the preplay again. keep raising it. WSatch to see if the file lasts longer and longer before it carps out

---

In theory, ZProcess 2 PAL defaults should be close enough to work and you only need to adjust preplay in GB-PVR Config.

If all this doesn't work, then we may be at a standstill until I move to PAL land...

EDIT I did find a glitch that I want to fix. Check this thread out for an all clear to try another version...

EDIT 2 The patch is ready, v 2.0.10

jksmurf
2007-08-14, 11:54 PM
XRecord??? What are you doing in XRecord. I'd rather you troubleshoot from default use. Start a video from Video Library... Sorry:o , I didn't think it would make a difference, as I thought XRecord was just another way to launch a file. I'll try it from the base-system Video Library or Recordings

New version of GB-PVR has different logging as far as I know. It doesn't matter to me. I don't need the GB-PVR logsOK.

You may have missed it, but I don't need the file now. Yes I missed that, sorry :o .... I looked again, but not sure where you mentioned it. :confused:

In fact I don't want you to troubleshoot with that huge MP4. I was serious when I was joking that you can't trust stuff from the net. Especially live recordings.. I'd rather be sure ZProcess2 is working with a known working source. OK

Big Question. Were you able to on the fly transcode with the original ZProcess? If not, then you may be out of luck with version 2 until we can find out what's binding up your system...I never tried on the fly Transcoding it to be honest. IIRC last time we did a round with ZProcess, I was looking at Transcoding one of these using your utility, then playing the mpeg natively. When I went back to the Plugins dir, it said here's "ZProcess2", so like any geek, I thought "cool, an update" and tried that. Shall I try Zprocess1?

ZProcess 2 is not designed for manual transcodes. It is not designed for case by case tweaking.I'm really not trying to do a manual transcode. I understood from the WIKI that it is install it and use it, which is why I said I like the simple install. The manual profiles are there for .... testing and transcoding from the Transcode menu ??

When you find some settings you like and stick to it... I still don't know if the PAL defaults are working for you...OK.

That's by design that you can't move the windows around. Not supposed to be looking at other programs when you're looking at mine anyway. Kinda jealous that way...Comparing settings from one program to another is apples to oranges...OK :o

With the time difference, seems I get a pile of ideas during your work day, and then some ideas get lost in the shuffle when you trouble shoot. So here is a simple list of things to do, consistently when testing....Look, I'm sorry about this zehd, it's no reflection on your utility, which for me looks 10x easier than the first one. I'm not saying "your program doesn't work, it's rubbish". I'd really LIKE it to work, it's the geek in me.

Download... Always download the very latest version from wiki. Read the install notes Install... Run RemoveAllZProcess.reg (whenever you get a new version). First Run...Run ZProcess2. Choose PAL or NTSC. (jksmurf should always choose PAL) Close ZProcess2.Well to be fair, I did do all that and it installed OK, as I wrote above, and gave me the correct messages about PAL etc.

Use... You should be able to start a video (a tried and true avi) from Video Library. After a bit, you should see Video and Audio. Aspect ratio might be off a bit. (That's for later troubleshooting)OK. I'll need to find one somehwere. I don't think I have any test ones, apart from ones from a Kodak Video Camera.

If the Video cuts out, then troubleshoot this and only this... Usually, when a video ends prematurely it's because you have to adjust the pre-play delay. Adjust that in the GB-PVR config... OK, will do.

Once the test video plays back completely. You can try that Rugby mp4. If it starts but drops out, raise the preplay again. keep raising it. Watch to see if the file lasts longer and longer before it carps out... In theory, ZProcess 2 PAL defaults should be close enough to work and you only need to adjust preplay in GB-PVR Config....If all this doesn't work, then we may be at a standstill until I move to PAL land...
OK

EDIT I did find a glitch that I want to fix. Check this thread out for an all clear to try another version...

EDIT 2 The patch is ready, v 2.0.10

OK, I'll have a crack at that tonight.

