PDA

View Full Version : Cifs

andrewg
2007-06-11, 01:34 PM
Hello,

I am trying to access some cifs off a NAS directly with mvpmc. Im guessing I need to use dongle.bin.mvpmc.config , will the MVP request this file from the GBPVR software if it is in the dongle directory?

What do I need to put in dongle.bin.mvpmc.config to access it ?

- Thanks, Andrew

mvallevand
2007-06-11, 10:44 PM
Hello,

I am trying to access some cifs off a NAS directly with mvpmc. Im guessing I need to use dongle.bin.mvpmc.config , will the MVP request this file from the GBPVR software if it is in the dongle directory?

What do I need to put in dongle.bin.mvpmc.config to access it ?

Yes you should setup the share via the config file, remember assuming you are using GBPVR to load the dongle the actual filename is dongle.bin.config

Maybe it would be easier if I try to translate the Windows share command to the what mvpmc would like to see

1. Windows

net use r: \\192.168.1.100\Recordings password /user:username

2. mvpmc

# Note that linux doesn't understand drive letters so you have to mount to folder

mkdir /Recordings

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/Recordings Recordings/ -o username=username,password=password

username and password are determined by how you set up the NAS.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-14, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I gave that a go, i created a file called dongle.bin.config in c:\program files\devnz\gbpvr\dongle with the following in it:

mkdir /Recordings
mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC/ Recordings

My mount is called PUBLIC and there are no passwords set, did a reboot of the MVP too.

Probably missing something simple. By the way is it possible to put a line in this config file to ensure 16:9 operation ?

Thanks again, andrew

mvallevand
2007-06-14, 05:19 PM
Hello,

I gave that a go, i created a file called dongle.bin.config in c:\program files\devnz\gbpvr\dongle with the following in it:

mkdir /Recordings
mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC/ Recordings

That could work if your NAS allows general accounts, and in fact one of mine does. You should be able to test this by telnetting to the mvp and entering these commands in order. If you get back a Password = prompt you need the -o options I talked about.

I note that you don't actually start mvpmc in your script so you will fall back to the defaults. Adding the actual startup line like this will help, update the xxx to your gbpvr server's IP address.

mvpmc --emulate 192.168.1.xxx --startup emulate -o 16:9 &

This explications assumes that you have shared the gbpvr\dongle folder with a sharename mvpmc and appropriate guest access.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-14, 07:48 PM
Sorry you;ve lost me, are you saying I need a windows share on the PC before It will download the config file, or do I need this share before I can telnet?

I tried putty to telnet to the MVP but it did not work, I tried pinging the mvp but it replied odly, not sure why though!

Pinging 192.168.1.106 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.100: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.106:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

I do not know what 192.168.1.100 is, my Default Gate is .254.

err edit: 100 is the pc i was pinging from :D

mvallevand
2007-06-14, 10:17 PM
Sorry you;ve lost me, are you saying I need a windows share on the PC before It will download the config file, or do I need this share before I can telnet?
Yes, GBPVR doesn't provide a full tftp implmentation.

I tried putty to telnet to the MVP but it did not work, I tried pinging the mvp but it replied odly, not sure why though!

[I]Pinging 192.168.1.106 with 32 bytes of data:

.106 isn't the mvpmc, in fact I that that was your NAS address, It should be pingable maybe you don't the correct address for the NAS.

Your mvp IP address will sow on the mvpmc About screen in the middle with Hostname: You should use that for telnet.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 07:54 AM
You know, dohh! It is the NAS address, I think I should give up my IT day job ! Ahem :rolleyes:

I will try again when I get home !

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 12:46 PM
You know, dohh! It is the NAS address, I think I should give up my IT day job ! Ahem :rolleyes:

I will try again when I get home !

Ok, of course the NAS IP likely should be pingable too, so the results are still odd.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 05:15 PM
I think it may have been switched off :D

Anyway, I managed to telnet to it now but im getting this errror

mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC Recordings/ -o username=PUBLIC,password=password

ive tried with and without the bits after -o
the thing is im confused, you cannot in this router actually define a username for folders, so Ive tried admin, root and the folder name PUBLIC with password set and then removed.

Any ideas?

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 05:18 PM
Any ideas?

Did you try without the -o?

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 05:48 PM
Yes, with and without. It prompts for a password without it.

