PDA

View Full Version : Caller ID Plugin

CodeMonkey
2004-12-08, 03:00 AM
I have a Caller ID plugin about ready. *However, there are some gbpvr issues that need to be resolved before I can officially release it. *But there are a couple things you can do to get your system ready.

For those interested in trying this, you can go and get the YAC Caller ID (http://sunflowerhead.com/software/yac/) program and get that setup and running on your network. *You can run the main YAC program either on your GBPVR box, or on another box on your network (so you don't have to have a modem in, or run a phone line to, your gbpvr box if you don't want to). *Test it out on the install machine and get it working nice. *Then when you get the CallerID plugin you just need to configure a 'listener' in YAC. *If YAC is running on the gbpvr box, you will create a listener to 'localhost'. *If it's on another box on your LAN, you set the listener to the IP of the gbpvr box.

By default, YAC (and the CallerID plugin) uses port 10629. *if this doesn't work for you, change it in YAC and in the CallerID plugin config.

That should be all there is to it!

Here (http://home.rochester.rr.com/woatman/yactest.jpg) is what it looks like now. *It will look better once sub fine tunes the method of plugins putting text on the screen. *Up until now, no one has really tried this method before. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

2004-12-08, 04:31 AM
Any chance of getting it to work with a VOIP phone?

CodeMonkey
2004-12-08, 11:38 AM
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Dec. 07 2004,19:31)]Any chance of getting it to work with a VOIP phone?
Someone would need to write a app to get calerID information from the VOIP line and send the data as a message to the CallerID program, or make that app a gbpvr plugin itself. *

Unless you have the VOIP service running over your in-house wiring (VOIP box plugged into a phone jack in your house and disconnected from the POTS line) and the VOIP service provides the caller ID format in the same way the POTS line does. *An easy way to tell is if your callerid enabled phones can display callerid information. *If they can, then this plugin should work.

EDIT: *I just checked the Vonage website (largest VOIP provider) and this was on their page:

Quote[/b] ]You can tell who's calling you before you answer the phone. It's compatible with any Caller ID-enabled touch-tone device. It's an excellent way to manage your incoming calls.

So I would say this plugin will work with Vonage at least if your modem is somehow plugged into an active phone line. *The best way to try is to get YAC (see first post) and see if it works. *Please let us know if you try.

ollis
2004-12-08, 02:42 PM
Nice Plugin - but i never heard from "Caller ID" before.

Does it work in Germany? is there anyone who tried this?

There is a Feature in Germany called: "CLIP"
In my case - CLIP is available after ISDN

CodeMonkey
2004-12-08, 06:42 PM
I don't know if caller id is a US thing only or not. Sorry.
If you have never heard of it, I doubt it is available for you. It is a service that you pay extra for from the phone company (at least here in the US).

Jurgen
2004-12-08, 10:10 PM
Quote[/b] (ollis @ Dec. 08 2004,16:42)]Nice Plugin - but i never heard from "Caller ID" before.

Does it work in Germany? is there anyone who tried this?

There is a Feature in Germany called: "CLIP"
In my case - CLIP is available after ISDN
I'm sure it is available in Germany. I'm using it in Netherland on my POTS (Plain Old Telephone Set). You can inform with your operator. He has to enablel it on your line. It costs me less than 1 euro a month.

CodeMonkey
2004-12-20, 11:44 AM
FYI: I posted the current source and a DLL for this in the developers forum. Make sure you read the post completely.

Enjoy!

jasjol
2004-12-21, 10:28 PM
Do you think the listener would work via GBPVR server PC to show messages on a MediaMVP?

CodeMonkey
2004-12-23, 11:35 AM
Quote[/b] (jasjol @ Dec. 21 2004,13:28)]Do you think the listener would work via GBPVR server PC to show messages on a *MediaMVP?
It depends on how sub implements the plugin helper function that overlays text on the screen. If that function works with the MVP, then so will this plugin.

