PDA

View Full Version : Via epia M10000

jmain
2004-12-07, 06:33 PM
Just looking for other users experiance with the Via m10000 Boards?
I plan on using one of these boards with a PVR-150 using the Onboard Svideo out on the MB to a Standard Def TV.
200 GB Harddrive, 512 MB RAM.

nkh
2004-12-07, 07:47 PM
I don't think the quality of the s-video out is that good, I'm using an nvida card with s-video out instead and it looks much better (though not as good as the pvr-350's output). One problem with the tv-out on the M10000 is that overscan only has two settings, so you'll either see a black border around the screen or you'll miss some of the picture.

Other than that it's a very cute board, but you'll probably need to tweak things a bit to get GBpvr to run smoothly. Try to get a faster board if you have the option, if you already have the M10000 just try it out, it works fine for me http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

stefan
2004-12-07, 07:55 PM
I have a M1000, too. To say that the built-in tv-out is "not so good" is an understatement. It's hardly usable ;-) I use the pvr-350's tv-out. But then there is the never-ending issue of the via bug, freezing the computer when watching live tv. But just for recording and watching recordings, it works.

If you're allergic to slow responsivness, you need to get a faster computer. The menus are quite sluggish on the M10000. After you press a button on the remote, there is a minimum of half a second before the menu reacts; up to a second is not unusual.

Other than that, it's a good board to a reasonable price =)

jmain
2004-12-07, 09:52 PM
So what about a Shuttle SN41G2V2 Onboard Geforce 4 MX 440 TV out.
With a Athlon XP 3000+ CPU?

I was thinking of something other then the Via board if People had issues with it.

sub
2004-12-07, 10:01 PM
I havn't use the MX 440 TV out, so cant comment on that front, but that CPU would be more than adaquate. For the first 6 months of GB-PVR, all the development was done on an Athlon XP1800+.

jmain
2004-12-07, 10:20 PM
I have been testing out GB-PVR on my Laptop (2.6 Ghz Celeron) and the interface is nice and fast. Can't do any live TV (No Video IN) But I have tested Mpeg1 and DVD which worked perfect.

I also downloaded Programming info for my Satellite just to look at the Programming guide. I also loaded some Plug-ins which all work great.

PVR(SWE)
2004-12-14, 11:14 AM
I also have the EPIA M10000. I only use it for watching recordings and record. It is not the fastest board but enough for me. If I would build a new PVR I would use a better card. By the way I use the 350's tv-out. got 512 mbs ram, 120 Gb hd, dvd writter,passive water cooling + more:)

/Jonas

2004-12-14, 06:18 PM
A friend at work has bought an ASUS Pundit case & mobo combination with a quiet hard drive. He think its fantastic, looks and really quiet but he hasn't brought it in for me to have a look (and a listen) yet. Anyone else have one or seen this?

amoeba
2004-12-16, 12:38 PM
If all the mpeg en/de-coding is done by a hardware card (i.e. PVR 350), then what is left to be done by the cpu?

Display of the GUI, but surely that shouldnt be too strenuous?

I would have thought the MPEG card and the amount of memory are the most important factors - no?

I was hoping to use a Via Epia with a 800mhz processor, and your worrying me.

mikey
2004-12-16, 03:05 PM
The GDI+ library sub used for all the graphics isn't very friendly to slow machines. It does all sorts of anti aliasing and blending that chews throughs the CPU.

PVR(SWE)
2004-12-16, 03:54 PM
GBPVR is so much more then en/de-coding mpeg files. So if I would build me a new "PVR-box" I would use a better motherboard whit more CPU power. /Jonas

amoeba
2004-12-22, 09:35 AM
Its a real shame that GB-PVR doesnt have a low-power cpu mode, as it looks like I will have to use something else then - I really want/plan to use a via M6000 (only 600mhz!) coupled with a PVR 350.

I recall sub saying in another thread he had previously supported a 'low cpu mode', but ripped the code out because it was too messy.

Sub - anychance of changing your mind and putting it back in?

joche
2005-01-01, 11:34 PM
Quote[/b] ]Its a real shame that GB-PVR doesnt have a low-power cpu mode

Well, I wouldn't say it's a shame. (I haven't seen any faster ones so far)

But for sure it would be very nice to have a faster GUI with less wissles and bells, I have around 1-2 seconds between action and display on my VIA M10000 1ghz EZRA. I can however show any movie on it without stuttering, thats even mpeg4 with ac3 encoding.