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC Recordings/
Password:
mount error 22 = Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

andrewg
2007-06-15, 05:57 PM
If I remove the password off the NAS's share then it says this

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/new Recordings/
Password:
mount error 20 = Not a directory

andrewg
2007-06-15, 06:15 PM
humm I tried

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /Recordings/ -o user=admin pass=password

as parhaps my arguments are incorrect according to the help page ???

It made no difference though :D

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 07:12 PM
If I remove the password off the NAS's share then it says this

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/new Recordings/
Password:

Two question

1. is new your share name on the NAS
2. Did you do mkdir Recordings before trying the mount You can confirm with the linux equivalent of dir called ls

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 07:46 PM
Howdy,

I have a few dir on the NAS, one was called PUBLIC, the other new.

I have created the directory on the mvp
I checked in here and it is empty confirming it did not mount anything.

I tried putting /Recordings/ as the mount point instead of Recordings/
but that didnt help. I saw this format on the Wiki.

Im am more than a little confused now, probably something simple though:mad:

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 08:01 PM
Howdy,

I have a few dir on the NAS, one was called PUBLIC, the other new.

I have created the directory on the mvp
I checked in here and it is empty confirming it did not mount anything.

I tried putting /Recordings/ as the mount point instead of Recordings/
but that didnt help. I saw this format on the Wiki.

Im am more than a little confused now, probably something simple though:mad:

Directory names and share names are not the same thing. Maybe you just need

mount.cifs //192.168.1.106 Recordings/

What NAS is this? I will check to see if they have some info online.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 08:15 PM
I tried taking the PUBLIC bit off with no joy.

The nas, it seems to be a no name affair, on the case it says:

USB 2.0 Lan Disk box. The firmware is "NAS-BASIC47-B1, LOADER 69""
which seems to give more away on what it is based on.

I do not think that was very helpful though :(

If I browse on my Pc to \\192.168.1.106\ I can see the share points i created on the NAS in the web client, PUBLIC (which was a default share) and the one I created called new

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 09:23 PM
It's unfortunate because if it is a device like this

http://www.cnet.com.tw/product/cld-101.htm

it is probably Samba based and networking it with mvpmc should be trivial

I would suggest trying the following if you have no password or accounts set up. It is something I think might be better for mvpmc anyway

mkdir /Recordings

mount.cifs //172.16.3.106/public /Recordings/ -o guest.

ls /Recordings

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 09:35 PM
It is indeed samba based.

I tried the guest account before, not quite in the syntax youve sugested though, Got a different error message

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /Recordings/ -o guest

It was cheap, I managed to get one when people where not bidding over the odds for one, check this link out, not that Id sugest anyone paid much for it :D : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NAS-SERVER-Hard-Disk-Drive-Network-Storage-Enclosure_W0QQitemZ120131885104QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 86758QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

its not worth what they are bidding on it now though :rolleyes:

mvallevand
2007-06-15, 10:09 PM
Its possible that some NAS's aren't compatible with mount.cifs

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=9500

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-15, 10:33 PM
ive been messing around alot, Im not sure how as I cannot duplicate it with the same command but I managed to get it to return no errors.

Only problem is when I did a list in the dir it came up blank, but there are files in there.

Reading that posting youve provided it sounds like there is a fix in using "smbmount" but is there space on the MVP for this code?

It seems the mount command from busy box won't work as it does not know about samba drives. :(

hmm, ive not really used linux for a decade :eek:

THanks for your help anyway !

mvallevand
2007-06-16, 03:42 PM
ive been messing around alot, Im not sure how as I cannot duplicate it with the same command but I managed to get it to return no errors.

Only problem is when I did a list in the dir it came up blank, but there are files in there.

Reading that posting youve provided it sounds like there is a fix in using "smbmount" but is there space on the MVP for this code?

It seems the mount command from busy box won't work as it does not know about samba drives. :(

hmm, ive not really used linux for a decade :eek:

THanks for your help anyway !

My guess based the size of smbmount on one of my linux boxes is there wouldn't be enough memory.

If you want to troubleshot this further, I suggest downloading a linux live CD like knoppix which will allow you to try and mount with either cifs and with smb to see if this is your problem. The ebay page did say the NAS has cifs support. I'd be willing to help with knoppix.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-16, 09:47 PM
Ive got a spare PC here (amd 1600 XP), im going to install linux on it (Suse).
Will this version of linux help?

