PDA

View Full Version : next release, more guinea pigs required

sub
2006-12-19, 06:28 PM
I've very close to releasing the next version now, probably within next 24 hours, and would like to have a few more fresh testers to try the upgrade from the previous release for me. Not so concerned about functionality, since we've been testing this for the last couple of weeks, but more a double check that the upgrade goes smoothly from a previous version.

If you're keen to get your mits on it, and dont mind helping out, send me a PM. Also let me know which country you're in, and what capture devices you're using.

Cheers
sub.

sub
2006-12-19, 07:04 PM
Thanks everyone. No more guinea pigs required. I applogize for not responding to everyone, but I didnt expect such slew of PMs.

martint123
2006-12-19, 08:44 PM
Bugger, I nodded off again!

sub
2006-12-19, 08:47 PM
lol - dont worry, it wont be too long until its available for download.

nemulate
2006-12-19, 09:45 PM
Good news, looking forward to it :) (Now if only the one thing missing in it has been added!)

HtV
2006-12-19, 10:20 PM
(Now if only the one thing missing in it has been added!)

What would that be? An "everlasting christmastree" plugin, or a ski-waxing util. Or the one I've been waiting for so long now: The lawnmower plugin.:D

soccerdad
2006-12-20, 12:27 AM
No, its the wrap all your Christmas presents for you so you can stay and surf the forum utility:D

groover km
2006-12-20, 01:53 AM
I'd like one that conserved energy by shutting down all the a/v gear completely...

We could call it the power-plug un-plug plug-in.

wtg
2006-12-20, 03:58 AM
MythTV has the conserve energy plug-in built-in... you install it, screw with it, update it, patch it and hack it, finally so frustrated you unplug it. :)

K.S.
2006-12-20, 07:20 AM
i'd like to see a scrying glass plugin, whenever i have to start up my box (that actually means standing up & walking to my box, no more couch potatoing) gbpvr would predict that & start right before i have to :D

HtV
2006-12-20, 09:34 AM
i'd like to see a scrying glass plugin, whenever i have to start up my box (that actually means standing up & walking to my box, no more couch potatoing) gbpvr would predict that & start right before i have to :D

Well I guess, there's hardware for that: a motion-detector (my translation). So you would have to move your hand (or whatever) to start the system but it would close down the system when you fall asleep (or worse:( ).
I'm an electrician, me and my colleague are always making jokes to officeworkers that we should install something like that, so a lot of energy could be saved.:D

K.S.
2006-12-20, 12:22 PM
nay, motion detection 's only the next best solution. imagine all the users out there with pets... and now image the dumb look of a cat/dog when tv is switching on just because they jumped on the couch doing some potatoing :D
and the most difficult to handle would be to write a driver to get that damn OS to wake up upon signal...

JimF
2006-12-20, 12:31 PM
We could call it the power-plug un-plug plug-in.
That is creative.

Ted the Penguin
2006-12-20, 01:58 PM
nay, motion detection 's only the next best solution. imagine all the users out there with pets... and now image the dumb look of a cat/dog when tv is switching on just because they jumped on the couch doing some potatoing :D
and the most difficult to handle would be to write a driver to get that damn OS to wake up upon signal...

actually no its not, since the OS doesnt respond to drivers in standby mode.. it impossible. however it is convenient that you can get something that will short the power pins when the motion detector goes off, thereby starting your computer

dadioflex
2006-12-20, 02:46 PM
nay, motion detection 's only the next best solution. imagine all the users out there with pets...

So you train your cat to turn your PC on. Problem solved.

groover km
2006-12-20, 03:05 PM
... you see that is the creativity that makes gbpvr what it is, and what makes this forum so good.

Nowhere else would someone say "I know! Make it so that my cat can turn it on!"...

... and someone else say, "You know, maybe if..."