CodeMonkey
2004-12-23, 11:39 AM
Quote[/b] (tipstir @ Dec. 22 2004,12:53)]CodeMonkey, is the plug-in for GB-PVR server ready yet? This Caller ID works good, I have another program running along side it both come at the sametime. So it works!

http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
The plugin is ready (including language support, translators start your engines! http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ), but there needs to be some changes/fixes in gbpvr before it can be used. *Sub is aware of the issues and I'm sure he will get to them once his (well deserved) break is over. *The plugin will not run properly until at least the next release of gbpvr.

chewy747
2005-11-14, 03:33 PM
any hope for CID being able to be implemented in gbpvr? If I had YAC or some other CID program running, it wouldnt just pop over gbpvr and disappear after the CID is shown? not sure why that wouldnt work

groover km
2005-11-14, 07:11 PM
Spooky - I was playing with YAC just last night, with the thought that it would be ideal for gbpvr, and the mvp in particular. On the YAC website, there is an additional program called YACtextsend which (if I understand correctly) delivers a textstring from the YAC server, that could be called from within a plugin.

Could the plugin then deliver a 5-sec 'popup' to the screen (something similar to pressing the blue button on my remote) with this caller ID info?

I'm probably making it sound simple (due to complete and utter ignorance of programming) - and if so, I apologise - but it would be sweeet....

gjen
2005-11-15, 11:51 AM
Is this Plugin out yet ? I see the post was date 2004 ? Looks like a kool app

jorm
2005-11-15, 02:00 PM
The problem is there is no way to show the caller id info on the OSD (on top of a show).

We can build a plugin that shows a log of recent calls. But that is it till backend support gets implemented.

Jeff
2005-11-15, 02:21 PM
Couldn;t you do it by having the plug-in set itself as one of the video overlay plug-ins (in the confg.xml file) and the plug-in pushes the approriate keypress onto the windows queue when it wants to pop itself up over the video? That would at least allow it to show during videos. In the main menu you could have it post the information as a high priority event to the video archive panel.

Jeff

reven
2005-11-15, 02:24 PM
yeah you can do it now, you just couldnt do it last year.

ive done it with the my messenger plugin (the one i never got around to finishing :))

jorm
2005-11-15, 09:10 PM
that is true. If anyone wants to do it. I would take it on but I dont have any time.

Reven, Congrats on being done with school.

drugstore_cowboy
2005-11-16, 12:03 AM
A guy by the name of Chris Buenger wrote a niffty caller-ID application that he has incorporated for use into MCE which will display a user selected image for the caller as well as use the speech plugin to announce the caller... I was hoping for something like this for GBPVR but this will still work for GBPVR users since it will display over any GBPVR window for 'x' seconds. To use it as a plugin as part of GBPVR, someone would need to parse the Access database :)

http://www.cbuenger.com/tapirex/

Just a thought :)

drugstore_cowboy
2005-11-16, 12:20 AM
Does this block callers also? Because phone tray does a neat job doing that and it will play a message to the caller (you pick out the message you want them to hear) You don't have to be there to pickup the phone either you can set to not accept calls also. It's free!

Oohhhh no this is just a CID program - no answering machine capabilities. I think I am going to head off and look into this app you speak of :)

groover km
2005-11-16, 01:11 AM
Interesting... I looked at phone tray, but to be honest with my current combination of the donotcall list and vonage voip, i never get unwanted calls anyway.

Apart from the inlaws ;)

reven
2005-11-16, 02:50 AM
i would take it on but i dont have caller id, so no way to test it.

jorm
2005-11-16, 02:01 PM
reven,

I dont even have a modem with a phone port anymore. There is probably a testing suite for the caller id app.

nightwalker
2005-11-16, 03:03 PM
I don't use modems anymore either but i am using something called a NetCallerID box. It plugs into a phone jack and then connects to a serial port for getting caller id info into my home automation software.

gjen
2005-11-17, 12:02 AM
Reven

Caller Id from Telecom is only $3 a month.

ggee
2005-11-17, 01:43 AM
So for the original plugin done by CodeMonkey, where is the source? An earlier post said it was posted in the developer forun but I don't see it. Can someone post the latest copy of the source at least?

Thanks,
Greg.

reven
2005-11-17, 04:57 AM
Reven

Caller Id from Telecom is only $3 a month.
yeah i know, its just not available at my house. the PBX (or whatever) box is too old, and telecom said there were no plans to upgrade it.

jorm
2005-11-17, 01:42 PM
:) I have the latest source from code monkey.