Thanks zehd, for your patience. Like I said, it's no reflection on you, and I'm happy to go through this with you. If you don't think I'm following the instructions correctly, then I can understand your frustration.

k.

zehd
2007-08-15, 11:37 PM
Reading your reply, seeing my quotes, I had no idea that I sounded THAT frustrated. I'm very sorry if it appeared that way. :o

Also, when I said tried and true AVI's, I meant something that you may have downloaded and watch with the MVP, then it dawned on me that you don't use the MVP that way. You very rarely watch NON MPGS on the MVP and that's why you appear so new with ZProcess, even though I remember working with you a long while back. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a couple small things that I know work...

I do need as much help as possible. I need to get the word out about ZProcess2. It's really better, (the insides at least) and I need users so I know what features I need to add back in and what I can leave behind...

More features means more difficult to use...

As far as tweaking, I'd like to work with you about tweaking for PAL before I get to OZ, just so I know that it works for NTSC and PAL. It would suck to move and then break something for NTSC users...

When I get home, I'll reply to some of your other thoughts...

jksmurf
2007-08-15, 11:56 PM
No worries zehd, sent you a PM.

You're a very very patient fellow.

I tried it again with ZProcess2 update (same behaviour) but haven't fiddled with the pre-play delay yet (wife wanted to watch something), so it was really just a quick test.

I thought I'd try the tweaking with the test file first as you recommended.

Cheers and THANKS!
k.

jksmurf
2007-08-16, 12:32 AM
I understand (for the benefit of other readers) that preplay delay only affects non MPGs.

So this means the adjusted preplay delay will apply ONLY to non-MPG shows played over the MVP, it doesn't adjust it for normal mpgs right?

k.

zehd
2007-08-16, 03:42 AM
I understand (for the benefit of other readers) that preplay delay only affects non MPGs.

So this means the adjusted preplay delay will apply ONLY to non-MPG shows played over the MVP, it doesn't adjust it for normal mpgs right?

k.

That's right... basically the MVP only plays MPGs. So if you want to watch a
non-MPG like your rugby match which is in MP4 format, it has to be converted (transcoded) into mpg format. Having it automatically transcode on demand is what we call transcode on-the-fly.

It takes some time to transcode a file. It won't happen all at once. And so in order for the transcoder to get a bit of the file converted before GB-PVR starts playing the final MPG you set the preplay delay -- you tell GB-PVR to wait a bit so the transcoder can get a headstart...

If there isn't enough of a head start, GB-PVR catches up to the end of file, and everyone becomes unhappy...

If you add more preplay delay, then ther's a larger headstart, and the chances that GB-PVR will catch up are less likely...

zehd
2007-08-16, 05:21 AM
First off, give me an idea what time you work and what time you play with GB-PVR... What's the time zone. Same as Australia?

Anyway, I'm about to show you a backdoor for ZProcess. This is not supposed to be regular user's operation. This is so you can go through several settings quickly, so that you can report back what settings worked well for you.

It involves NOT using the MVP. I want to be sure that ZProcess and your test video file, open and start transcoding smoothly, without hesitation. I want to be sure that the audio and video are smooth too. When we have the settings, we can start trying on the MVP...

First off, we're not using ZProcess. We're using ZTranscode, which should also be in the ZProcess folder.

Once ZTranscode is open, click Test. This fills in some blanks with MY test defaults. You will probably get an error or two because I'll bet you do not have a copy of that Robot Chicken in that folder...

The Recordings directory, might be a problem. You could just create a C:\TV\Recorded\ while we test... or hand change the path. But next time you click 'Test', you'll have to do it again. Might be easier to create the folders like I have them for these tests...

Now Double-click on the Input File Text box. You can browse to your Rugby game Test Clip.

Now we should change some settings. Click Settings...

Since it is pretty much on defaults from when you just installed, you will only have to change a few things.

Make sure that Trans2MVP profile is selected.

Uncheck Hide Consoles (we want to see the console window...

Change the Audio Freq to 48000. I think that 44100 won't cut it for your file. It was really garbled sound for me. I will be changing the default in the next version...

We will leave the dimensions at 640x576 for right now, but later we'll be changing this value. When done, click 'save'

Now for the new settings to take effect, we need to reload the test file. Double-click the Input textbox, and slect that test file again.

