PDA

View Full Version : Avermedia M179

wjreece
2004-09-13, 04:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just downloaded GBPVR, and I am truly excited about getting this up and running. The time has come for me to invest in the tuner cards. It seems as though the Hauppauge PVR-250 is the more popular model, however the Avermedia M179 is about half the price. Since I am running on somewhat of a budget, this model is really attractive to me, however, I need to get some input from the experts!! Thanks for everyone's input and time!

Will R.

sub
2004-09-13, 04:28 AM
The Avermedia M179 is a "fringe" card, that doesn't enjoy the mainstream support you get from PVR-250. I doesnt personally have access to one of these devices, so if you encounter problems using it with GB-PVR, there might not be too much I can do to help.

Jason
2004-09-14, 11:19 PM
Quote[/b] (wjreece @ Sep. 12 2004,23:21)]Hi Everyone,

Just downloaded GBPVR, and I am truly excited about getting this up and running. *The time has come for me to invest in the tuner cards. *It seems as though the Hauppauge PVR-250 is the more popular model, however the Avermedia M179 is about half the price. *Since I am running on somewhat of a budget, this model is really attractive to me, however, I need to get some input from the experts!! *Thanks for everyone's input and time!

Will R.
I just picked an M179 up from Fry's for $30. I couldn't pass it up. As far as the quality goes, it's ok... that is to say that the Hauppauge 250/350 is better. The drivers are a bit old (8/2003) but it will do as a 'secondary' or 'backup' card.

In addition, Avermedia is not supporting these any more.

I've been happy with it so far, at least as far as $30 goes...

-Jason