PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Detection

colin
2004-05-25, 06:23 PM
Starting a developers thread based upon:

Commerical Dectection - wishlist thread (http://gbpvr.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=82)

Cheers,
Colin.
Edit ---> 0.64 (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70894&postcount=620) <----

Edit ---> last version (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69696&postcount=572) For Jere_Jone's reasons, go to page 17 <---

Thanks Jere for all your work - it was and is appreciated

Edit ---> 0.61 (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67533&postcount=503) <--
See page 16 for more info, or follow the link.

Edit - pointer to latest comskip --> 0.60 (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63464&postcount=424) <--

CodeMonkey
2004-05-25, 07:07 PM
We can either always store I frames in the cut file (somehow?), or worst case you skip to the next I frame from our cut point. A couple frames won't make any difference I wouldn't think.

colin
2004-05-25, 07:25 PM
Assuming we can detect the frame accurate commercial start/end points, then maybe we should also provide the nearest I-frame start/end point as well.

So if you want the remix plugin to use the cut points, it can use frame accurate points, or nearest the mark points.

Colin.

windsorguy13
2004-05-26, 02:33 AM
This is a stupid aside, but figured I'd mention this as well. With the Myth project there was concern over the legality of the commercial detection scheme and skipping comercials. As this functionality was built into Tivo, the Tivo company was pursuing legal action against a different PVR software group for providing commercial detection/skipping. It never spilled over to Myth (yet), but I figured I might post this info ...
BTW, can't wait for commercial detection in GB-PVR *http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif *!!!!!

Thanks,
Brian

CodeMonkey
2004-05-26, 02:47 AM
Tivo wasn't the first to do that. I remember a gadget several years ago that worked with a VCR and stored the cut points right on the tape so it could fast forward the vcr past those points. Certainly even in this lawsuit happy age that simple idea can't be patented. At least lets hope there is some sanity left in the legal system.

Jesse
2004-06-30, 11:03 PM
Guys, food for thought:

I think it would be quite preferable to be able to filter commercials during the recording phase. It would have the potential to shrink the size of recorded programs by 25-33%, which in the long run would be huge. I believe this should be a checkbox for each individual recording.

Also, I'm pretty excited about this project, and would like to get involved if I could. I'm a pretty technical guy with some programming background.. Is there anything I can help out with? Besides the wishlist I've posted, and some major instability with my MVP, commercial skipping is my most wanted feature.

Do you guys have a start on this plugin, or should I start from scratch?

colin
2004-07-01, 12:25 AM
Hey Jesse,

it really hasn't got too far off the ground yet. as you say ideally this would be best done at recording time which would mean Sub would have to do it.

The advantage is smaller mpeg's, the disadvantage is if the commercial detection gets it wrong.

the alternative is a plugin which could at least run against the mpeg and give a set of cut points.

The advantage is if the cut points are wrong, then you do not loose anything in the mpeg, but the disadvantage is its a post recording operation.

I have the src for Cutterman (its open source) if anyone wants to have a look at it. Its written in C# and may assist in analysing an mpeg stream. Cutterman needs the stream to be demuxed as it can only handle video. Ideally we would want to read a muxed mpeg to save time.

Of course, all suggestions are welcome:)

Colin.

sub
2004-07-01, 02:22 AM
I must admit, I prefer the post processing option.

None the products that do commercial detection seem to get it right all the time. Its more like 90%. To have it automatically apply this at recording time implies you are going to loose video video that you ultimately want to see.

Doing it at record time also means you need to decode the stream in realtime as you record so that you can search for the usual signs of a commerical (black frames etc). In effect, you'd loose the low CPU advantage you get from using hardware MPEG-2 encoder cards.

colin
2004-07-01, 03:22 AM
Plus I think doing this as a plugin would be a good fun:)

jorm
2004-08-27, 08:21 PM
have you guys started any development of this plugin?

sub
2004-08-27, 08:44 PM
I talked to a couple of the users from the Sage forums who were developing a plugin of this type for SageTV. They'd produced an .exe file that would try and identify the commercials. This was based on the open source libmpeg2 and the commercial detection from Mythtv.

They said they were happy for me to use this standalone application with GB-PVR, but unfortunately on my tests it did a really crap job at finding the commercials so I didn't pursue it any further.

colin
2004-08-27, 09:03 PM
No one has really done anything yet. I haven't had the time to look into mpeg processing in detail to do anything that would get anywhere.

Something we could implement would be a file.mpg.com which Codemonkey begain defining, which would like the commercial frames (ie. start frame, no of frames) which if detected Sub could use these as skip markers when watching an mpg.

If we could do this, then we can simply manually create these files until someone is able to implement a plugin to do this automatically.

Colin.

CodeMonkey
2004-08-28, 12:17 AM
Quote[/b] (sub @ Aug. 27 2004,10:44)]I talked to a couple of the users from the Sage forums who were developing a plugin of this type for SageTV. They'd produced an .exe file that would try and identify the commercials. This was based on the open source libmpeg2 and the commercial detection from Mythtv.

They said they were happy for me to use this standalone application with GB-PVR, but unfortunately on my tests it did a really crap job at finding the commercials so I didn't pursue it any further.
Can you get the source for it? Maybe we can tweak it.

sub
2004-08-28, 12:59 AM
http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/browser/

jorm
2004-09-08, 03:16 AM
I have taken a quick look at it. It does seem to work for some shows (I was playing with the west wing). I havent had time to play around with it to see how often it fails. If it fails for certain shows that have fade to black in the show maybe the solution is to build a list of exception shows.

I am now looking for a program that I can feed the output into that will produce a new mpeg that has the sections obmitted. Or if someone can send me a link to a library that would allow me to write a quick application that will split the mpeg into sections.

If you havent played with the app, It spits out a starting and ending frame number for each commercial. I want to find a library that will allow me to split the mpeg appart by using the frame numbers.

Even if it is does not work for all shows if it works for some shows reliabily that would be cool.

colin
2004-09-08, 03:49 AM
Over at kvcd.net there is a program call Dikumciser which can split mpeg files by size. I'll see if Kwag can modify it to split out parts of a mpeg based in frames,

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-08, 10:51 AM
That would be great. I will continue to test the tool with different shows to figure out how reliable it is. There is an ini that we can use to tweak its configuration.

colin
2004-09-08, 12:07 PM
Hey Jorm,

is there a .exe at this location or is it just src files?

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-08, 01:45 PM
There is an exe.

Browse the source for
/comskip/branches/jeredev/

You need the exe and the ini. I am going to test it on nip/tuck and scrubs to see how well it works.

If you can not find it send me your email and I will forward it to you.

CodeMonkey
2004-09-08, 03:09 PM
Thanks for picking up the ball guys. Work is kicking my butt lately. I have an image processing background and will try and contribute whenever possible.

If someone went through and grabbed the source files and got it to build, please post a zip of that build environment to save others the trouble.

Trying with different shows, including different types of shows (sitcom, sports, etc.), and different networks would seem to make sense for testing. Sub, you mentioned you saw it not do a good job. What kinds of shows were you trying it on?

colin
2004-09-08, 03:30 PM
Hey Jorm,

what country are you testing programs from? I'll be looking at US based programs and I think Codemonkey will be the same.

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-08, 03:50 PM
I am located in the United States as well. *However if I keep getting hit by hurricanes maybe I will look for someplace safer! http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I will send the executable to colin and codemonkey. *I do not have a web site to post files too.

So this is what I have tested so far.
The West Wing from 11am on Tuesday.
There were 4 commercial breaks it detected each of them. *In one of the breaks it missed the first commercial but correctly caught the other 3.

Scrubs 9:30 Tue
Caught all of the commercials (3 commercial breaks). *If the recording starts on a commercial it is not going to catch it. *On this I noticed that when the show ends and you have a commercial then the credits it cuts out the credits. *Which it is not part of the shows content anyway.

Football game Tues 10pm, Ment to tape Nip/Tuck
There were 9 commercial breaks, it caught 8 of them.

So far it does not look to bad for american content.

jorm
2004-09-08, 03:52 PM
When you run comskip the text file it generates you want the last section everything below the last row of -----.