So a request would be a faster GUI for menu navigation, and perhaps also some visual indication that the system has recieved the IR signal and now processes it. But that might make the GUI even slower, which ofcourse is not very attractive.

So, to Mr Developer, shall we call you Sub? Do you have any comments on how we (or you) can improve the speed when navigating the menus?

sub
2005-01-01, 11:44 PM
To be honest, I dont think the GUI is going to get any quicker. The libraries I've used for doing all the graphics just dont work well on slow machines. It's too late in the project, with too many dependencies on these libraries to think about replacing them.

It works we'll on modern PCs, but the EPIAs are just too slow. The 1ghz EZRA is the equivalent of a P600 with half speed floating unit (which is used alot in graphics). The 1ghz Nehemiah fairs slightly better, being about the equivalent of a P600 with full speed floating point unit. Either way, they're both two slow. A good minimum spec PC for GB-PVR is about a PentiumIII 1.2 ghz class CPU.

In hindsight, it would have been good to pick and alternative technology for doing all the graphics. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

joche
2005-01-02, 12:04 AM
Quote[/b] (sub @ Jan. 01 2005,19:44)]To be honest, I dont think the GUI is going to get any quicker.
A big eloge for you to say that upfront.

It feels ofcourse a bit strange that it aint the movie playing but to get it playing that eats CPU, but if it is as it is it is as it is <- (That sounds better in Swedish :-))

I have built in my EPIA card into an old DVD-case and it's very nice actually, so it's not that easy to just upgrade. But I guess I have to do it sooner or later.

At what point will extra CPU not effect anymore in your opinion? For me it's enough if the menu reacts when I press the button, is that the case for a 1.2Ghz or shall I go above that?

BONUS QUESTION TO THE COMMUNITY: What would you do with a spare M10000 card?

sub
2005-01-02, 12:21 AM
Quote[/b] ]BONUS QUESTION TO THE COMMUNITY: What would you do with a spare M10000 card?
Mines sitting in the closet acting as a web/file server.

SimonP
2005-01-03, 10:34 PM
I have the 1ghz Nehemiah and I must say, my opinion is that it's just too slow to make a decent HTPC box. It's surprisingly good for what it is but it is slow to respond and I can't get MCE running on it properly so I'm a bit disappointed.

However, if you want to go for one, I'd definitely recommend spending the little bit extra and going for the newer 1.2GHz version, apparently it makes a significant difference.

hasso
2005-01-05, 07:21 PM
I think it really depends on what you all mean by slow. You do not get "instant gratification/response" with the M10000 Nehemiah, but I find it quite adequate for running GBPVR video recording/playback. There is only a slight pause between menu changes, and the recording and playback through a PVR350 is without any problems. Given its small form factor, and using a half decent case with an external power supply, it does not look out of place (or overwhelming) beside the living-room tv set... and it's quiet.

Dai
2005-01-09, 12:51 PM
I must say, I agree with hasso, I use a M1000 Nehamiah and PVR 350 and find it perfectly usable. It plays and records prefectly but the menus are a bit slower than I would like. To anyone thinking about using one, I would say don't write it off but consider what is most important for your situation. For me having a small quiet box under the TV is more important than blistering fast menus. I think if I was buying again though I would buy the M1200 now.

ecamacho
2005-01-12, 12:20 AM
Amoeba,

I am using a P3 750 with 256MB Ram, with a 120GB drive, with a PVR-350 output is great using the S-video out. As for processor I do have a lot of fluxuation but I have never been completely pegged since the En/De coding is doen through the card. All though the associated appications an OS (XP-PRO) suck up a lot of memory so I plan on moving up to at least 512MB of RAM. In an half an hour recording I jumped up to using about 246MB of RAM. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jeroen94704
2005-01-13, 07:09 AM
I'm definitely with hasso et al. The GUI may be a bit snappier on a faster machine, but all in all I'm very happy with the way GBPVR works on my M10000 (With PVR-250)

One curious thing I noticed about the built-in TV-out: At first I tried to set a resolution that closely matched the native resolution of a PAL television, but this looked horrible. When I upped the resolution to a decent 1024x786, the quality improved dramatically.

Jeroen