PDA

View Full Version : Attn Kiwis

krypton_john
2004-11-14, 06:39 AM
I was surprised as #### to see this:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=335173

and at 2/3 the price of a PVR-350. It does not show as in stock (says email for availability).

Sub, would you expect this to work with GBPVR?

Cheers,
JohnO

sub
2004-11-14, 06:55 AM
I'm using a PVR500 in my machine at the moment, so yes it'll work.

krypton_john
2004-11-14, 07:21 AM
Other than taking up just one PCI slot, how does it differ in operation - if at all - from having 2 x PVR250-MCE cards?

This card offers the possibility of running a dual tuner PVR in a mini PC case which is intriguing.

pancapangrawit
2004-11-14, 07:59 AM
Have a look at screenshot and discussion in:
http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5675
You'll be able to watch something while recording something else, but you won't be able to record two shows at the same time.
Best
.r.

krypton_john
2004-11-15, 10:01 PM
I don't understand that. If you are watching something and recording another source, then the system *is* recording both sources internally. The one you are watching is going to the live-tv buffer.

As far as I can tell, there's only one set of inputs on the back panel, the other set being on pin-headers on the board. Therefore some adapters are requried for the second video source.

Sub, what's your experience with this?

Cheers,
JohnO

sub
2004-11-15, 10:06 PM
Its basically two PVR150 cards squeezed into one. Both tuners can be recording at the same time. There is only one antenna socket with internal splitter going to both tuners, and one set of svideo/composite/L/R, but both tuners can be recording independently.

krypton_john
2004-11-15, 10:12 PM
I hope you meant two PVR250 cards!

So, with no additional hardware it can record from antenna and video at the same time?

What about recording from two video sources at the same time - i.e. one composite video and one s-video or two s-video? There'd also be two stereo audio inputs required. I assume this is where you need to use the onboard pin-headers?

Cheers,
JohnO

sub
2004-11-15, 11:07 PM
Its two PVR150s, which i believe Hauppauge is positioning as the replacement for the PVR250.

I havn't tried recording from svideo and composite at the same time (might be a shortage of audio connections for this), but you can certainly record from the tuner at the same time you record from the composite/svideo.

krypton_john
2004-11-18, 06:59 AM
Sub, FYI the details on the PVR-500 (and 150/250/350) a/v header are here:

http://www.shspvr.com/pvr2_faq.html

In case you want to add your own front/back panel a/v connector to allow dual s-video or composite video inputs.

Cheers,
JohnO

2004-11-27, 05:40 PM
Hi, to those of you that have a PVR-500 up and runing I have a question.

Looking in a little more in detail at the pvr-500, I'm wondering about IR support (from the card as the 250/350 has) and a remote control, is there anything? How can you control a Digibox or simular if not by a IR blaster or simular?

BR

David

sub
2004-11-27, 06:09 PM
Its only available in MCE form, which means it doesn't come with a remote or IR blaster.

2004-11-27, 06:35 PM
OK thanks,

What do you think then if I have an RF (cable) and a digital (DTB) input to handle, is the best solution to use two 150s instead? If it is, can it be 'easly' set up with gbpvr and also be handled by just one remote?
Have you any other suggestions perhaps for handling two inputs as such?

Bye the way, I've twice tried to register to the forum today (under 'darvidc') with no luck. After each registration I get the error when I try to log in: "The following errors were found: ------- Sorry, we could not find a member called darvidc, are you sure it's correct?". Are you the person to help me with this too?

Thanks a lot, in advance.

David

sub
2004-11-27, 06:44 PM
You can use a PVR500 as two independent capture device, one receiving RF, the other via svideo to the STB, but obviously you'll be without a remote. You can add a MCE remote.

Alternatively you could get two PVR150s. Please note though, GB-PVR doesn't have full support for the new remote yet (with the exception of a couple of buttons it *should* work). I've not yet seen the remote that comes with it - I'm still waiting on my PVR150 to arrive, which should hopefully be this week.

Which option should you choose? I dont know, up to you really.

There is something wrong with the forum registrations, I'll look at it after the next release is out of the way.

2004-11-27, 10:29 PM
Ok, that sounds ok with the 500 then. One final question then, if you don't mind.

If I use a 500 can an IR eye of some type still be used through gbpvr to control the STB via a serial, usb or some other output from the pc, if so what type of IR eye would you recommend?

Thanks sub

David

sub
2004-11-27, 10:44 PM
You can use a USB-UIRT IR blaster to control an external set top box. There is no support for the PVR150 IR blaster yet, as my device hasn't arrived.

BTW, the PVR500 is not available to the public yet, which may or may not be a factor in your decision on 2xPVR150 vs PVR500.

reven
2004-11-28, 04:44 AM
does the 150 or 150mce or both come with the IR blaster? does that mean (i just want it 100% clearly spelt out to me) that it can change channels on an external device? like you book a program on external device when it comes on a signal will be sent from a IR blaster and change the channel? (im aware its not working yet with gbpvr, but in theory when it does will this be the case?)

is the only difference between the 150 and 150mce that the 150 comes with the new remote? also does the 150 work with mce (or is the a alternate drivers to get it to work?)

cheers

sub
2004-11-28, 04:52 AM
Yes, it should be able to control an external cable/satellite set top box when channel changes are required (much like the Actisys IR200L or USB-UIRT).

The MCE version does not have the IR blaster or remote control.