So far I got one drama, 1 sitcom, and 1 football not bad.

colin
2004-09-08, 10:17 PM
Just tried "Thats 70s Show" and comskip was pretty accurate. It picked up the 2 main comercial breaks, but missed the credits section - no biggie really. I'm now trynig various settings to see what happens. This was from Fox

Next i'll try something from the WB,

Sub, would it worth considering putting in support for files created by comskip? Eg. if the .txt file is detected then the skip buttons make reference to the frame numbers?

Colin.

sub
2004-09-08, 10:24 PM
If the consensus is 'it seems to work', then I'll add some support for loading in this file of skip points. It sounding positive.

I might have picked a bad couple of shows when I tried it.

colin
2004-09-08, 10:35 PM
Well it certainly gives us some scope to play with and gives us a kick start into trying a few things,

Colin.

colin
2004-09-08, 11:30 PM
Ok, just tried this with a show of WB22 - Everybody Loves Raymond and it correctly picked up the 3 commercial breaks. Would be interesting to try a show from a another country.

If anyone has a 30 minute show from outside the US and is interested in giving me access to it PM me (you may want to have a fast connection:)

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-08, 11:38 PM
so far I am fairly impressed with it. Colin I also saw that it removed the credits as well. I am not sure if that is by design, but it is fine with me.

Support for the config files would be great.

I still have been looking around for a freeware command line program that will allow me to separate mpeg2 video either by frame position or time.

That way if you want to burn the videos to dvd it will clip out 95% of the commercials for you. I will test it with more shows and post it here as I tape them.

CodeMonkey
2004-09-08, 11:43 PM
I am in the states as well.

So you guys didn't buld it, just grabbed the executable?

I grabbed the source a short while ago, but didnt get around to building it. I'm already on hour 12 of my work day and counting, so I doubt I will get to it tonight. But I will try and get it to build soon and post a link to the source for you guys to grab.

colin
2004-09-09, 12:06 AM
yeah just grabbed the exe. I need to see if i have a free compiler on my machine to build with - or maybe someone can point me to one?

Cheers,
Colin.

jorm
2004-09-09, 12:10 AM
I just grabbed the exe as well.

colin
2004-09-09, 01:13 AM
I just tried "Raiders of the Lost Ark" which i taped off the TV (cannot remember which station) and it hit 7 of the 8 commercials. I set the following lines to

test_brightness=20
max_avg_brightness=15

With the default settings it hit one commercial, so it looks like a bit of playing with the parameters is a requirement,

Colin.

Edit:
test_brightness=20
max_avg_brightness=10

hit them all

CodeMonkey
2004-09-09, 02:43 AM
Brightness huh. *Unfortunately that is going to vary show to show. *

If there is some kind of level adjustment that defines a cutoff for black frames, that might be a more generic adjustment.

Edit: I just saw the .ini file, what they call brightness is basically the cutoff. So it does look promissing.

colin
2004-09-09, 04:36 AM
Quote[/b] ]Edit: I just saw the .ini file, what they call brightness is basically the cutoff. So it does look promissing.

I was wondering about the terminology - didn't make sense that lowering the values was producing better results.

Guess we can try it on various programmes and see what happens. Hats off to the guys who wrote this, at least it has given us a starting point.

Codemonkey, I may pick your brains over the coming weeks on the src code and what parts are doing.

Cheers,
Colin.

Bigted
2004-09-09, 11:26 AM
Last episode of the Apprentice
PAL in New Zealand

After much mucking around...

Changed:

fps=25 (for PAL)
test_brightness=60
max_avg_brightness=10
max_commercial_size=305 (the default caused some commericial breaks to be ignored)

The settings above caught everything perfectly.

Bigted

colin
2004-09-09, 12:39 PM
Cool, this does sound promising,

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-09, 02:22 PM
That does sound promising. I am going to start developing two tools.

the first will recursively run through a directory and if the text file is not there it will run comskip on the file. (So we can batch the jobs to run in the early morning). I am going to put the frame rate in another file a config file and swap it in the ini.

I am also going to create a xml that has the filename prefix and the ini file to use. (That way you can customize it per show, since the framerate is extracted we can share these customized configs.

The second tool would take a list of mpegs and run multiple scripts using different comskip.ini and build a table of the results. Perhaps we will pass in a commercial skip points (that were measured manually) and a margin of error and it will tell us what script was the best match.

thoughts?

colin
2004-09-09, 02:42 PM
It would be useful to do a batch run with various .ini settings against a mpeg to determine if there is a best match .ini

Colin.

CodeMonkey
2004-09-09, 03:17 PM
Quote[/b] (colin @ Sep. 08 2004,18:36)]Hats off to the guys who wrote this, at least it has given us a starting point.

Codemonkey, I may pick your brains over the coming weeks on the src code and what parts are doing.
I agree, they did the hard work and it is a testament to what great things can happen with open projects.

My brain is here for the picking ;)

Sounds like sub should look into implementing cut point logic into gbpvr ;)

colin
2004-09-09, 03:23 PM
Quote[/b] ]I agree, they did the hard work and it is a testament to what great things can happen with open projects.

agreed. we should provide some feedback to them based on our testing. the developers would be interested in it.

Quote[/b] ]My brain is here for the picking ;)

Excellent (in my best Monty Burns impersonation)

Quote[/b] ]Sounds like sub should look into implementing cut point logic into gbpvr ;)

I suggested this to him and I think he is going to look into it. Certainly now that Bigted has had positive results on NZ shows I think that should help:)

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-09, 03:42 PM
I just built comskip. I put a hack in it to take a parameter for the ini name besides comskip.ini if specified. I want to play with it so I can run multiple ini's.

CodeMonkey
2004-09-09, 05:08 PM
I wonder if capture card comes into play for blank frame detection. I suspect it does. If so, finding magic settings that work for everyone won't be possible. A little side application like jorm is working on to help people tune their own setups might be the way to go.

jorm
2004-09-09, 09:21 PM
Comskip tool #1 complete.

Recursively runs the modified comskip (takes param for comskip.ini). If the text file for the commercials is not present it will generate it in a batch processing one at a time.

There is also a config.xml which allows you to define commercial parameters per show if you want, so you can tweak individual shows.

sub can use this if we prove comskip works, to generate commercial information every night.

jorm
2004-09-10, 02:57 AM
I noticed that the comskip exe in the source tree is more accurate then the source code that is there. I built an exe from the source used the same .ini and the result was different. The one I build missed the last commercial set.

colin
2004-09-10, 04:05 AM
Hey Jorm,

i tried your wrapper util but it didn't seem to have any luck in executing comskip. I'll look into it in more detail over the weekend.

Just tried the original comskip.exe on NBC's Joey and it worked nicely,

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-10, 10:37 AM
It looks for comskip in the same directory as the util.

jorm
2004-09-10, 10:44 AM
I am using the downloaded exe not the built one. I just ran it on a saturday night live episode (rerun) caught all of the commercials but cut out the closing credits and goodbye. Still got the content.

colin
2004-09-10, 12:38 PM
I'll look more later but it looks like it tries to start up comskip then it dies immediately and your tool finishes. I suspect its not finding comskip (which is in the dir with your tool). I'll poke about the src later on and see what is happening,

Colin.

bryan
2004-09-10, 06:49 PM
Is there a program already written that can play the mpg file,while reading the comskip output file, with the commercials skipped?

Thanks

colin
2004-09-10, 07:25 PM
The only one i know of is Sagetv.

If we think this is a good route to take (and so far results have been positive) Sub may at some stage include support for this.

Colin.

bryan
2004-09-10, 07:45 PM
Thanks.

I don't know if I want to reinstall Sage on any of my computers.

We need a little test program to play the resulting video.

Do you know if the comskip output is documented anywhere?

colin
2004-09-10, 07:55 PM
There is a link in this thread someone to the sage community site. The simplest way to test it is to download virtualdub_mod (the one with the mpeg extensions) and check the results of comskip in it.