Maybe I will play with it. I dont really have the time but it would be nice to have.

jorm
2005-11-17, 01:43 PM
the source

jorm
2005-11-17, 01:46 PM
the code I have has some compiler errors. I am fixing them now.

jorm
2005-11-17, 02:27 PM
Jeff or Reven,

I have compiled the latest caller id plugin and gotten it to work it shows stuff on the screen. I am going to add a picture, so you can add one for the caller.

I am also going to maintain a list of the last x callers.

Do either of you have an example of

"the video overlay plug-ins (in the confg.xml file) and the plug-in pushes the approriate keypress onto the windows queue when it wants to pop itself up over the video?

That would at least allow it to show during videos. " (quote from jeff)

Right now the code is using PluginHelperFactory.getPluginHelper().ShowMessage. I would perfer to generate an image so I can include a picture of the user. Any ideas on that? Can I use a video overlay if no video is playing?

reven
2005-11-17, 02:37 PM
all you have to do is implement the IVideoTask (or IVideo something). theres a method called SetVideoMode(bool) (or set something, god its been a while since ive looked at this) which will be tell the plugin which mode its in, ie if video is playing or if its just the normal menu. and there are a couple of extra methods to hide/show the video plugin.

Jeff
2005-11-17, 03:00 PM
This should probably be over in the developers forum. The SendKeys.Send method http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfsystemwindowsformssendkeysclasssendtopic.asp looks like it should do the trick.

Jeff

chewy747
2005-11-17, 06:18 PM
im glad i brought this up :)

chewy747
2005-11-17, 06:25 PM
what language is this in?

lajams
2005-11-18, 08:34 PM
While we are at it, any way to code this as a service for the server piece?

LA.

jorm
2005-11-18, 08:42 PM
I have made some good progress with subs help with the caller id over video. Early next week I will do a release which has the basic functionality.

It is writen in C#.

lajams,
The logic is we use YAC to read the caller id window all we are doing is providing a listener and showing it to the user. I am not sure what the benefits of coding it as a service. YAC also maintains a call log as a file that the plugin can read and display. (not for the first release)

ggee
2005-11-18, 11:55 PM
Can the YAC server be running on the same system as GBPVR? I appears that when you start the server, it also starts a listener. Can 2 listeners be on the same system?

Thanks,
Greg

jorm
2005-11-19, 01:18 AM
yes

lajams
2005-11-19, 02:29 AM
Yea, I was speaking of the YAC component...it runs on the desktop, interactively. For those of us running "servers" (i.e., no one logged in 99% of the time), this would be an issue. I emailed the author of YAC to see if it was possible to code the YAC piece to a service, rather than a desktop application.

LA.

I have made some good progress with subs help with the caller id over video. Early next week I will do a release which has the basic functionality.

It is writen in C#.

lajams,
The logic is we use YAC to read the caller id window all we are doing is providing a listener and showing it to the user. I am not sure what the benefits of coding it as a service. YAC also maintains a call log as a file that the plugin can read and display. (not for the first release)

jorm
2005-11-19, 11:14 AM
good idea.

drugstore_cowboy
2005-12-24, 06:25 AM
I have created and attached a BlueMCE2 task icon if anyone is interested :)

Download it from here (http://forums.gbpvr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2437&d=1135408613) original post was here http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=4041&page=22

groover km
2006-01-11, 04:16 PM
YAC also maintains a call log as a file that the plugin can read and display. (not for the first release)

Is any more work being done on this plugin? It certainly be nice to have...

I have a bit of wishlist, if I may:

- It works, but it seems to be sporadic. YAC catches the call everytime, but the plugin doesn't always display it on the tv (I use MVPs 99% of the time, if that makes a difference - I wonder if it takes a little longer than 1-2 rings?)

- The YAC call log works but as stated above, it would be nice to call up from the menu (maybe even incorporate it into a panel that showed last call received...?

- When the phone rings could it automagically pause the tv / playback? Or make it a user-configurable option?

