PDA

View Full Version : playing DVDs- better controls?

toomanyhandles
2007-06-13, 07:05 PM
I can play DVD discs fine with the DVD button that is present by default; but I don't have much for controls to fuss with playback- 2X forward, FF/Rev would be nice, without going entire chapters back.

I can switch to VLC when I need to do that (we skip around a bit in DVDs to find segments to use to in a classroom setting) but I wondered if I were missing something obvious; or can you mostly just skip ahead/back via chapters and not any other means?

Smoker
2007-06-13, 07:10 PM
I can play DVD discs fine with the DVD button that is present by default; but I don't have much for controls to fuss with playback- 2X forward, FF/Rev would be nice, without going entire chapters back.

I can switch to VLC when I need to do that (we skip around a bit in DVDs to find segments to use to in a classroom setting) but I wondered if I were missing something obvious; or can you mostly just skip ahead/back via chapters and not any other means?

yanno you could of edited your original post instead of a new thread :p

sub
2007-06-13, 07:25 PM
Assuming you're still using the default settings, you can go directly to a specific chapter by typing the channel number and pressing 'enter'. You can jump foward/back a minute by pressing the skip keys. You can jump forward/back 10 seconds by pressing the FF/RW keys. You can jump forward/back x minutes by typing 'x-skip'. These should be able to get you anywhere you want to go quickly.

toomanyhandles
2007-06-14, 11:53 AM
Assuming you're still using the default settings, you can go directly to a specific chapter by typing the channel number and pressing 'enter'. You can jump foward/back a minute by pressing the skip keys. You can jump forward/back 10 seconds by pressing the FF/RW keys. You can jump forward/back x minutes by typing 'x-skip'. These should be able to get you anywhere you want to go quickly.

OK, I'll try the keyboard options; I'm using the default settings and the Hauppauge 45? button remote; but I'm pretty sure the ff/rw butttons do nothing and the skip keys take me all the way to a chapter, for some reason- one goes all the way back to the DVD root menu.

It's not the same behaviour (10s forward/back, 1 min forward/back) as I get when watching a recorded program. I can't test at the moment but I'll reply with the results I get from the remote.