As jorm pointed out the part of interest in the txt file produced by comskip are at the end after "-------". These indicate the start and end of the detected commercial break.

As for the meaning of the .ini file, it is basically self explanatory but ask questions for clarification.

This is how i have been checking the results and so far its pretty good,

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-10, 08:24 PM
I wonder how much work it would be for sub to add support for it.

I finished the second proposed tool.

You give it an config file

<config>
<mpeg file="C:\gbpvr\comskip\Debug\Scrubs.mpg"/>
<ini file="C:\gbpvr\comskip\calcsettings\calcsettings1\ bin\Debug\comskip.ini"/>
<ini file="C:\gbpvr\comskip\calcsettings\calcsettings1\ bin\Debug\comskip2.ini"/>
</config>

and it will run the comskip (the one I built, not as good as the one I downloaded) on each of the mpg generating. If he does not reply I will modify the tools to flip the ini's around to get it to work with the exe (I had modified it to take a config file param).

I have sent an email to the author of the exe asking where is the source for it.

When the application is finished it will generate a report.xml in the directory where you ran it in the following form.
<report>
<mpeg filename="C:\gbpvr\comskip\Debug\Scrubs.mpg">
<config file="C:\gbpvr\comskip\calcsettings\calcsettings1\ bin\Debug\comskip.ini">
<commercial start="7783" end="13091"/>
<commercial start="27724" end="33334"/>
</config>
<config file="C:\gbpvr\comskip\calcsettings\calcsettings1\ bin\Debug\comskip2.ini">
<commercial start="7783" end="13091"/>
<commercial start="27724" end="33334"/>
</config>
</mpeg>
</report>

colin
2004-09-11, 06:21 AM
Does anyone have a problem with comskip when opening mpg's with spaces in the file names?

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-11, 05:39 PM
I will try it this evening. Remember that the filename in the case of one with spaces, will require quotes around the name.

Jorm

colin
2004-09-11, 08:16 PM
Yeah, but i think its on the second pass it has problems opening the file.

Colin.

jorm
2004-09-12, 03:05 PM
I emailed the author of comskip. Actually I emailed the guy whom has added the second pass, the logo detection algorthim.

His post.

http://forums.sage.tv/forums....newpost (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6654&goto=newpost)

He said he will take a look at what is checked in and see if it is the latest.

He seems pretty interested in enhancing comskip so I think we are in pretty good shape.

2004-09-19, 04:42 AM
To make the comskip program more efficient, the source needs to be modified so it can run simultaneously as the program is recording.

As it can check at around 100fps it will easily be able to keep up with the video stream, and when it hits the current end of file, it should wait until more has been recorded.

That way the second the recording has finished, the commercial points are ready to be used. This works well because with digital TV, no CPU is used to save the mpeg file to the hdd.

I have written my own commercial detection program before, but this one has many more ways of checking other than just black frame detection, so it seems to give better results. And it is very fast http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

- James

jorm
2004-09-20, 02:04 AM
I am waiting for the author to check in his code. If you want to make the modifcations to the code I will let you know when he checks it in.

jorm
2004-09-27, 04:00 PM
The author of comskip has just made his latest version available if anyone wants to help test it. If it looks like it works fairly well sub might add support for it.

http://forums.sage.tv/forums....3&pp=20 (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6654&page=13&pp=20)

the links are on the page.

Changelist to Ver 0.30
An XXX.log file will be created for any verbose setting (to aid in troubleshooting)
Added scene change detection
Added fuzzy logic - MAJOR ADDITION (recommend running with verbose=1 to understand) (I think this is the key to perfect detection!)
Console window now shows the timecode of frame being analyzed (easier to understand than frame numbers)
MPEG path and filename can contain spaces. (ATTN: ellweber)
Started support for "special cases" (e.g. Home Improvement always has a 2-4 second "sponsored by" segment followed by a 10 second commercial followed by 30-60 seconds of credits/outtakes - Mark the outtakes as show)
Various internal cleaning and optimization
I'm attaching two zip files. Everyone will need comskipexe.zip. Just replace the files in the SageTV directory and you should be good to go. The comskipsrc.exe is for anyone who wants the changes I made to the source files.

If comskip doesn't work 100% for you, I would appreciate it if you would follow this procedure:
Change the comskip.ini verbose to "verbose=10".
Run comskip on the trouble mpg.
Email the resultant .log file along with an explanation of the problem (i.e. It didn't mark a commercial from 4:56 to 5:34) to jere@sage-community.org
Wait for feedback and/or updated comskip.
If even a few people do that with a wide enough variety of shows, I think we can have comskip up to 99.9% effectiveness.

jorm
2004-09-27, 04:03 PM
The author is aware of the bug with a space in the mpeg filename and hopefully will be fixed soon.

web_maven
2004-09-27, 05:24 PM
Jumping in late;

I believe there is a signal that is transmitted just before a commercial appears. This signal is to inform Subsidiaries that they are going to commercial and can run local Advertisements.

Every watch CSI in the NYC area (USA Based show) and see Advertisements for a local restaurant. Well in CA your not going to get an Advertisement for a restaurant in NYC.

I believe the signal is carried on the Subtitle stream. The Subtitle is used for a lot of different data streams.

Raymond

jorm
2004-09-27, 05:42 PM
We are not writing the commercial detection that is 3rd party freeware. There used to be a signal and some stations still use it but when the first VCR came out with comskip I believe it has been removed. The algorthim seems to be pretty accurate in the last version. I have not tested this one yet.

Jason
2004-09-29, 01:50 PM
Comskip 0.31 has been released. It is simply a minor bugfix to allow spaces in the path(s) to hold spaces.

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums....unt=253 (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59640&postcount=253)

-Jason

jorm
2004-09-29, 02:06 PM
If anyone gets a chance download comskip and run it on a couple of your recordings you can check the results with Virtualdub.

Post your findings here. How accurate was it, did it catch all of the commercials, what did you record and what country you are in.

We need to show that this algorithm is working before we convince sub to support it. We have had good luck with past versions.

PVR(SWE)
2004-09-29, 03:17 PM
Tell me what to download, and how to install (if it's hard to install). And I will try it. I live in Sweden (Stockholm and use the UPC's basic analog service).
Cheers
/Jonas

jorm
2004-09-29, 03:41 PM
If you look at jason's post he has a link click on it download the comskip.0.31.zip and unzip it. There are two files an exe and an ini. To run it type comskip <full path to the mpeg>

for example comskip f:\movies\NipTuck\Nip.mpg

It will run and create a text file with the same name as the mpeg. Open the text file and at the bottom you will see a divider of "---------"

Each line below the divider has two numbers these are the frame offsets for the commercial start and end.

We are trying to make sure it does not cut into the movie.

Install virtualdub and open the mpeg. Move the progress bar over till you hit the frame that was detected and make sure it really is a commercial.

They post how many commercials it found out of how many.

Jorm

nkh
2004-09-29, 08:24 PM
I have tested v0.31 on a couple of recordings. It's tested on my VIA M10000 (@1066MHz with 256MB ram, but running irc, browser, jalcds, antivirus, mbm5 and gbpvr service at the same time). All recordings made at 2500 Kbits/sec with GBpvr and a PVR350. The only setting I changed in the ini file was fps=25 for PAL.

---(1)
file: Becker_20040923_13301400.mpg - No commercial breakes in the show itself.
recorded from norwegian TV2, 32:49 min, processed in 517.51 seconds (95.21fps).

1 4186 - Commercials
4816 6182 - Commercials, program info and start credits
18350 21605 - Mistakenly marked as commercials, probably because the original show has room for commercials at these points
27193 29479 - See above
37260 38600 - Last scene and closing credits
39697 41207 - Commercials
42088 47051 - Commercials, program info and start credits from the following show

---(2)
file: Becker_20040924_13301400.mpg - No commercial breakes in the show itself.
recorded from norwegian TV2, 32:55 min, processed in 615:72 seconds (80.00fps).

