PDA

View Full Version : Webserver working as localhost but ...

hansoffate
2006-12-27, 02:04 PM
Webserver working as localhost but ... I can't access it from another computer. Shouldn't i type the ipaddress of it?

http://192.168.1.102:7647/gbpvr/guide.aspx

That is what i type in and I get a timeout error. What should I do?

Thanks
-Hans

HtV
2006-12-27, 02:15 PM
Could there be a firewall in the way?

UncleJohnsBand
2006-12-27, 04:00 PM
Could there be a firewall in the way?

That would be my guess....check the Windows firewall on the host machine and ensure that port 7647 TCP is open.....and if you are using (or planning on using VLC to Steam recordings or music) that port 7648 (default) is also open on the host machine.

hansoffate
2006-12-27, 07:26 PM
I feel stupid >.<

I had windows firewall on.

To get this so I can access it anywhere, I should use a dyndns service. I have one already. I pinged myself using it and it worked. However, when i try accessing it, it doesn't.

hans.dnsdojo.com

When I ping it, it works. However when i go to http://hans.dnsdojo.com:7647/gbpvr/guide.aspx it doesn't. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help
-Hans

UncleJohnsBand
2006-12-27, 10:18 PM
I feel stupid >.<

I had windows firewall on.

To get this so I can access it anywhere, I should use a dyndns service. I have one already. I pinged myself using it and it worked. However, when i try accessing it, it doesn't.

hans.dnsdojo.com

When I ping it, it works. However when i go to http://hans.dnsdojo.com:7647/gbpvr/guide.aspx it doesn't. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help
-Hans

In your router are you forwarding port 7647 to the GBPVR Host PC....you need to do this so that the incoming request gets to the correct PC.

When you ping with your DYDNS name your router is responding with the ping....so you know you are getting to your router.....you just need to tell your router to take anything coming in on port 7647 (and 7648 if you are going to stream) and send it (port forward) it on to the PC that is hosting GBPVR and EWA.

hansoffate
2006-12-28, 12:45 AM
Never mind, got it working. I manually updated my ipaddress to my service.

:edit: My DynDNS updater on my router broke for some reason. Does anyone know of a dyndns updater that is good?

Thanks for the help
-Hans

UncleJohnsBand
2006-12-28, 04:39 AM
I have been using this one (http://www.palacio-cristal.com/products/DeeEnEs/) for years......simple....works great.....:D

wtg
2006-12-28, 07:02 AM
:edit: My DynDNS updater on my router broke for some reason. Does anyone know of a dyndns updater that is good?

Might want to check the firmware on the router. Perhaps there's an update that fixes the problem. What router do you have?

HtV
2006-12-28, 11:30 AM
Most free dyndns services have to be renewed every 2-3 months. If your ip doesn't change much (mine didn't change in 2 years, though officially it's a dnamic IP) it might not do so. You get an email to notify you of the upcoming ending of the lease. I think my providers email/spamfilter has problems with at least no-ip.org.

I'll look into DeeEnEs. Thanks UJB

UncleJohnsBand
2006-12-28, 03:36 PM
Most free dyndns services have to be renewed every 2-3 months. If your ip doesn't change much (mine didn't change in 2 years, though officially it's a dnamic IP) it might not do so. You get an email to notify you of the upcoming ending of the lease. I think my providers email/spamfilter has problems with at least no-ip.org.

I'll look into DeeEnEs. Thanks UJB

Dydns.org does not....the free account stays active so long as you update your account info (IP) at least once a month......I have been running for about 5 or 6 years without renewal.....

HtV
2006-12-28, 03:43 PM
I might have gotten confused...updating.....renewal :confused:
Do you have to update your info manual or can that be done automatically? Yes I know I'm a lazy ^%@^%#;)

UncleJohnsBand
2006-12-28, 09:00 PM
I might have gotten confused...updating.....renewal :confused:
Do you have to update your info manual or can that be done automatically? Yes I know I'm a lazy ^%@^%#;)

You just register once....then as long as something (i.e. the utility (http://www.palacio-cristal.com/products/DeeEnEs/) I mentioned before) updates dydns with your IP at least once a month you never need to do anything again.

HtV
2006-12-29, 09:32 AM
I found the force-update button in my router.:)
Now I have to find out if I can do this via telnet and thus do it through a script/batchfile.
I'll let you know.
Thanks again.
cya Hans

hansoffate
2006-12-29, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I have been using the program now and its been working great.

Thanks for the help
-Hans

HtV
2006-12-29, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the help
-Hans

Your welcome, one thing I want to share with you: First time I saw your forum-name I thought you were my son trying to fool me or something. His name is Ate, mine is Hans so you can imagine........

hansoffate
2006-12-30, 06:44 PM
Wow, How coincidental? The back story on my name is that my name is Hans, and I want to become a doctor. So, I will be having "Hands of Fate" but its more fun spelling it "Hans of Fate".

:edit out:

Thanks for the help
-Hans