Now, we're ready to watch some transcoding. Click Start... The transcode console should start minimized. If you restore it, you'll unoubtedly see lots of error. who cares... But it is moving...

We're looking to see that the file finishes, rather than stops prematurely...

Unfortunately, MP4's don't report their frame count, so I'm unable to calculate the progress. So it's 0% until its 100%...

When it is finished, load the final MPG into Windows Media player or whatever. Does the video play smootly, does the audio sound OK...

(I noticed that the video was a little choppy for me. I saw that on the original MP4 clip too, so I didn't worry...)

Next, Do you have VLC installed in it's default location? C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC I hope so. Now we're going to stress test you system.

We're going to do the same thing, start a transcode, but about 5 seconds in, we're going to click View, which starts VLC with the output file... The transcode should be able to keep ahead of the video file. If VLC craps out, then try starting it a few seconds later... Get an idea for how long. That's going to be your preplay delay. (I'll make this task a lot easier in the future)

----

whew. That's a lot. Next major assignment is in next post...

zehd
2007-08-16, 05:42 AM
The next step, you'll need to run back and forth from your server to the MVP. For better WAF, give your sweety a hundred dollars and send her shopping...

From the MVP try the test file. How long does the file play? three seconds, four? (also keep in mind the aspect ratio of the picture... on a 4x3 TV it should be Letterbox...(Black Bars on top and bottom and the people aren't stretched or squashed...)

To change the preplay delay, I will want you to do it from the GB-PVR config. Something is different with the latest GB-PVR and if I try and restart it in ZProcess, it gets messed if there is also a MVP session running...

If your preplay delay is at 5500, (default - 5.5 sec) crank it 10000.

Now check the video on the MVP again. Did the video last longer?

While it is playing, you can press the blue button to watch the progress of the transcode. The end time should be racing ahead faster than the current position time. Hopefully, the distance will continue to grow... If it doesn't, we may have a computer speed issue...

I'm hoping that with the right preplay delay, the video will transcode all the way through. I'm hoping that the aspect ratio will be correct. It SHOULD be letterbox...

I'm assuming your testing on a 4x3 PAL TV... And I'm assuming that your MVP is already set to PAL....and 16x9 using the Hauppauge software.

yes I said 16x9. Even if you use a 4x3 TV, the MVP should be set with the Hauppauge software to 16x9. I can explain that later.

If you can get the video to play through, then we can play some more with video dimensions...

Hope that this will get you started with testing.

Here are the questions I need answered.

Does the video play through? Does end time trod slowly, and is it easy for the current time to catch up to the end time? Or does the End time scream away into the distance, leaving the current time in the dust? (Do you even know what I'm talking about? Have you seen the progress OSD on the MVP like I described?

How's the Video/Audio, on the computer? On the MVP?

Is the image squashed or stretched? Are there any black bars on the left and right sides? Is the Letterbox centered from top to bottom?

Also, if you want to try a couple of different dimensions, (while I sleep)...

Open the settings, make sure Trans2MVP is selected... Click either 720x576 or 352x288 for dimensions.... save, and try again...

jksmurf
2007-08-16, 05:55 AM
bl**dy hell... that'll keep me busy for 6 months ... that'll teach me to come back asking Q's :D

Cheers zehd.
k.

zehd
2007-08-16, 06:02 AM
bl**dy hell... that'll keep me busy for 6 months ... that'll teach me to come back asking Q's :D

Cheers zehd.
k.

And in the process (err ZProcess) you'll learn more about ZProcess, and then keep me busy with feature requests...

jksmurf
2007-08-17, 05:12 AM
First off, give me an idea what time you work and what time you play with GB-PVR... What's the time zone. Same as Australia?2 hours ahead of Oz.

... You will probably get an error or two because I'll bet you do not have a copy of that Robot Chicken in that folder...the Recordings directory, might be a problem. You could just create a C:\TV\Recorded\ while we test... or hand change the path. But next time you click 'Test', you'll have to do it again. Might be easier to create the folders like I have them for these tests...yes, Error No. 13 (about 2~3 of them) I made a Chicken Dir, for kicks, but you don't need it.