5 5525 - Commercials, program info and start credits
19427 23834 - Mistakenly marked as commercials, probably because the original show has room for commercials at these points. Onwards from 23834 to the end, containing the rest of the program, commercials, program info and start credits from the following show

---(3)
file: Becker_20040927_13301400.mpg - No commercial breakes in the show itself.
recorded from norwegian TV2, 32:49 min, processed in 566.81 seconds (86.90fps).

1 7016 - Commercials, program info, start credits and the first 2500 frames of the show

---(4)
file: Becker_20040928_13301400.mpg - No commercial breakes in the show itself.
recorded from norwegian TV2, 32:55 min, processed in 539.49 seconds (91.53fps).

3 5439 - Commercials, program info and start credits. Onwards from 5439 to the end, containing the rest of the program, commercials, program info and start credits from the following show
---

So, it catches most of the commercials and some more. If there were an option to "skip to next comskip point" in GBpvr then it would be very usefull, then you can just skip when you see the start of the commercial breaks and the false breakes it discovers would go on unnoticed. It would be even better if these points were marked out in the progressbar on the OSD so you could see if the next point is realistic or not.

I'll be doing some more testing (prefereble with shows with commercials in the show itself), but overall I'm quite impressed. It's also nice that it runs quite quickly (under 10min for a 30min show) even on a slow machine like mine.

jorm
2004-09-29, 10:16 PM
The author has requested that if you see it cut into the show follow the following steps.

If comskip doesn't work 100% for you, I would appreciate it if you would follow this procedure:
Change the comskip.ini verbose to "verbose=10".
Run comskip on the trouble mpg.
Email the resultant .log file along with an explanation of the problem (i.e. It didn't mark a commercial from 4:56 to 5:34) to jere@sage-community.org
Wait for feedback and/or updated comskip.
If even a few people do that with a wide enough variety of shows, I think we can have comskip up to 99.9% effectiveness.

nkh
2004-09-29, 10:37 PM
okay, I'll try that later. I was just posting here to show that if a skip function is added to gbpvr then it'll work nicely even with this version.

krypton_john
2004-09-30, 03:39 AM
nkh: that is a fantastic idea to skip to next cut point! I've even got buttons on my remote that would make sense for that function http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Sub, this would be a super duper feature for GBPVR. Would it be hard to do? Requesting commercial removal would always be risky as a precious recordings could be damaged, but having the ability to skip to the end of commercials would be soooo handy and non destructive.

sub
2004-09-30, 04:53 AM
If you look back in some of the older posts, thats exactly what we've always intended to do. I will try to put this feature in for the next release.

I have no intention of automatically removing any part of the video. I'll just allow the user to press a button and jump to the next commercial skip point.

reven
2004-09-30, 06:54 AM
are you going to make it possible to delete the ads? not automatically but as a basic editing feature?

sub
2004-09-30, 07:30 AM
Nope, just allow the user to skip to the next detected ad cut point.

I'll leave it up to someone else to write a basic editing plugin. I'd never use this feature, so dont have much interest in doing it myself.

reven
2004-09-30, 07:49 AM
sounds fair enough:)

colin
2004-09-30, 12:49 PM
Hey Jorm,

I ran the lastest version of comskip against a previously 'comskip'ed mpg and this version did not hit as many commercials as the last version. I used the same .ini with this one so there must have been other changes to the detection algorithm. I'll try tweaking the parameters and see what can be done,

cheers,
Colin.

jorm
2004-09-30, 02:33 PM
The author said that he rewrote a lot of the detection algorthims. I figure we are going to have to tweak the ini to see if we can get it working again. He is requesting the logs if you find that it misses a commercial.

I am going to try to run some tests tomorrow at work to see if I can tweak the ini to find anything.

If it looks like it is missing a lot of things I can write the author again.

Jorm

PVR(SWE)
2004-10-05, 02:04 PM
I tried to use comskip but it bugs out. I start it from dos. with the command comskip c:\100.mpg
Everything works great at the start but then it bugs out.
The only thing that I have changed in the .ini file is the fps to 25 (Pal).
Cherrs /Jonas

Jere_Jones
2004-10-06, 01:23 PM
As the current active developer of comskip, I just wanted to pop in and give my 2 cents on this subject.

A) *Thanks for the interest. *I hope everyone of you finds it useful.

B) *While I use SageTV, I'm not biased against the awsome work put into GB-PVR.

C) *Hence, if there are any additions/changes to comskip that I can make that will help y'all out, just ask. *I'd be happy to do what I can.

D) *Along the same lines, if you're having problems with comskip, let me know. *I'm an amateur programmer, so I sometimes (like lately) introduce a bug while trying to fix another. *Have patience, send me the log files, and I'll fix it (or try to).

Enjoy,
Jere

colin
2004-10-06, 02:38 PM
Hey Jere_Jones,

and welcome to the GBPVR forums. comskip is an impressive app and hopefully we'll be able to give it some good testing for you and help you out on it.

Are you happy to check back here for any issues or praises we have or should we log details anywhere else?

Cheers,
Colin.

Jere_Jones
2004-10-06, 02:44 PM
I'll check in here and if I forget, the email notification should remaind me. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif *
However, the log files should go to Jere_Jones@gmail.com along with a description of the problem.

colin
2004-10-06, 02:45 PM
Sounds good, like your signature http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Colin.

jorm
2004-10-06, 06:26 PM
Yes welcome to the GBPVR forums. Comskip is an awesome program you are doing great work.

Jere_Jones
2004-10-08, 03:48 AM
Version 0.42 is up over on the sage forum here (http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=61046&postcount=321).

A list of changes is also there.

Enjoy,
Jere

BTW, command line arguments to choose ini files and change individual settings will be available in about 2 weeks.

stu8080
2004-10-08, 11:08 PM
Been keeping an eye on this forum for a bit, and im glad things are going so well!

First time i tried ComSkip it failed halfway through everytime, but thankfully the new version has fixed this, i know PVR(SWE) mentioned a similair prob.

The only problem i have is with VirtualDub, ive never used his before but when i try to run any of my .mpg files recorded by my PVR-350 it gives me this error: "No video frames found in MPEG file." so i cant check the effectiveness of the commercial points. Anybody any clues as to why this is?

loving your work Jere_Jones and the other developers on this

colin
2004-10-08, 11:40 PM
stu8080

are you using virtualdub or virtualdub_mod? You need to use the latter which can be found here (http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/).

Cheers,
Colin.

stu8080
2004-10-09, 02:02 PM
Thanks Colin, was using the first. VirtualDub_Mod solved the problem!

Jere_Jones
2004-10-09, 07:17 PM
A soon to be added feature of comskip is the ability to output VideoReDo cutlists and ZoomPlayer cutlists. It would not be hard to add a similar routine for GB-PVR if the current output isn't convienent for this group.

If that's the case, just come up with a format and I'll incorporate it.

Jere

sub
2004-10-09, 08:57 PM
Hi Jere,

The current file format is good with me. The only unfortunate thing I find is that people use the same file naming convention (videoname.txt) for other purposes. It would have been good if the comskip file had contained a header line identifying it as such. Currently I'm having to check if the first line has two numbers.

Maybe a command line argument to include an optional header?

Jere_Jones
2004-10-10, 02:27 AM
What about a different extension? *Maybe .cif for commercial identification file. *Or whatever.

I have thought about an enhanced output command line option that would include various information, but I don't know what. *Maybe somethink like:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">
Commercial Identification File
StargateSG1.mpg
29.97fps
----------------------------
1456 5030
10394 14950
22349 27930
[/QUOTE]

Ideas?

Jere

sub
2004-10-10, 02:40 AM
Yes, I think that&#39;d be pretty good. Although I&quot;m not sure about the extension, I think .cif is already used for something. Are three letter extension still required by anything these days? *.comskip might be good?

Jere_Jones
2004-10-10, 03:10 AM
Quote[/b] (sub @ Oct. 09 2004,21:40)]*.comskip might be good
hehe. *Good idea.

On a different subject -- Anyone that is using 0.42 would probably do well to download 0.43 from here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61345&postcount=345). *I introduced a bug that basically crippled comskips ability to correctly mark commercials. *0.43 fixes this bug.