I wanted to have a play with MythTV etc etc, although I think gbpvr is my choice :)

I assume it does support CIFS because I connected with my Vista box without problems, or am I missing something?

I am prepared to keep trying with this NAS:cool:

mvallevand
2007-06-16, 10:08 PM
Ive got a spare PC here (amd 1600 XP), im going to install linux on it (Suse).
Will this version of linux help?

If you download Knoppix you don't have to install a distro, it will just auto boot and run from a CD.

I assume it does support CIFS because I connected with my Vista box without problems, or am I missing something?

SMB is a very old protocol, it is likely allowed for legacy used, just like it possible to add it to Linux.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-17, 12:36 PM
Just downloading Knoppix cd image, interestingly im going to have to suss out what I can use to write an ISO under Vista :D

mmatheny
2007-06-18, 10:01 PM
Get a trial of Nero

andrewg
2007-06-20, 10:07 PM
Spooky, was just going to post - downloading a trial of nero 7 as my version 5 does not seem to work ! Its downloading very slowly so it might b tommorow night that im up and running!

mvallevand
2007-06-21, 12:10 AM
Spooky, was just going to post - downloading a trial of nero 7 as my version 5 does not seem to work ! Its downloading very slowly so it might b tommorow night that im up and running!

There's also cdburn and dvdburn in one of the toolkits from Microsoft.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-21, 10:01 PM
im in linux booted off the cd... Ive no idea what im doing though :)
I sure wish I could figure out where to change the resolutionn, im using a widescreen LCD and it looks very poor :eek:

andrewg
2007-06-21, 10:12 PM
playing about with the mount.cifs keep getting this error:

mount error: can not change directory into mount target /home/rec/

i created rec in /home as could not create in the root

andrewg
2007-06-21, 10:26 PM
ahh, managed to get to a shell logged in as root :

root@knoppix://# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /rec
Password:
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount .cifs)
root@knoppix://#

mvallevand
2007-06-21, 10:31 PM
ahh, managed to get to a shell logged in as root :

root@knoppix://# mount.cifs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /rec
Password:
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount .cifs)
root@knoppix://#

Now try this

mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /rec

Note rather than logging in as root depending on security you add sudo to run the program as root ie:

sudo mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.106/PUBLIC /rec

If this works you can confirm the cifs issue on your NAS

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-21, 10:42 PM
of course, i had forgot all about sudo!

good news or bad news depending on how we want to look at it is that ive managed to mount the NAS in /rec with this command:

I was prompted for a password which I entered admin, which is the passsword to login to the web admin on the NAS

mvallevand
2007-06-22, 12:33 AM
of course, i had forgot all about sudo!

good news or bad news depending on how we want to look at it is that ive managed to mount the NAS in /rec with this command:

I was prompted for a password which I entered admin, which is the passsword to login to the web admin on the NAS

I'm glad you were able to confirm the smbfs versus cifs issue. The first think I will try is compiling the mvpmc kernel with the options on the earlier linked page when I have some time.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-22, 09:50 AM
I'm glad you were able to confirm the smbfs versus cifs issue. The first think I will try is compiling the mvpmc kernel with the options on the earlier linked page when I have some time.

Martin

thats great, I look forward to trying it :)

mvallevand
2007-06-22, 10:31 PM
thats great, I look forward to trying it :)

It's here

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/andrewg.zip

Don't expect much, it's just the kernel with CONFIG_SMB_FS=y configuration, I doubt it this will help mount.cifs.

Edit: I've been able to compile smbmount for the mvp and it is too big for the dongle. However if you are able to load a dongle.bin.config file, you should be able to load it from the mvpmc share. Download the following file and extract it on your PC to the mvpmc share folder

http://www.mvpmc.org/~mvallevand/mvp_samba.zip

Then copy the contents of samba_load.sh into your dongle.bin.config and you should be on your way.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 02:12 PM
Hello,

Will give those a try, not sure I managed to get a config file loaded from my mvpmc share. Ohh! The wife wants to go out so will have to try a bit later :eek:

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 02:26 PM
Will give those a try, not sure I managed to get a config file loaded from my mvpmc share. Ohh! The wife wants to go out so will have to try a bit later :eek:

Sounds good. I'm under a no computing between 10-4 rule on weekends starting in 1/2 an hour so I can't really help now anyway. Good luck on the share, hopefully you haven't disable too many things.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 02:37 PM
heh outing delayed, its 2:35pm here, wellinto your no go time :)

