PDA

View Full Version : Mini ITX PC's

lagrian
2004-04-20, 12:06 PM
Hi,

I have a Mini ITX PC a EPIA CL6000, the menu performance is really bad so I'm looking to upgrade it.

I want to stick with the Mini-ITX format and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experience with the EPIA MII 10000 (C3) and performance with menus, also the performance when used with a MediaMVP.

Also probably not the best place to ask, as they come with a fan for the processor does this increase the noise signifcantly ?

Any help at all would be most benificial.

Thanks in advance

Lagrian

Dai
2004-04-20, 01:19 PM
I use a EPIA ME6000 and I find that the menus are a bit slow but quite useable. I use the TV out on the PVR 350.

Dai

lagrian
2004-04-20, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the input Dai,

Hmm the delay for me is about 3-4 seconds per click, this is when using the MediaMVP (as my mini itx board doesn't have TV Out.)

When I ran the GBPVR on a AMD XP 1600+ using the MediaMVP it was fine. I used all the same hardware virtually, same amount of RAM, same HD for the EPIA CL6000 but the menus were slow.

So I can only deduce that it is the processor that is the bottle neck. I suppose using TV out would speed things up a little but not enough for me to be happy if you are saying they are a bit slow.

So after that I suppose the question is how quick are the menu's when using a EPIA ME10000 with the MediaMVP ?

Has anyone had experience with this that they could share with me please ?

Thanks

Lagrian

sub
2004-04-20, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately there is not too much I can do about it. When I started this project I decided to you c# and and GDI+. Unfortunately I've found GDI+ to be a little slow for drawing graphics, but quite acceptable on most current machines. By itself GB-PVR should be quite useable on M10000 (Nehemiah).

You problem is compounded by then taking the generated graphics and converting them from RGB to YUV then compressing each frame as required by the MVP. The Nehemiah based M10000 has a full speed floating point unit which would be much better than the ME6000 which runs at half (and is also much slower).

At the end of the day, the faster the machine you can get the better.

lagrian
2004-04-20, 08:22 PM
Cheers sub that helps, for me its the balance between a silent PC and one that has a enough juice to run GBPVR.

Thanks again

Lagrian

Kevlar_IIA
2004-04-23, 05:08 PM
I use the M10000 (Nehemiah). And it runs great + it is wery silent (3 lowsound fans that goes at 70% or less). I have a Fan mate to a 18db fan for the CPU + my modified zalman heat sink, a Colbalt Pyramid V+ for the case fans (2 case fans). And best of all a fan less 100Watts PSU (I use maximum 80 watts), if you want to know more lokk att the list yor system topic. /Jonas

P.S.
I only use the 350 tv-out, never the onboard tv-out becuse of scaling and speed.
D.S.

lagrian
2004-04-26, 05:18 PM
Thank Jonas,

Sound like the M10000 will do the job and still also be able to keep the dam things quiet. Nice job on yours by the way.

Also noticed they now have a EPIA M12000 but a bit pricey.

Could you tell me how do you find out how much power you are consuming ?

Thanks once again

Lagrian

sub
2004-04-26, 06:04 PM
I dont know about there lagarian, but here the price difference between the M10000 and M12000 is only a few dollars. I'd definitely go the M12000 if you get the chance.

Kevlar_IIA
2004-04-26, 07:18 PM
There is a power calculator at a web-side that is usefull http://www.mini-box.com/

Other wise you can be safe and use this

http://linitx.com/product....5642c04 (http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_54&products_id=427&osCsid=64ff84e901a0036c97dd285795642c04) (not sure if it is optimise for mini-ITX)
That is a PSU for 150Watts.

I am still waiting for my 100watts PSU, before that one I hade a 200watts (that broke), but I am certian that a 100 watts is enought for my system (acourding to my calculations I will use maximum 85watts at full load whit all hardware running at MAX):D

lagrian
2004-04-27, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys,

Sub: After your comment I have found a better place to buy them now thanks.

Jonas: Thanks I'll read up on it when I get home tonight. The reason I ask is that I have a wireless USB dongle/NIC and under heavy use it cuts out , so to me no weather plugin or Net Radio. My suspicion is that it doesn't have enough power to run but I am not sure if these devices take up allot of power or not.

Thanks once again for your help.

Lagrian

2004-04-27, 12:48 PM
Lagrian: Hardware for wierless network is know to take allot of power. But if you use the power consument calculator and add an extra 15-20 watts under full load, then you will be safe. What kind of sytem to you have now and most importly what kind of PSU do use. Cherrs /Jonas

lagrian
2004-04-27, 06:39 PM
Thanks Jonas,

I have a EPIA CL 6000 (Eden) with a PVR 250 in the PCI slot,a 7200 rpm 3.5" drive and the USB wireless device. 2 onboard nics are in use apart from that nothing else plugged in or in use.

I used the power calculator and I think I am still within my limits but the power calculator wouldn't let me account for everything. I have a fanless 60w power supply.