Jere

tkgafs
2004-10-10, 11:52 AM
hi,

just tried latest version of comskip on british tv broadcast of japanese grand prix and it seems to have worked perfectly.

I havent watched the recording yet so I dont know if it missed any commercials but with a quck skip through with virtual dub it certainly hasn&#39;t detected any bits of the broadcast as commercials

thanks for a good tool

once support is built into gbpvr it will be awesome to just skip past commercials

tkgafs

jorm
2004-10-10, 12:23 PM
Comskip support in GBPvr would be great. *I always seem to go into the movie when skipping and have to go back. *Pushing a commercial skip button would be really cool.

Worked great on Adromedia and Jack and Bobby (US).

Jere_Jones we appreciate the work you have done and are doing.

Jere_Jones
2004-10-15, 04:07 AM
Version 0.50 is posted here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62218&postcount=374).

It fixes a few bugs and adds the ability to output zoomplayer cutlist and chapter files. It can also output VideoRedo project files.

Enjoy,
Jere

dottore
2004-10-15, 08:32 AM
that means, the movie can automatically be cutted, right? nice idea, good work, keep it up&#33;

i think, an option in the configuration dialog would be nice, to make gbpvr skip the comercials automatically, if comskip is used.

colin
2004-10-15, 12:56 PM
Sub is looking into adding the functionality to understand comkip files (see his previous posts in this thread:))

@Jere_Jones,

I have been playing with the .ini file and man its sensitive http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Out of interest what country do you live in? On some American shows the commercials are a pain in the arse, as you may have a number of black transitions within a commerical period to advertise news shows coming up, etc.

I&#39;m trying to figure out the settings for comskip to hopefully cope with this, other than that it does a failry good job. Have not had it cut up a programme yet.

Cheers,
Colin.

Neo01
2004-10-15, 04:31 PM
Hello
I was follwing this thread a little bit and also tried comskip with success.

I had just the follwing idea:
Does it really make sense to use the commercial skip function based on frames?
Basically if the commercial info is based on frames, then the file get&#39;s useless if the mpeg is once transcoded to xvid,...

I think to base the system on frames is good for automatically cutting the commercials.
But as soon the files are further processed, a format like the Edit Descision List (EDL) (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#edl) of the mplayer would make more sense.

btw Is there already a tool for automatic cutting and transcoding of all records existing?

Regards Neo

colin
2004-10-15, 04:58 PM
Quote[/b] ]Does it really make sense to use the commercial skip function based on frames?
Basically if the commercial info is based on frames, then the file get&#39;s useless if the mpeg is once transcoded to xvid,...

For using within GBPVR, i imagine frame numbers are fine - I don&#39;t know if Sub internally tranlates this into a timestamp or not.

As for xvid, never used it so have no idea. Does encoding into xvid change the number of frames?

Quote[/b] ]btw Is there already a tool for automatic cutting and transcoding of all records existing?

Don&#39;t think so, though it would be a simple matter of looking at what exists to do transcoding/encoding and cobble something together.

Colin.

bryan
2004-10-15, 09:10 PM
Colin,
Have you experimented with Comskip (v0.5)? If so, did you make any changes to the default Comskip.ini file?

Thanks,

Bryan

colin
2004-10-15, 09:45 PM
Not yet, i&#39;ll take a look at it over the weekend,

Colin.

mjp
2004-10-15, 10:01 PM
Quote[/b] ]As for xvid, never used it so have no idea. Does encoding into xvid change the number of frames?

Yes is my understanding, hence tools like reclock.

Cheers

Mark

jorm
2004-10-18, 02:59 PM
v.50 has a tendancy to crash at the end of processing a mpeg. *Jere-Jones has released v.51 which is more stable.

Please update to that if you want to continue testing with it.

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1265

Jere_Jones
2004-10-19, 02:43 AM
Quote[/b] (jorm @ Oct. 18 2004,09:59)]v.50 has a tendancy to crash at the end of processing a mpeg. *Jere-Jones has released v.51 which is more stable.
And (sadly enough) v.51 had the tendency to crash at the end also. The problem was positively identified and fixed in v.52 which can be gotten here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=62917&postcount=395) or the absolute bleeding edge version can always be gotten on the sage-community.org website. Go to browse source and look for the jeredev branch or here&#39;s a deep link (http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/browser/comskip/branches/jeredev/).

As always, if you find any problems, please let me know.

Jere

jorm
2004-10-20, 03:17 PM
Has anyone started to tweak the ini to improve the detection with v.52? I have run v.52 on 3 shows 2 of them it did a great job on (SG1 and The West Wing). The 3rd it did not detect anything (Scrubs), so I am going to try to change the logo_threshold. Has anyone else made other changes besides the framerate?

I will let you know what I find.

Jorm

bryan
2004-10-20, 04:28 PM
I ran it on Judging Amy lasy night and it worked fine. I have made two changes to the ini file but they had nothing to do with the detection parameters. The changes I made were to tell it to delete the logo file and the chop file, that way GB-PVR will delete the entire directory when it deletes the mpg file.

Jere_Jones
2004-10-22, 05:45 AM
I&#39;ve posted v0.60 here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63464&postcount=424).

It fixes the crashes that I&#39;ve had reported to me and adds closed captioning as an information source. *This is probably one of the biggest advances in comskip in a long time.

I hope y&#39;all enjoy.
Jere

krypton_john
2004-10-22, 09:54 AM
Jere, you are a legend&#33;

I ran 60.0 through a selection of tv shows and movies and...

I cannot fault it&#33; Flawless&#33;

I AM IN COMMERCIAL FREE HEAVEN&#33;&#33;&#33;

Thanks&#33;

jorm
2004-10-22, 03:38 PM
Jere,

Great work&#33; I plan on testing the new release out today if work is slow.

Krypton_john,

Do you have closed captioning enabled in your recordings?

I am considering turning it on to get the benefit of the new detection algorithm.

Just to save everyone from redoing my research

You have to change one setting the direct.ini file. Open direct.ini in a text editor and to each recording quality section (including live TV) add OutputType=14

jorm

DavidJames
2004-10-22, 06:03 PM
Sorry for a maybe dumb question, but could someone point me to some instructions regarding how this works?

jorm
2004-10-22, 06:45 PM
How comskip works? Or how it is used by gbpvr?

The former
Multiple algorthims including closed captioning (new in ver .60), black frame detection, logo detection and scene change rate.

The later
You need gbpvr v22.7

you need to download comskip v.60 or greater and drop the exe and ini in the gbpvr directory. Edit comskip to change the framerate unless you are 29.97.

After the movie is recorded a low priroity thread is spun off to process the file. Leaving a txt file with the same name as the movie. It contains locations for commercial segments.

When you run gbpvr and are viewing a show with commercial skipping. Hit the blue button. You will see sections with green highlights. Those are for commercial segments.

When you hit one of those hit 0 skip and it will move to the end of the commercial. If you hit 0 skip and it is in the show it will jump to the next commercial start.

You can verify the accuracy of the detection with virtualdubmod or viewing the recording.

Jorm

DavidJames
2004-10-22, 06:55 PM
Thanks jorm, it was the &quot;latter&quot; http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

pancapangrawit
2004-10-22, 07:02 PM
Hi, I would also love to see some explanation of the configuration options in the ini. It&#39;s not that selfexplanatory if one doesn&#39;t understand the tv-cues used to identify commercials.

I&#39;m trying to use this in Germany, with very little success so far. To me in Germany cuts into commercials just appear like other cuts in films, yet there might be things not visible to eyes. I had biggest hopes in Logo-identification, because that&#39;s the one consistent thing I obseve in Germany - I don&#39;t think there are ever logos in German commercials. Yet sofar no success at all - I wonder how I could verify whether the channel-logo is identified at all. I see a logo.txt file in the folder but don&#39;t know what to make of it.

As Jere said himself, the new cc might be of little use in Europe? In Germany VBI-Data contains Teletext information which is a quite extensive information service by broadcasting-stations. Most channels have many pages and you either need software or a compatible TV-set to access and select the pages. One of the pages per channel might contain subtitles - but neither the page-number is consistent between channels nor do all films have subtitles. So I guess no use for the cc-feature in Europe?