I love it. All we need now is someone to ask what kind of cat you are using and the trinity is complete. :)

Ted the Penguin
2006-12-20, 03:46 PM
use an ibo

K.S.
2006-12-20, 04:03 PM
actually no its not, since the OS doesnt respond to drivers in standby mode.. it impossible. however it is convenient that you can get something that will short the power pins when the motion detector goes off, thereby starting your computer

how do nic's & usb devices reactivate a computer? is it all done in hardware? i dunno...

So you train your cat to turn your PC on. Problem solved.

don't have one & it's rather hard to train them, would rather get a dog, they are easier to train :D

Ted the Penguin
2006-12-20, 04:10 PM
how do nic's & usb devices reactivate a computer? is it all done in hardware? i dunno...
yeah its done in hardware, actually in BIOS, which is really all that is running when the computer is in standby, to keep the memory refreshed. it just waits for a signal from whatever your motherboard supports wake from.

don't have one & it's rather hard to train them, would rather get a dog, they are easier to train :D
I already said it AIBO

mage_tiko
2006-12-20, 04:19 PM
Tabby works well.

K.S.
2006-12-20, 04:46 PM
yeah its done in hardware, actually in BIOS, which is really all that is running when the computer is in standby, to keep the memory refreshed. it just waits for a signal from whatever your motherboard supports wake from.

i should really RTFM of the board then :D

I already said it AIBO

nope, gotta break out of that tech circle, you can't cure problems created by technics with another tech-toy :D

sub
2006-12-20, 06:13 PM
A truck driving through a cable cabnet on the side of the road has delay the release a bit. I've had no internet or cable tv signal for nearly the last 24 hours.

I'm currently sitting in an internet cafe getting my quick fix.

nemulate
2006-12-20, 06:36 PM
lol I've heard some excuses in my time! Only joking of course, looking forward to the release when it gets here! ps I lost the net for about a week couple weeks ago, it was horrible so know how you feel ;)

HtV
2006-12-20, 06:39 PM
Sub you really don't need an excuse to go to the pub.:D

HtV
2006-12-20, 06:45 PM
Tabby works well.

I guess the big one uses the little one as his remote.:)

sub
2006-12-20, 07:01 PM
Grrrr, :mad: no ETA on cable fix: http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz

I'm off home now, but hopefully will be back online later.

User
2006-12-20, 07:17 PM
Looks like that truck made the most damage it could at a critical point in the network. Hope they get you back up and running soon, I know how aggravating it can be.

pz1
2006-12-20, 07:30 PM
With these kind of excuses I can only conclude Sub must be a teenage school boy, which makes his work even more impressive :)
I remain puzzled about messages about his offspring however :(

martint123
2006-12-20, 08:02 PM
This is more like an Alfred Hitchcock suspense thriller :D

sub
2006-12-20, 08:29 PM
I'm trying dialup now. Man its slow...

wtg
2006-12-20, 09:01 PM
With these kind of excuses I can only conclude Sub must be a teenage school boy, which makes his work even more impressive :)
I remain puzzled about messages about his offspring however :(
ROFLMAO

User
2006-12-20, 10:16 PM
I'm trying dialup now. Man its slow...

It just gives you that warm and fuzzy sense of nostalgia!
I dial up in the rare case the DSL goes out, but at least it's a backup plan.
:D

sub
2006-12-20, 10:56 PM
Still no internet. Release is effectively on-hold at this stage.

-Oz-
2006-12-20, 11:56 PM
stupid truck driver. dial-up is sooo sad.

soccerdad
2006-12-21, 12:17 AM
Grrrr, :mad: no ETA on cable fix: http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz

I'm off home now, but hopefully will be back online later.

Be glad you live where you do. It would take days for a fiber fix here and you would never find anyone who could give you any information, let alone having an up to date web site that gives you honest information.

We will wait patiently..... is it ready yet.......is it ready yet?...... is it ready yet?