- Have a 'cancel' option to remove the popup?

Just my thoughts. Don't want to sound greedy, just think it has a lot of potential...

groover km
2006-01-12, 04:30 PM
I am also trying (in a haphazard kinda way) to skin this more in keeping with my overall skin.

I can't for the life of me change the background from black. Is this a bug, or something I'm doing wrong?

Is any more work planned on this plugin?

groover km
2006-01-12, 04:44 PM
Aaahh..... suddenly it all makes sense. Thanks Tipstir. I had changed the popup, but tinkered with the background for an hour to no avail - should have asked and saved myself the trouble!

Hope this is developed further....

soccerdad
2006-01-12, 08:18 PM
Groover-
I have tried to use this on the MVP but I don't have anything popup when a call comes in. I think I followed the directions but no love. I hope this one keeps being developed. It is high on my wife's list. Did you have to do anything tricky to get it to work? BTW-what part of NC are you in? I am near Greensboro/High Point

jorm
2006-01-12, 09:17 PM
The only tricky part is adding the video thing to the config.xml can you post your config.xml.

I will get around to updating it in the near future. Unless anyone wants to take it over. Hint Hint!

lewis6681
2006-01-13, 02:09 AM
I'm near the Greensboro NC area as well! Small world here in GBPVR land.....

groover km
2006-01-13, 02:38 AM
Groover-
I have tried to use this on the MVP but I don't have anything popup when a call comes in. I think I followed the directions but no love. I hope this one keeps being developed. It is high on my wife's list. Did you have to do anything tricky to get it to work? BTW-what part of NC are you in? I am near Greensboro/High Point

Have you added the video thing to the config.xml file like jorm says? Mine looks like this...

<VideoPlugin0>TV Guide</VideoPlugin0>
<VideoPlugin1>ProcAmp</VideoPlugin1>
<VideoPlugin2>OSD Menu</VideoPlugin2>
<VideoPlugin3>Live Guide</VideoPlugin3>
<VideoPlugin4>Record Until</VideoPlugin4>
<VideoPlugin5>Caller Id</VideoPlugin5>
<VideoPlugin6>

Like I say, it comes up on the MVP but somewhat sporadically - you know how when you sometimes press the blue button and it takes a couple of secs for the OSD to come up? I think that the caller id popup is timing out in this delay (sometimes) if that makes sense. No evidence, just a hunch. If it took a key press to clear, that would fix it.

Which was how I got to the idea of it automatically pausing the tv or whatever until you release it - if it was possible, it would be sweet.

I downloaded the source code from the wiki and opened it in #develop, but was severely hampered by the fact that I ain't got the vaguest clue what I was looking at. Think I may have to enroll in a course....

I hope that someone picks up where Jorm has left off (and much thanks for getting it this far), as I'd really like to see this fully integrated.

I'm in Hickory NC, about 50 miles north of Charlotte. Small world!

jorm
2006-01-13, 11:05 AM
I can make the timeout configurable or you can shut it off. Then we can try it. I dont have a modem hooked up to my computer (out of slots) so i have not tested it with my mvp besides using yac.

> Which was how I got to the idea of it automatically pausing the tv or
> whatever until you release it - if it was possible, it would be sweet.
that might be possible. I will check.

> I downloaded the source code from the wiki and opened it in #develop, but > was severely hampered by the fact that I ain't got the vaguest clue what I > was looking at. Think I may have to enroll in a course....
that is actually quite impressive that you got that far. Do you have any development background?

> I hope that someone picks up where Jorm has left off (and much thanks for > getting it this far), as I'd really like to see this fully integrated.
If not its not a big deal. I have a couple small changes to theater listings and then I will probably do some more work on the caller id plugin. We just need a complete list of things for me to work on.

So far I have
- Fix call history (parse log)
- double check to make sure that message is not getting lost
- pause on call received configurable option
- someone mentioned the background was always black (check)
- option to leave screen open until user clears it.

What did I miss?

groover km
2006-01-13, 02:18 PM
Jorm, thanks for the encouragement! I have no programming / development experience whatsoever (unless BASIC on my 48k Spectrum twenty years ago counts :)) but I am keen to learn; just knowing where to start...