Thanks yet again

Lagrian

sub
2004-04-27, 07:18 PM
Is it the morex DC supply? I know a lot of people have had problems with that in the past.

lagrian
2004-04-28, 10:13 AM
Yep its a Morex , just checked.

Oh no hit me with it what problems do they have ?

To be honest I have thought I may have problems with my power supply as every now and again my pc reboots for no reason but nothing in the event logs suggest why.

Thanks for that little gem of info.

Lagrian

Kevlar_IIA
2004-04-28, 12:18 PM
Lagrian: It sounds to me that you don't have enought power (whit the reboots and all). Try to go higher in both power and motherboard. If I was you I would also look for a harddrive that dont take that much off power + do you need two nics?

Sub:What is the problem whit Morex? Are they problems whit the PW 70/A? I haven't got my yet becus Swedish postal services is relly slow becus of wekands etc.

Cheers /Jonas http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sub
2004-04-28, 06:07 PM
I've not had one myself, but I know there was a lot of discussion about morex dc supplies on forums.viaarena.com. People would often find problems with their systems, including network adapter not work. I think the morex is rated at 55W, but not very effecient so in effect supplying a lot less. Often not enough for the system.

lagrian
2004-04-29, 04:32 PM
Do you think , thats what my suspicions were.

Well I'm going to bite the bullet and get a ME 12000 (Nehemiah) and a fanless 110w Lex just to be on the safe side.

I don't really need 2 NICs enabled just the one for the MVP however I need the other one to troubleshoot my wireless connection as if that goes down I cannot get access to the pc (no input device or screen attached as its hidden away). So it was for convenience really.

Thanks for your help through all this , Jonas and Sub.

Ill let you know how the ME12000 performs with GBPVR too.

Lagrian

Kevlar_IIA
2004-04-29, 07:31 PM
I got my my PW70/A 120Watts fanless PSU today http://www.mini-box.com/pw-70a.htm
And it woks great I have never heard a silince machine as this one.:)
In a couple of weeks I will also get some more stuff to get the best pvr app in the world to work better(of course it is GBPVR that I mean). I will keep you posted (planing on have a web-page for my project).
Cheers /Jonas

sub
2004-04-29, 07:35 PM
I'm interested to hear how you both get on. Keep us up to date.

lagrian
2004-05-11, 05:03 PM
I finally got my new mini itx pc up and running, the MII 12000 (Nehemiah) , just to let you know really happy with performance with GBPVR, menus are quick and responsive and no crashes (which I did have on my EPIA CL6000 Eden).

I recommend this machine for use with GBPVR.

Kevlar_IIA
2004-05-19, 09:38 PM
Good for you that it works good, I have trubbels whit my hardware at the moment whit an LCD-display + overheating problems but that will be fixt in a flash:)

JetJackson
2004-05-23, 10:11 PM
So are you using a MII 12000 and a MediaMVP? Does it play mpg2 and divx ok?

lagrian
2004-05-25, 12:40 PM
Jet , I am using it. It plays mpg2's fine for me however I do believe the MVP doesn't support divx yet (it may not at all in the future either). But to tell you the truth my Eden 6000 played mpg2's fine with the MVP probably because the MVP is doing all the work (but not really sure). It was just menu speeds I had a big issue with which the 12000 handles nicely

Lagrian

PVR(SWE)
2004-08-01, 02:56 PM
I got my mini-ITX whit GBPVR on watercooling now, and it works great. I only got 1 fan (80mm) that goes at 15%,
if the case temp goes over 40C+ it goes up to 60%,
if the case temp goes over 45C+ it goes up to 100%,
and if goes up to over 50C+ it turns off. The CPU temp is around 60C+.
Whit the old fan it did go up to 74C+.

I got the mini-ITX hooked up to a 5.1 soundsystem, I can controll all my devices through one IR-remote (TV, GBPVR, Scart switch, DVD + my girlfriends stereo)

I got to say that I am satisfyde, and my gilfriend is also satisfyde. You could be whit in 3-4 meters of whit out even hear it. That means that it is always on:)

The only thing that could be anoying is that menus could sometimes be a bit slow but rather that then being loud.

I am gone post one or two pictures of it when I have time.

/Jonas

P.S.
Whit out GBPVR this wouldent be as good as it's is now.
D.S.

2004-08-01, 10:55 PM
Sub, any chance of some crystal ball gazing.....

Is divx out of the PVR350/MVP going to be possible, and if so, what resources will be required. I.e. will it require more than the M12000 or similar?

This would affect my decision to buy one of these SFF machines.

sub
2004-08-02, 01:03 AM
I have had experimental DivX playback on PVR350, but havn't yet looked at this on the MVP. I'm not sure if either of these will be included anytime soon.

Quote[/b] ]will it require more than the M12000
Yes, this would be nowhere near fast enough to transcode in real time - sorry.

To be honest, you should try to stick with the native formats of these devices. Transcoding is really yucky.