In the latest version a few options have disappeared from the ini-file, among others, it seems, the Zoomplayer chapter-files. Are they just left out or has the function been removed?

I would love to see this working in Germany as well, and if I can help, I&#39;d try to. Jere told us to send logs, but I often get no cuts at all, and if I get any - would they be of any use without the video?

Again, I find this a great initiative, really really usefull. Yet now luck for me so far. I&#39;d love to get a few tips what I could try or where I could get additional information.

Best
.r.

colin
2004-10-22, 07:53 PM
Hey pancapangrawit,

I&#39;m not sure if this is possible but Jere_Jones would probably benefit from some segments of European mpg&#39;s which he can look through himself. Again, unless people have good bandwidth this would not be possible.

I&#39;m not sure if anyone here has good extensive knowledge of all the options in the .ini to give suggestions of tweaking it but as we learn more we&#39;ll certainly post our findings.

Out of interest what countries are so far having success with comskip? I know a few of us in the US are,

Cheers,

sub
2004-10-22, 08:01 PM
I&#39;ve had reasonable success with the few test files I&#39;ve tried it on here in New Zealand.

jorm
2004-10-22, 08:22 PM
I have had some good success with most shows using comskip. Some shows not as good. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Well I got an answer and a question.

First my question. I have seen on the comskip form that for the hauppauge driver 250/350 you have to modify the registry to get closed captioning. Do I need to do this?

Example:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#92;System&#92;CurrentControlSet&#92;Servic es&#92;Globespan&#92;Parameters&#92;ivac15&#92;Driver]
&quot;InsertCCInDvd&quot;=dword:00000001 (set the encoder to insert the data into the mpeg, 1 for on, 0 for off)

The answer.

pancapangrawit,

http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/ComSkipIniInfo

Feel free to tweak away just post the results you find.

Setting Default
-----------------------------------------------
fps 29.97
border 10
max_brightness 100
test_brightness 60
max_avg_brightness 15
max_commercialbreak 350
min_commercialbreak 90
max_commercial_size 120
min_commercial_size 4
require_div5 0
div5_tolerance 1
detect_method 31
give_up_logo_search 600
play_nice_start -1
play_nice_end -1
delete_logo_file 1
global_threshold -1
two_pass_logo 1
logo_threshold .75
logo_max_percentage_of_screen .35
verbose 0
intelligent_brightness 1
black_percentile .0075
score_percentile .70
output_default 1
output_zoomplayer_cutlist 0
output_zoomplayer_chapter 0
output_videoredo 0
length_strict_modifier 3.0
length_nonstrict_modifier 1.5
combined_length_strict_modifier 2.0
combined_length_nonstrict_modifer 1.25
logo_present_modifier 0.0
excessive_length_modifier 0.0
padding 0
min_schange_modifier 0.5
max_schange_modifer 2.0
cc_commercial_type_modifier 4.0
cc_wrong_type_modifier 2.0
cc_correct_type_modifier 0.5
fps - set this to the fps of the source (NTSC = 29.97, PAL = 25)
border - the number of pixels on each side to ignore for commercial detection
max_brightness - a frame will not be labled as black if it contains a pixel brighter than this (0 - 255)
test_brightness - if all pixels in a frame have a brightness lower than this, the frame is black (0 - 255)
max_avg_brightness - the maximum average brightness for a frame to be considered black (0 - 255)
max_commercialbreak - a commercial break can not exceed this length (in seconds)
min_commercialbreak - a commercial break must exceed this length (in seconds)
max_commercial_size - any segment longer than this can not be a commercial (in seconds)
min_commercial_size - any segment shorter than this will not be labled as a commercial unless it can be combined with another segment for a proper length (in seconds)
require_div5 - segments must be divisible by 5 to be considered a commercial. ignored if fuzzy logic is selected (0 = off, 1 = on)
div5_tolerance - defines the tolerance for the div5 requirement. overrides the intelligent tolerance in fuzzy logic (in seconds)
detect_method - a sum of the detection methods to be used (1 - 15)
-- 1 = black frame detection (this is required, comskip cannot run without black frame detection)
-- 2 = logo detection
-- 4 = scene change rate monitoring (also supplements black frame detection)
-- 8 = fuzzy logic
-- 16 = closed captioning
give_up_logo_search - defines how far into the show comskip will try to identify a station logo (in seconds)
play_nice_start - determines the start time for comskip to throttle itself back (in military time)
play_nice_end - determines the start time for comskip to throttle itself back (in military time)
-- If the start time is after the end time then comskip will throttle back over midnight
delete_logo_file - delete the logo data file that is generated when running the second pass. can be interesting if you want to see what comskip thought the logo was (0 = no, 1 = yes)
global_threshold - overrides the intelligent threshold (score_threshold) in fuzzy logic
two_pass_logo - starts the detection process over when a logo is detected (0 = off, 1 = on)
logo_threshold - defines the percentage of similarity between frames when trying to detect a logo. higher is more strict (0.0 - 1.0)
logo_max_percentage_of_screen - if the potential logo exceed this percentage of the screen, it is discarded. useful for those enzyte commercials (0.0 - 1.0)
verbose - if set to 1 or higher, comskip will create a log file with varying degrees of information. (0 - 10)
intelligent_brightness - automatically adjust the brightness threshold to be determined a black frame based on the darkest frame decoded (0 = off, 1 = on)
black_threshold - the percentage of frames that should be labeled as black (0.0 - 1.0)
score_threshold - the minimum percentage of the show that should be labeled as show (0.0 - 1.0)
-- can be overriden with the global_threshold setting
output_default - output the traditional .txt file (0 - no, 1 = yes)
output_zoomplayer_cutlist - output a zoomplayer cutlist file (0 - no, 1 = yes)
output_zoomplayer_chapter - output a zoomplayer chapter file (0 - no, 1 = yes)
output_videoredo - output a VideoRedo? project file (0 - no, 1 = yes)
length_strict_modifier - score multiplier if block is a traditional commercial length
length_nonstrict_modifier - score multiplier if block is a less restrictive commercial length
combined_length_strict_modifier - same as above but this modifies block that are combined
combined_length_nonstrict_modifer - same as above but this modifies block that are combined
logo_present_modifier - score multiplier if a block has a logo detected
excessive_length_modifier - score multiplier if a block&#39;s length exceeds max_commercialbreak
padding - shrinks all commercial breaks by a set amount on each side (in frames)
min_schange_modifier - the minimum score multiplier for blocks that have a low scene change rate
max_schange_modifier - the maximum score multiplier for blocks that have a high scene change rate
cc_commercial_type_modifier - the score multiplier for blocks that have closed captions indicating a commercial
cc_wrong_type_modifier - the score multiplier for blocks that do not have the style of closed captions that is most common in the recording
cc_correct_type_modifier - the score multiplier for blocks that have the style of closed captions that is most common in the recording

krypton_john
2004-10-22, 08:23 PM
Quote[/b] (jorm @ Oct. 23 2004,03:38)]Jere,

Great work&#33; *I plan on testing the new release out today if work is slow.

Krypton_john, *

Do you have closed captioning enabled in your recordings?

I am considering turning it on to get the benefit of the new detection algorithm.

Just to save everyone from redoing my research

You have to change one setting the direct.ini file. Open direct.ini in a text editor and to each recording quality section (including live TV) add OutputType=14

jorm
I don&#39;t know if CC is enabled or not - I just changed the FPS value to 25 for PAL. The rest f the settings are as delivered in the ini file with 60.0. I don&#39;t want to touch it now&#33;

Regards
JohnO

sub
2004-10-22, 08:36 PM
Quote[/b] ]First my question. I have seen on the comskip form that for the hauppauge driver 250/350 you have to modify the registry to get closed captioning. Do I need to do this?