Change the Audio Freq to 48000. I think that 44100 won't cut it for your file. It was really garbled sound for me. I will be changing the default in the next version...Did that. Wondered about mp3 as normally use mp2 for MVP. No change in CPU priority?...would this not help? Also wondered why both input-output files have 25fps/25 fps but the settings said 29.97 and force PAL?

Now for the new settings to take effect, we need to reload the test file. Double-click the Input textbox, and slect that test file again.Did that but not sure why you need to load the file, then reload it. Why not set settings, then load it once?

Now, we're ready to watch some transcoding. Click Start... The transcode console should start minimized. If you restore it, you'll unoubtedly see lots of error. who cares... But it is moving...Yes to all those. Thing makes a log in Thridparty/Ztools, but deletes it at the end before you can look at it?

We're looking to see that the file finishes, rather than stops prematurely...it finishes OK.

Unfortunately, MP4's don't report their frame count, so I'm unable to calculate the progress. So it's 0% until its 100%... Yup

When it is finished, load the final MPG into Windows Media player or whatever. Does the video play smootly, does the audio sound OK...I made two of them. Transcodes took approx. 1 to 2 mins. One from the first 10MB (start that you got) and one from the 45~60MB mark (15MB), just to be sure. The video on the first was smooth enough and played right through, the audio kept popping. The second video was weird, the video was OK initially but then a section of the commentary on the audio repeated several times before it continued.

(I noticed that the video was a little choppy for me. I saw that on the original MP4 clip too, so I didn't worry...)Yeah, I didn't notice it TBH when I played it on my PC (watched the whole hting on my PC last week)

(Next, Do you have VLC installed in it's default location? C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC I hope so. Now we're going to stress test you system.Yes. Awesome proggy.

.. start a transcode, but about 5 seconds in, we're going to click View, which starts VLC with the output file... The transcode should be able to keep ahead of the video file. If VLC craps out, then try starting it a few seconds later... Get an idea for how long. That's going to be your preplay delay. This one told me my PC is too slow (I think). I tried 5 secs, approx 10 secs, approx 20 secs and each time, although it took a wee bit longer, the thing caught up. You can even watch the time on the lower LHS, but the arrow raced away to the right and the bar did not keep, up even after 20s delay ... :(

The next step, you'll need to run back and forth from your server to the MVP. For better WAF, give your sweety a hundred dollars and send her shopping... $100? You kidding? That's in the FIRST shop...

From the MVP try the test file. How long does the file play? three seconds, four? (also keep in mind the aspect ratio of the picture... on a 4x3 TV it should be Letterbox...(Black Bars on top and bottom and the people aren't stretched or squashed...)About 4s. Letterbox.

To change the preplay delay, I will want you to do it from the GB-PVR config. Something is different with the latest GB-PVR and if I try and restart it in ZProcess, it gets messed if there is also a MVP session running...OK

If your preplay delay is at 5500, (default - 5.5 sec) crank it 10000.
Now check the video on the MVP again. Did the video last longer?
No, it didn't, oddly. I tried 10, 15, 20. Still only runs about 4~6s then stops.

While it is playing, you can press the blue button to watch the progress of the transcode. The end time should be racing ahead faster than the current position time. Hopefully, the distance will continue to grow... If it doesn't, we may have a computer speed issue... I'm hoping that with the right preplay delay, the video will transcode all the way through. I'm hoping that the aspect ratio will be correct. It SHOULD be letterbox...
It doesn't grow.

I'm assuming your testing on a 4x3 PAL TV... And I'm assuming that your MVP is already set to PAL....and 16x9 using the Hauppauge software. yes I said 16x9. Even if you use a 4x3 TV, the MVP should be set with the Hauppauge software to 16x9. I can explain that later. If you can get the video to play through, then we can play some more with video dimensions...Yes, I am testing on a 4x3 PAL TV, BUT (and this is the ONLY thing I did not do) I'm sorry I did NOT try to change to 16:9 ... I am using the mvmpmc dongle and I was going to try and see if I could do it there using the emulation script .. BUT, for THIS test, is it mission-critical?