What command should i be using on the test dongle, i tried

but that doesnt work, we've tried so many im lost:(

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 02:42 PM
heh outing delayed, its 2:35pm here, wellinto your no go time :)

What command should i be using on the test dongle, i tried

but that doesnt work, we've tried so many im lost:(

If mount.cifs doesn't work, and I didn't expect that it would, I'm afraid you will need the mvpmc share. You can try and load it from telnet too.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 06:54 PM
not having too much luck with this, ive created a share called mvpmc (is it case sensitive?) "Everyone" appears to have full control, in the dongle.bin.config file I have just stuck one line in saying mkdir /Recordings

I rebooted the MVP by using the command reboot via telnet.

Reconnect and verify the dir is created, which it is not.

Any ideas? - seems im hitting a hurdle at every stage :confused:

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 07:27 PM
not having too much luck with this, ive created a share called mvpmc (is it case sensitive?) "Everyone" appears to have full control, in the dongle.bin.config file I have just stuck one line in saying mkdir /Recordings

I rebooted the MVP by using the command reboot via telnet.

Reconnect and verify the dir is created, which it is not.

Any ideas? - seems im hitting a hurdle at every stage :confused:

It's not 16h yet but this is quick so I'm sure SWMBO won't mind. Have a look at this thread. http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=26324

Everyone and guest accounts are not the same. Also before trying to load the config file I suggest just doing the mount.cifs via telnet. Finally (for now) instead of username and password I know am confident that -o guest will work.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 10:05 PM
humm this is complicated, at least for my brain :D

Ive tried enabling the guest account, then I read that would not make a difference :)

So I enabled sharing without a password needed in Vista.

I issued via telnet "mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /test -o username=guest"

it prompts for a passwsord, which i hit enter and then i get mount error 20, not a directory.

andrewg
2007-06-23, 10:16 PM
finnaly I sussed it

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /test -o username=guest

mounted to /test the config stuff is visible

why oh why did i decide if i used vista at home it would give me a head start at work .. ahem !

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 10:30 PM
humm this is complicated, at least for my brain :D

Setting up a share with XP works by default if you personally haven't changed it, but it's a little harder in Vista. When you right click the mvpmc folder make sure you add guest as shown in the attached image.

Ive tried enabling the guest account, then I read that would not make a difference :)

There are two, the guest windows account which is not necessary and the guest share access which is.

So I enabled sharing without a password needed in Vista.

I issued via telnet "mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /test -o username=guest"

it prompts for a passwsord, which i hit enter and then i get mount error 20, not a directory.

I do get the 20 if Guest isn't selected. To avoid the password change your command line to

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /test -o guest

Martin

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 10:38 PM
finnaly I sussed it

mount.cifs //192.168.1.100/mvpmc /test -o username=guest

mounted to /test the config stuff is visible

why oh why did i decide if i used vista at home it would give me a head start at work .. ahem !

Great now I'm really curious if you will be able to smbmount your NAS!

I think using Vista will give you a head start, it is a big change Microsoft haven't and an OS version change for a long time, and there's lots to learn. I can't even begin to guess when they will change at my work, it will be bigger then Win 9x to Win 2K for sure.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 11:01 PM
is that image from the home version of Vista? im using business, i do not recall seeing anything quite like that.

Tried mounting the NAS again with

# mount.cifs //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /new -o username=admin password=admin

but getting an error 20 , not a directory still, not sure what you wanted me to try ??

I often wonder if we end up on a Linux desktop, im going on a linux course in two weeks, Novell Suse, I think its a bit basic though, just GUI stuff, which to be honest ive not used. WHen I used linux previously it was all shell based.

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 11:26 PM
is that image from the home version of Vista? im using business, i do not recall seeing anything quite like that.