Maybe we all could start an email campaign to get more workers on the job.

is it ready yet?............

tunanugget
2006-12-21, 12:47 AM
dialup can work too. hmm...for 10 mb file...prob will take 1 hr.

sub
2006-12-21, 12:51 AM
dialup can work too. hmm...for 10 mb file...prob will take 1 hr.The problem is, we hadnt finished testing, which typically involves new pre-release versions, patches, logs, looking at databases etc... all too network hungry to be done in a timely fashion over dialup. Nearly finished, but not quite...a couple of issues we're still working through.

tunanugget
2006-12-21, 01:00 AM
The problem is, we hadnt finished testing, which typically involves new pre-release versions, patches, logs, looking at databases etc... all too network hungry to be done in a timely fashion over dialup.

oic... well, good luck w/ the cable. i think i'm one of few out there on my whopping 56k dialup modem...hehe. remember the early 90s when there was all this fuss about us robotics vs kflex for 56k and all the busy signals. nowadays, i never get a busy signal. my max download on dialup was around 250 mb....took around a day.

agidius
2006-12-21, 03:31 AM
currently says "no known problems"

sub
2006-12-21, 03:42 AM
currently says "no known problems"I'm not sure where you were looking. I just checked and it says "Major disruptions are currently occurring", and the internet is still not working.

The cable TV was fixed this morning.

tunanugget
2006-12-21, 03:56 AM
I'm not sure where you were looking. I just checked and it says "Major disruptions are currently occurring", and the internet is still not working.

The cable TV was fixed this morning.

clear.net No known problems
Calling Cards No known problems
paradise.net Major disruptions are currently occurring
TV / Phone / Cable Modems No known problems
Toll Calls No known problems

sub
2006-12-21, 04:00 AM
When I do a refresh on that page I get:

clear.net No known problems
Calling Cards No known problems
paradise.net Major disruptions are currently occurring
TV / Phone / Cable Modems Major disruptions are currently occurring
Toll Calls No known problems

I'm a Cable Modem user, that uses paradise.net, so not sure which of those two categories I offically fall under, but either way - it aint working currently.

pz1
2006-12-21, 05:00 AM
The status page on paradise.net now says:

This is outage is effecting Karori and other Northern suburbs.ETR 8am 22 Dec 06

The good news is that the 22nd of December hits you sooner than us...

moymike
2006-12-21, 11:49 AM
I think it's safe to assume that the web guys at http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/ are scratching their heads as to the number of hits on their status page...

Would be nice if each hit = ++priority

groover km
2006-12-21, 12:02 PM
WARNING: UNPOPULAR COMMENT FOR WHICH I WILL PROBABLY GET FLAMED FOLLOWS:

Sub, just a thought; as your internet is out and it's now the 21st (where I am sitting anyway)... why don't you hold off on releasing the upgrade until after christmas?

You devote more than enough time to everyone here throughout the year, so have some downtime with the wife and kids before the floodgates of help requests open? You certainly earn it.

Just my thoughts.

martint123
2006-12-21, 12:05 PM
I was thinking the same - that it was a bit of a dangerous time to release an update. I think I would have just incorporated the patches into the public download file and cleared off for a week or two of well deserved R&R.

kayak4ever
2006-12-21, 12:10 PM
I agree. For what it is worth, I wasn't planning on ignoring my family and Christmas to upload the next version anyway. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to trying it out, but I will have more time after Christmas to spend on it. Enjoy your Christmas, Sub!

stefan
2006-12-21, 12:23 PM
I agree. [snip] Enjoy your Christmas, Sub!
Me too :D

scott
2006-12-21, 01:14 PM
Sub - I'm running one version/release behind. So when I upgrade the the soon to be release version, I will be skipping a version.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about this, but I noticed that you were pretty specific about having people test from the current version...

Should I be concerned?

Ted the Penguin
2006-12-21, 02:46 PM
I concur, sub deserves to relax over Christmas and should not have us breathing down his neck for a release. Merry Christmas

although I think he is going through forum withdrawal...

sub
2006-12-21, 02:52 PM
Sub - I'm running one version/release behind. So when I upgrade the the soon to be release version, I will be skipping a version.