You have to change settings the direct.ini file. Open direct.ini in a text editor and to each recording quality section (except live TV) add OutputType=14

jorm
2004-10-22, 08:37 PM
CC Testing by comskip is enabled with the ini. I ment enabling closed captioning with gbpvr, so I can test this new fuctionality.

pancapangrawit
2004-10-22, 08:53 PM
Hi Jorm and Colin, thank you for the reply. It gives me a lot to look into :-). I&#39;ll be happy to send some videos - my upstream isn&#39;t too fast but I wouldn&#39;t mind sending a few-100 MB somewhere over a night or so. For this to be useful I should know what kind of segments to pick out and in which format to record.

I wonder whether anything of the cc-aspect is relevant to the European countries where tele-/videotext is used?

Best
.r.

jorm
2004-10-23, 01:24 PM
I have not had success enabling closed captioning in gbpvr, so I can try out the new comskip detection. See my post in support &quot;Enabling Closed Captioning&quot;. Has anyone else been able to try it yet?

Fillian
2004-10-27, 06:10 AM
The comskip detection in 0.60 works amazingly well&#33;

One capability in GBPVR that would be really useful would be an autoskip setting (maybe a tag in config.xml) that causes the playback to automatically jump to the next post-commercial point without requiring the remote. My wife gets quite annoyed when I&#39;m not paying enough attention to the TV to blast through the commercials. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

jorm
2004-10-27, 10:46 AM
Fillian,

Do you have closed captioning enabled?

pancapangrawit
2004-10-27, 12:01 PM
Filian - with that name - do you happen to be in Germany? If yes, could you post me your .ini-settings?
.r.

stu8080
2004-10-27, 06:39 PM
Are there any british users having success?

Im having a very mixed success rate, i think our logos are very varied (Five has that fade across screen effect that might not be picked up) and no CC available i dont think, im sure our .ini settings need to be tweaked to get best results.

Jorm i think it sounds like we have similair problems with CC. someone on the sage forum described how ours (Europe) differ from the US etc in that ours are called up through a wider info subchannel (teletext/ceefax etc) and so the CC page numbers differ by channel. Ive had no success with them, could this be the reason?

A concise description on how ComSkip works is here which helps me understand things a little:
How ComSkip works (http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/ComSkipLogic)

stu8080
2004-10-27, 06:46 PM
pancapangrawit, sorry mate, just noticed you made the very same point on the previous page&#33; i apologise

pancapangrawit
2004-10-27, 07:47 PM
Hi, no problem stu8080, rather interesting. So do you also have something like we in Germany in Britain? Each-channel has its own offerings and you pick them by page numbers. Do you also use vtplus as an interface for it? If that&#39;s the case, I don&#39;t think it makes sense to try to enable cc in the registry. You can use vtplus without enabling anything in the registry, and I think there is no way with hauppauge to display the videotext/teletext on the same screen as the monitor. I&#39;m not sure what happens by enabling cc in the registry. Maybe change the way how the information in the &quot;vbi-stream&quot; is interpreted?
Best
.r.

stu8080
2004-10-27, 08:28 PM
Essentially yeah, the only good thing is that subtitles are always channel 888. Ive not played with vtplus much, i might see how it works.
On Sky satellite system the subtitles feature is switched on at the reciever and so i dont know if the CC info would be present on the Composite TV-in of the TV card and would show on all recordings/live TV or whether the info is always transmited to Comp in and Sky reciever makes it visible/invisible in which case it might be picked up by PVR-350 regardless.

Im using just terrestrial channels via aeriel in and having no luck at all.

Fillian
2004-10-27, 08:51 PM
Hi Jorm - as far as I know, no I don&#39;t have CC enabled. I&#39;m using the stock comskip.ini that came with the package and haven&#39;t messed with the PVR-150/PVR-350 settings to enable CC. (I have a dual tuner setup.) I haven&#39;t fiddled with brightness or any of the other settings because I&#39;ve been getting good results so far on detection.

If only it autoskipped for me... [0]+ [-&#124;] is such a awkward one-handed combo on a Hauppauge remote. * http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Panc - sorry, I&#39;m in the US, getting NTSC over Comcast cable service. &#39;Fillian&#39; was the name of a D&amp;D character I played 13 years ago. * http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

pancapangrawit
2004-10-27, 09:06 PM
Thank you anyways, Filian.

Stu8080 - I wonder whether it is possible at all to get vbi-data via composite in (and not the tuner). You might want to try with vtplus first - choose channe 254 and see whether you get anything. As I said I don&#39;t think there is a way to get videotext on the tvscreen, except you have a player software that explicitly supports it (like dScaler on AVI-cards). WinTV2000 doesn&#39;t do it.
It appears to be different in the States, an American might help us out here: if you enable CC in the registry, are subtitles automatically displayed on the tv-screen? - maybe regardless of the player-software you use?

Best
.r.

reven
2004-10-28, 02:26 AM
this is more of a wish than anything, but sub could you make skipping a commerical just a one button function (well two including the blue) like blue then just skip not 0-skip, or a color button or something, those buttons are just far away and seems unnatural to use them together. maybe &quot;the button with no name&quot;
cheers,
reven

krypton_john
2004-10-28, 07:50 AM
Heh&#33; Amen to that&#33;

On my X10 remote 0-skip has my hand playing twister.

There&#39;s some spare keys available so I&#39;ll probably just reprogram the girder to send the &lt;0&gt;,&lt;ctrl&gt;(right/left&gt; combo off one button.

Dai
2004-10-28, 01:20 PM
I&#39;d add my vote to a one key solution for skipping to end of comercial. Can we just have one of the colour buttons to do it maybe.

Thanks

Dai

davisj36
2004-10-28, 04:19 PM
Ditto&#33; http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

nkh
2004-10-28, 04:51 PM
maybe use Play to skip? I assume the coloured buttons would soon be needed for plugins that are showing things on the screen.

pancapangrawit
2004-10-28, 04:56 PM
Using play is a *very* good idea if a logic can be found to distinguish when play means play and when comskip.
My vote for that&#33;&#33;
Best
.r.

jorm
2004-10-28, 05:02 PM
Comskip detects most of my commericals. I tried (for a few minutes) to enable the CC on my 250 so I can use that kind of detection. I dont think it is working, but the stock comskip works fairly well. I have seen it detect 2 commercial segments with a small gap in between where the logo logic failed and it thought it went back to the show for 200 frames. I suggested to jerejones that he add an ini value for the min show length between two commercials. I can always write my own post processor that will modify the ini for me.

sub
2004-10-28, 05:06 PM
In the first few pre-release of this build I used the skip button by itself if the comskip file was found. Unfortunately comskip isn&#39;t perfect (and some bits of shows are boring) so I still found myself needing the skip keys. At the time I&#39;d pretty much used all the keys.

I&#39;ll look into whether play can be used.

reven
2004-10-28, 09:33 PM
i vote for the button with no name, like is it used anywhere else?

sub
2004-10-28, 09:40 PM
I think its used for toggling between fullscreen and windows mode when you&#39;re sitting at the menu, but I could reuse it for comskip during video playback. The only problem I see is it doesnt have a clear equivalent on the MCE remote (which I also support), or any other remote I&#39;m likely to support in the future.

reven
2004-10-28, 09:52 PM
thats true, would it be possible to make it the no name button ob the hauppauge remote and a different button on a different remote? (like im sure theres a button or two on the mce remote which has no use in gbpvr at the moment) or would this be a really stupid idea, programming side? *

i thought the full button switched to fullscreen mode, if not whats the one do?

pancapangrawit
2004-10-28, 11:30 PM
My hope is, that the unused button one day will be used for to invoke functionality like control of brighness, contrast hue etc. :-). Play is really useless while you play, so you waste no other button if you use it for comskip.

Good that you kept skip as skip, Sub. As you said comskip can fail. And then you might want to skip without wanting to head to the next comskip-slice (I set skip to 5 minutes). It&#39;s good to keep skip and comskip apart.