Premium. That dialog comes up when you right click a folder -> Select Share... -> Change Sharing Permissions

Tried mounting the NAS again with
# mount.cifs //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /new -o username=admin password=admin

That won't work, so if you don't want to modify the config file as I suggested earlier, which is the permanent solution enter this via telnet. Relace # with that portion of your MediaMVP IP address.

mkdir /usr/local
mkdir /usr/local/samba
mkdir /usr/local/samba/lib
echo "interfaces = 192.168.1.#/24" > /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
PATH=/etc/mvpmc:$PATH
ln -s /etc/mvpmc/libdl-0.9.28.so /lib/libdl.so.0

mkdir /new
smbmount //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /new -o username=admin,password=admin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 11:49 PM
Im gettiing the following, I will try again in the morning when I am a little more alert, itis nearing midnight here :o

# smbmount //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /new -o username=admin,password=admin
load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.ISO8859-1 does not exist.

edit: oh wait it did mount the drive :D

mvallevand
2007-06-23, 11:52 PM
Im gettiing the following, I will try again in the morning when I am a little more alert, itis nearing midnight here :o

# smbmount //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /new -o username=admin,password=admin
load_client_codepage: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/codepage.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.850 does not exist.
load_unicode_map: filename /usr/local/samba/lib/codepages/unicode_map.ISO8859-1 does not exist.

Those are warnings, I didn't worry about the code page setup in the kernel. It looks like it might have worked.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-23, 11:56 PM
yeah it worked, ivbe just stuck those lines into the config file and issued a reboot to see if it picks them up automatically!

and the result is (before i hit submit) : humm not picked up the config :(

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 12:06 AM
yeah it worked, ivbe just stuck those lines into the config file and issued a reboot to see if it picks them up automatically!

and the result is (before i hit submit) : humm not picked up the config :(

I copied this from another thread

The most important thing about setting up the share is following Step 2 on the wiki. You can confirm you have done this by telnetting to your mvp and issuing the following command

cat /etc/tftp.config

If you don't see your server IP the share won't load.

If the IP is right, attach a copy of your config file and I'll have a look.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-24, 09:40 AM
Good morning,

the TFTP address appears to be correct (my gbpvr server)

To be honest, i do not think im fully understanding this config file properly, which I have suspected for a while. Its hard to get my head round all of this booting a linux device from another PC :)

I have taken the lines of code you gave me before to see if I can get direct access to the NAS shared, as follows:

mkdir /usr/local
mkdir /usr/local/samba
mkdir /usr/local/samba/lib
echo "interfaces = 192.168.1.106/24" > /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
PATH=/etc/mvpmc:$PATH
ln -s /etc/mvpmc/libdl-0.9.28.so /lib/libdl.so.0

mkdir /NAS
smbmount //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /NAS -o username=admin,password=admin

EDIT: I just looked on the MVP on the tv screen and notice in the dir structure that there are two /NAS, one of them has a character after it that I cannot recreate, I wonder if it has mounted twice - 1) manually and 2) via the config file with some strange characters, but I see nothing on the config file that might cause this (spaces etc)

EDIT 2: I pulled the power and its definately the config file thats created /NAS? - ? being a square(?)

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 12:27 PM
Good morning, EDIT 2: I pulled the power and its definately the config file thats created /NAS? - ? being a square(?)

Good morning, so your dongle.bin.config is loading. Try the attached config file and let me know if it works. I'll be back shortly, my is telling me he needs his walk.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-24, 12:41 PM
Afternoon :D

that did something ... did a complete poweroff to make sure

the dir NAS is now created but there is nothing in it.

EDIT: actually, im not sure what its doing, i issued
smbmount //192.168.1.103/PUBLIC /NAS -o username=admin,password=admin

at the command line and it says -sh: smbmount: not found

so ive no idea which bits it is loading the the config, it all works find if you enter via telnet,. I even played some mp3 off the NAS :D

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 12:46 PM
Afternoon :D

that did something ... did a complete poweroff to make sure

the dir NAS is now created but there is nothing in it.

Could you confirm your IP addresses based on your file you have

mvp .106
NAS .103

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-24, 12:50 PM
mvp .106
NAS .103

Martin

Those are definately correct.

EDIT : echo "interfaces = 192.168.1.103/24" changed from 106 and I think its working .. im not sure a reboot command totally reboots so I will go downstairs and power cycle it :D

EDIT 2: power cycles and /NAS is empty again, so I guess a reboot isnt a full reboot.

EDIT 3: It does not seem to have created this dir "mkdir /usr/local/samba/lib"

EDIT 4: whats the record for most edits in a post? I did a reboot and it working, I put the config file back to 106, im not sure what Ive done now !

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 01:12 PM
Those are definately correct.