Here are the questions I need answered. Does the video play through? Not in the original mp4 file (or sample) test. (Only the transcoded mpg done in part I of your post)

Does end time trod slowly, and is it easy for the current time to catch up to the end time? Yes.

Or does the End time scream away into the distance, leaving the current time in the dust?No, I hardly even get time to press teh blue button to see where it is...

(Do you even know what I'm talking about? Have you seen the progress OSD on the MVP like I described?Yes. I rarely use the PC. I always use teh blue button to see where I am when watching a show (and to check out the comskip marks).

How's the Video/Audio, on the computer? Fine. When I watched the whole thing using imported mp4 and PVRX2 -fse, it was fine, at leasst Video. I really didn't notice the audio, but IIRC it was OK.

On the MVP?As above. 4s (6s max) and craps outs (Video jumps back to the recordings menu) same as Xrecord.

Is the image squashed or stretched? Are there any black bars on the left and right sides? Is the Letterbox centered from top to bottom?It is fine. Aspect is fine. There are black bars T&B. Yes, centered.

Also, if you want to try a couple of different dimensions, (while I sleep)...Actually, first I'd like to confirm it IS my PC then ask Santa for a new one :-)

HTH!

Cheers,
k.

zehd
2007-08-18, 06:10 PM
The posts are getting to long, so I'll keep this short. I should have told you in on of the steps:

.. start a transcode, but about 5 seconds in, we're going to click View, which starts VLC with the output file... The transcode should be able to keep ahead of the video file. If VLC craps out, then try starting it a few seconds later... Get an idea for how long. That's going to be your preplay delay.

If you can't get this part. You should stop with further tests...

Basically, if your computer can't keep up with transcoding and viewing at the same time, then you have a PC Speed problem...

To be clear, I didn't expect you to be trying this with the mvpmc dongle, though my brief tests indicate that that WILL not be a problem; we don't need to worry about it. But for the future, when you test something new and have troubles, I suggest a reset to defaults...

There are a couple of reasons that I think you are having trouble transcoding 'faster than real-time'

Speed of computer: Although sub thinks the specs should be a lot higher than I do (I have all my computers run at 2Ghz and it's fine with ZProcess), I know that if you have a suspect computer, competing processes are the most likely culprit. In fact I know of people who have VERY fast computers and they still have trouble because of competing processes...

Changing priority is not the solution. One reason I have only provided a choice of 'Below Normal' and 'Normal' is that people think that 'Above Normal' solves the problem, when it really brings the PC to its knees. Default Priorities for all processes (GB-PVR recording service, MVP Server etc) is recommended...

Have a look at this tip from the ZProcess1 wiki page

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/ZProcess1#toc33

I'm leaning toward this:

Actually, first I'd like to confirm it IS my PC then ask Santa for a new one :-)

But before, what specs do you have?

jksmurf
2007-08-19, 12:20 AM
Ok short post :o

If you can't get this part. You should stop with further tests...

I did respond to that part. Here's what I said:

This one told me my PC is too slow (I think). I tried 5 secs, approx 10 secs, approx 20 secs and each time, although it took a wee bit longer, the thing caught up. You can even watch the time on the lower LHS, but the arrow raced away to the right and the bar did not keep, up even after 20s delay ... :(

I'm leaning toward this:
Me too

But before, what specs do you have?Most are in my sig. Is there anything else specific you need?

Thanks!

k.

zehd
2007-08-19, 03:33 AM
k.

I'm tired... sorry missed the specs. Yeah They're quite low end...

You might have success if you set ZProcess to use VCD PAL which would be 352x288. That difference in size makes a huge difference... But then you'dd still have some trouble eventually...

I remember I was able to get the transcode on the fly happen with a PIII 700 but I really had the OS tricked out, and stripped...

My Ex got a Celeron D, ~3GHZ and it started working well right out of the box, though I still trimmed a lot of fat on that one...

I have 1GB of RAM on all my machines, and 2GHz for both my own dev machine and online PVR....but it seems to be OK with 512MB of RAM...