Best
.r.

chasef
2004-10-29, 02:24 AM
I might&#39;ve missed this along the way but does anyone know why I&#39;m getting comskip running on only the last file in a string of back-to-back recordings? I have the latest versions of both GB-PVR and comskip. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks&#33;

2004-10-30, 09:10 AM
I got comskip working, And it works great, sometimes it is a couple of secounds of, but that&#39;s no big problem. I live in Sweden there we have PAL but I use 29.97 NTSC and it works as well. Is this strange or I am lucky??
Cheers /Jonas

MaBo
2004-11-01, 08:35 AM
Hi,
Finally had success with comskip (v.0.6). It used to only detect one or two commercial breaks in a movie. But apparantly the breaks are shorter (but more often) in the US than in the Netherlands. Now I&#39;ve changed the maximum commercial break duration from 305 to 505 seconds it gets them all, it appears.

So, thanks&#33;

And for the skip function, wouldn&#39;t it be nice to just push skip twice to skip to the next commercial start/stop? It makes sense in my opinion...

Greetz,
MaBo

rtiangha
2004-11-01, 09:18 AM
Quote[/b] ]And for the skip function, wouldn&#39;t it be nice to just push skip twice to skip to the next commercial start/stop? It makes sense in my opinion...

Except that if it was set up this way and you had the skip button set to skip ahead by 1 minute and wanted to skip two minutes ahead in a recording, you wouldn&#39;t be able to push the skip button twice to do that.

reven
2004-11-01, 09:44 AM
yeah push twice i think is a bad idea, theres enough unused buttons which could be used

Dai
2004-11-01, 01:28 PM
What would be good is if something came up on the OSD when it gets to a commercial it has detected saying &#39;Commercial detected, Press Play to skip&#39; and then you press play. I say this because it sometimes does not get all the commercials and I&#39;ve tried to skip ones it did not detect and thought something was going wrong. It would be good if it let you know when you can do the skip. This also means I wont watch half of the commercials before remebering I can skip them.

What do people think?

Dai

jorm
2004-11-01, 06:18 PM
Dai,

I like that idea.

Jorm

reven
2004-11-01, 07:28 PM
yeah thats a good idea.

pancapangrawit
2004-11-01, 10:37 PM
I think Dai&#39;s idea is good, might be a bit complicated to implement, though.

A bit simpler but still cool might be, to make &#39;play&#39; become &#39;skip&#39; every time, when we are within a block, which comskip has identified as commercial (the ones greyed out in the time-line).

I guess the simplest, yet still functional would be, to make play mean skip any time when a video is allready playing and a comskip file exists.

Best
.r.

emitrom
2004-11-09, 03:37 PM
Hello,

where can I down load the comskip detection? Is it a plugin or included in the lastest version fo the build? I couldn&#39;t find it in the download section

Thanks&#33;

colin
2004-11-09, 04:28 PM
comskip is a 3rd party app. i have updated the first post in this thread to point to the latest comskip by Jere_Jones.

In future i&#39;ll update the first post to point to the latest binary,

Cheers,
Colin.

Jere_Jones
2004-11-11, 06:29 PM
It&#39;s been awhile, but I&#39;ve finally put up another version. *0.61 is available here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67533&postcount=503).

It adds:
* a command line argument to select the ini file
* min_show_segment_length to ini file
* dictionary file for show/commercial substring matching
* massive improvements on logo detection to reduce false positives
* aspect ratio as a detection method

Enjoy,
Jere

pancapangrawit
2004-11-12, 06:58 PM
Sounds great, Jere_Jones, can&#39;t wait to try it - but I&#39;m out for a week.

Thanks
.r.

NLS
2004-11-12, 09:52 PM
commercial detection has something to do with special (maybe hidden) scanlines in TV broadcast or is based on something else probably useful to people in all countries?

what is the concept behind commercial detection?

Jere_Jones
2004-11-13, 12:24 AM
ComSkip looks for things that are plainly visible. *I wish there was some secret code that was sent to indicate show or commercial, but the sad truth is we have to look at things like black frames, the presence of a logo, scene change rate, etc. to determine if a given frame is a part of a show or a commercial.

This link (http://www.sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/ComSkipLogic) explains how an older version of comskip worked and may explain a couple things better for you.

Jere

CodeMonkey
2004-11-14, 03:04 PM
I just installed subversion and grabbed all the latest source, but I can&#39;t get it to build completely. Libmpeg2 builds fine. However comskip is missing two files:

config.h
strings.h

There is a config.h inthe libmpeg2&#92;vc++ path, is that the one to use? I don&#39;t see a strings.h anywhere on my hard drive. What am I doing wrong? I am using Visual Studio 2003 to build.

Thanks.

Jere_Jones
2004-11-14, 11:20 PM
The config.h is located in the libmpeg2/include directory.
The strings.h should come with Visual Studio 6.

Jere

CodeMonkey
2004-11-16, 03:17 AM
Thanks Jere. *I will try and build it on the other machine that has VC6 installed.

Update: I had to add the file comskip.c to the comskip project to get it to link, but it did end up building in VC6. Thanks Jere.

Jere_Jones
2004-11-21, 02:41 PM
The latest (and last) version of comskip is here (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=69696&postcount=572).

Jere

fini
2004-11-21, 03:04 PM
why&#39;s it the last version? Has development stopped for some reason?

fini

2004-11-21, 03:36 PM
Hey do you guys know if it&#39;s possible to get commerical detection when you record back to back to back shows? I find I only get detection in the very last show for some reason.

Thanks,

Dubya

Jere_Jones
2004-11-21, 03:43 PM
Quote[/b] (fini @ Nov. 21 2004,10:04)]why&#39;s it the last version? Has development stopped for some reason?

fini
Development has stopped due to philisophical differences between myself and the management at Frey Technologies.

I will, of course, fix any bugs as they are brought to my attention.

Jere

sub
2004-11-21, 04:02 PM
Quote[/b] ]Hey do you guys know if it&#39;s possible to get commerical detection when you record back to back to back shows? I find I only get detection in the very last show for some reason.
This bug is fixed in the next release.

jorm
2004-11-21, 05:38 PM
Jere Jones,

Thank you for the great amount of work that you have put into comskip, I know many gbpvr users are thrilled with your contribution. * I am sorry to hear that this is the last version. *

I do not believe that you will find any philisophical differences between yourself and the management at GBPVR. If you wish to defect.

http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jorm

krypton_john
2004-11-21, 06:31 PM
Hi Jere,

That&#39;s too bad about the &#39;Philsophical Differences&#39; :-(

Thanks so much for putting all the work into comskip - it&#39;s a great enhancement to GBPVR and no doubt other PVR apps.

All the best,
JohnO

davisj36
2004-11-22, 12:55 AM
Hey Jere_Jones.

Thanks very much for the wonderful software&#33;. I&#39;m sure that you would be much appreciated if you decided to hang out over here at gbpvr... we still love you. http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

pancapangrawit
2004-11-24, 07:34 PM
Hi Jere,

thank&#39;s for your great contribution.

best
.r.

chasef
2004-11-24, 07:58 PM
Jere,
*Is it possible to remove the new &quot;FILE PROCESSING FINISHED&quot; or whatever header from the output frame cutlist? *GB-PVR doesn&#39;t like the added lines, right now, and they have to be deleted before it&#39;ll read the cut points (unless sub&#39;s gonna fix this in the next release.) *Thanks&#33;

Oh, and awesome work&#33; ^_^

sub
2004-11-24, 08:02 PM
chasef, email one of the files to me at support@devnz.com and I&#39;ll make it handle this.

chasef
2004-11-24, 09:33 PM
On its way...

Jere_Jones
2004-11-26, 02:02 AM
I&#39;ve posted version 0.63 here. (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70563&postcount=611)

It is only a bugfix version. *If comskip has been crashing on you or you have unicode characters in your filenames, you should upgrade.

Regarding the &quot;FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE&quot;, that is there for a reason. *Comskip can now process files as they are being recorded. *It will write the commercials to the .txt files as it finds them using the information is has. *After it is done scanning the file, it uses all the possible information and puts &quot;FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE&quot; to indicate that there is no need to reload the txt file anymore.

I guess this isn&#39;t a documented fact, but any program that uses comskip&#39;s .txt files should ignore anything before a line containing only dashes. *This is used for logging and misc stuff.

Jere