EDIT : echo "interfaces = 192.168.1.103/24" changed from 106 and I think its working .. im not sure a reboot command totally reboots so I will go downstairs and power cycle it :D

EDIT 2: power cycles and /NAS is empty again, so I guess a reboot isnt a full reboot.

EDIT 3: It does not seem to have created this dir "mkdir /usr/local/samba/lib
"

Based on this email I'm still confused about your IP addresses since your original email had 106 for the NAS.

A reboot is definitely the same as a power off, but maybe your mvp's IP isn't static. My original example allowed for this.

The problem with your config file is you need save the file in Unix format without cr/lf which might be problem if you edit what I sent you.

Martin.

andrewg
2007-06-24, 02:12 PM
I was using DHCP, but when I plugged my 2nd MVP in upstairs it took the NAS's IP so ive changed it to a staticly assigned IP.

The MVP downstairs which Ive been testing samba with is definately now on 192.168.1.106 and the NAS is on 192.168.1.103.

I powered the MVP downstairs off at the switch and powered on, sometimes the NAS dir is empty sometimes it says wait .. and looks like its scanning it, then the files are there. I replaced the file I edited with your file.

What program can I use in windows that will keep the unix format for the text file?

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 02:44 PM
I was using DHCP, but when I plugged my 2nd MVP in upstairs it took the NAS's IP so ive changed it to a staticly assigned IP.

The MVP downstairs which Ive been testing samba with is definately now on 192.168.1.106 and the NAS is on 192.168.1.103.

I powered the MVP downstairs off at the switch and powered on, sometimes the NAS dir is empty sometimes it says wait .. and looks like its scanning it, then the files are there. I replaced the file I edited with your file.

What program can I use in windows that will keep the unix format for the text file?

The problems that you are having sound similar to a post on that thread I found on cifs/smb. I just don't know. On one of my NAS drives that accepted smbmount I did find performance was much slower than cifs and nfs. Don't hit any keys will the mvpmc please wait scan is running mvpmc doesn't like this.

I don't know what editor to recommend, but I will make a change in mvpmc sometime. It's closing in on 10 so not today :)

I've attached a new startup config script that won't care about the mvp's IP.

Edit ignore this file the pal setting is wrong.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-24, 06:47 PM
Been using that file with no problems, rebooted a few times and it seems to be working okay. Got a few judders in some mp3 though which I was not getting earlier.

I think some of this we can put down to a poor quality NAS. Maybe invest in a better one at some point.

andrewg
2007-06-24, 08:33 PM
okay I think ive found/solved a bigproblem ive been having, I had problems playing divx files straight from the NAS to my PC it kept breaking up. It also started doing this with the MVP when playing from /NAS

I have moved the NAS downstairs andplugged it right into my routers switch instead of the switch up here and all is working great !!

It appears the NAS does not like my switch, perhaps its autosending incorrectly. nothing fancy on this to force it to 100/full - or the nas for that matter :).

Quick question, if I start using newer builds will I still get this additional code to load up ok to connect to the NAS?

Also I think I found a few minor bugs, when a mp3 is playing and I select play all or similar the MVP will reboot.

mvallevand
2007-06-24, 11:55 PM
Quick question, if I start using newer builds will I still get this additional code to load up ok to connect to the NAS?

I'm discussing this on the mailing list right now. It will be in the alpha for sure and I think it would be in the baseline. There will some tweaking in the next alpha. I've also got made a change to allow a Windows style config file, mvpmc will strip out the cr's it doesn't like

Also I think I found a few minor bugs, when a mp3 is playing and I select play all or similar the MVP will reboot.

If you're talking emulation mode, that might be because of the dongle, the next alpha might fix that, if not respond on the Round IV thread after my next update. If it is the filesystem mode, you will have to direct it to the mvpmc mailing list.

Martin

andrewg
2007-06-25, 05:47 PM
I'm discussing this on the mailing list right now. It will be in the alpha for sure and I think it would be in the baseline. There will some tweaking in the next alpha. I've also got made a change to allow a Windows style config file, mvpmc will strip out the cr's it doesn't like

Martin

Okay, I will give it a go.

If you're talking emulation mode, that might be because of the dongle, the next alpha might fix that, if not respond on the Round IV thread after my next update. If it is the filesystem mode, you will have to direct it to the mvpmc mailing list.

Martin

The problem was with the direct access to the file system not via the MVP. I have subscribed to the users mailing list for mvpmc.