Normally, I wouldn't worry about this, but I noticed that you were pretty specific about having people test from the current version...

Should I be concerned?When it comes to upgrades, I only ever focus on upgrades from the last release. The upgrade will probably work from older versions, but I never test this.

sub
2006-12-21, 02:53 PM
Sub, just a thought; as your internet is out and it's now the 21st (where I am sitting anyway)... why don't you hold off on releasing the upgrade until after christmas?

You devote more than enough time to everyone here throughout the year, so have some downtime with the wife and kids before the floodgates of help requests open? You certainly earn it.
I was keen to get the release out now because I'm about to go away on holiday (with the wife and kids) in about three weeks. Getting the release out now would have given me plenty of time to work through any serious issues that pop up between now and going on holiday.

I'm not letting internet outage bother me too much, but it is bad timing and bit of pain in the bum.

SuMo
2006-12-21, 02:54 PM
Have a nice x-mas sub ! Just wait with the new release till you're back from holiday, All of us forum junkies are forced to spend some time with our families instead of......... well.... you know.........

sub
2006-12-21, 03:40 PM
The internet is still down this morning.

If anyone has sent me email in recent days, its probably being bounced by now since me email server is also non-contactable. Its sitting a cupboard here, with no internet access.

madcat
2006-12-21, 03:58 PM
Sub,

Have a merry xmas, enjoy the family, and ignore us for a while. It's OK. I'll manage... somehow :)

ZaHayNa
2006-12-21, 04:29 PM
Hey sub, is your internet down as in the place you host to? If so, I would host it for you. I pay for a few domains I run, and would be able to afford the bandwidth for now...

ZaHayNa
2006-12-21, 04:31 PM
A truck driving through a cable cabnet on the side of the road has delay the release a bit. I've had no internet or cable tv signal for nearly the last 24 hours.

I'm currently sitting in an internet cafe getting my quick fix.Ah, just read this post. Still, if you want to upload it from the cafe to my site, I'd be glad to host it for you.

sub
2006-12-21, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the offer, but my web servers are fine.

Its just my home connection that is down. Which makes it hard distribute patches etc to my testers. Also, for those that have done any software development in the past, you probably havnt realised how much you rely on the internet (ie, online help aka google, MSDN etc) - when the internet is not accessible from your development PC...it sux.

I've got dialup access from a laptop.

ZaHayNa
2006-12-21, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the offer, but my web servers are fine.

Its just my home connection that is down. Which makes it hard distribute patches etc to my testers. Also, for those that have done any software development in the past, you probably havnt realised how much you rely on the internet (ie, online help aka google, MSDN etc) - when the internet is not accessible from your development PC...it sux.

I've got dialup access from a laptop.Ah, I see. Oh well. In due time. :)

sub
2006-12-21, 05:27 PM
yay! The internet returns...

Brian_W
2006-12-21, 05:36 PM

Don't get too excited about it! You will be cursed with intermittent problems if you do. Adelphia and Time-Warner cable here are notorious when there is a major outage like that once they reconnect it, there are problems for a good day after :(

Brian

nia
2006-12-21, 05:44 PM

Great!! :-)

As Sub apparently refuse to relax, may I suggest a round of Christmas donations in stead :D

Merry Xmas Sub and all you other GBPVR addicts!

idkpmiller
2006-12-28, 10:59 AM

I'm currently sitting in an internet cafe getting my quick fix.

Hey I had that outage too :-( so you in Karori area?

sub
2006-12-28, 02:06 PM
Kelburn

boxapizza
2006-12-28, 10:52 PM
Hey Sub, i dont really post anything but i read a bunch on here and i do use your software. i have just hit the donate button. You do great work and the people on here also do great work. thanks for great software.

Wil

sub
2006-12-28, 11:04 PM
Cheers.