I downloaded the (well-written I may add) plugin tutorial from the wiki, and I have looked at different online tutorials and dead-tree library books, but I ended up with information overload. My local community college offers an online 'C# for Beginners' course for just $69 that I was gonna try but at the last minute I changed my mind and chose a film literacy course instead...

I'm not giving up yet though, as it's something I want to learn. I went through a flurry of accumulating:

#Develop
C# Studio Express
Visual Basic Studio Express

So I think I have all the tools I need to begin coding with - all I need now is the time, a bit of initial hand-holding, and an initial 'need' that I can try and develop something for that isn't too complicated and will be of use.

Anyway, back on topic :) - everything you have suggested there sounds pretty good. Thanks for the help!

jorm
2006-01-13, 02:33 PM
if you have any questions feel free to email or instant message me.
I would be glad to help. It is actually not that difficult and you already have all of the tools you need. Try to start off at a simple hello world and learn the basic constructs ( foreach, while, if else etc... ) Then look at the caller id code and send me questions. Hopefully that will get you started.

gruskada
2006-01-13, 04:16 PM
groover km - I may be wrong, but I believe that C# and Visual Basic Studio express only compile .NET 2.0 compatible code (GB-PVR is currently running on 1.1, but sub has said that he will probably upgrade to 2.0 for the release after next).

gruskada

groover km
2006-01-13, 04:34 PM
gruskada - you are right... I was in 'collector mode' when I got them (ooh! free shiny things!). I have both 1.1 and 2.0 installed, but I have #Develop for 1.1NET.

soccerdad
2006-01-14, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys, I got the plugin to work through the MVP with my desktop that does not have a capture card in it. I just have GBPVR in it for testing. I am using the YAC server and all seems to work well.

My main DVR does not have a modem installed in it. I installed the YAC listener on it and it can get remote messages from the YAC server. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the YAC messages to come up on the DVR computer's GBPVR or the MVP that is fed by it. I added the Caller Id to the config.xml file just like I did on my test machine, but no love. I even tried using the YAC server program on the DVR machine to have it send test messages to GBPVR but it just does not see it. I looked in the logs but don't see anything strange. Is there a specific place in a log to look for clues?

Any ideas will be great. I am looking around to see if I have an old modem card to install in the DVR but I don't think it will help since it can't see the test calls.

UPDATE: I reloaded YAC and the plugin and got it showing up on GBPVR on the DVR box (listener) when I sent a test message from the YAC Server machine. Oddly enough, I had the MVP running while I reinstalled the YAC software and suddenly a test message flashed on the MVP TV screen. Then it went away and I have never seen it again. I then flopped the server/listeners to see if I could send the other way and can see the test messages on the PC screen, but not on GBPVR. In fact now I have lost all GBPVR caller ID screen flashes. I have changed everything back (and even reloaded everything) to how it was when it was working before and I still can't get anything on GBPVR on the PC or the MVP. Something is very touchy..... I think that is one step forward and 2 steps off a cliff!

Snarky
2006-01-18, 10:51 PM
For others who can't get the plugin to pop up over video, check the capitalization in your config.xml file. It's "Caller Id", not "Caller ID" in the <VideoPlugin> tag.

That took me a half an hour to figure out, so I thought I should save the rest of you the time. :)

smajor
2006-03-31, 02:46 PM
I saw in an earlier post that a release might be done and posted here. Is the plugin still under development?

guinness
2006-04-08, 07:16 PM
Can the caller ID plugin be modified to include support for NCID?
http://ncid.sourceforge.net/

A yac Packet looks like this:

@CALLYAC Test Call~(425) 555-1212

The NCID packet looks like this:

CID:* DATE*04082006*TIME*1245*NMBR*4255551212*MESG*NONE* NAME*TEST CALL*

NCID is a TCP server which needs a TCP client instead of a listener.
NCID Default port is: 3333

Also it would make it easier to use if you activated the "Settings" button for the pluggin to allow for Host IP and Port configuration.

mvandere
2006-04-27, 10:10 PM
Can the caller ID plugin be modified to include support for NCID?

Hopefully it will be supported in a few weeks :D