PDA

View Full Version : Media mvp use? Newb question?

nv40
2006-01-17, 04:48 AM
Could someone let me know if I have a proper understanding of this device and it ability with gbpvr before I purchase one.

1. this device will work out of the box with GBPVR?
2. I can hook this up to a tv anywhere in the house and as long as i run a network connection to it, i'm good to go (will it work wireless?)?
3. Is the on-screen menu the same menu as gbpvr, or does gbpvr just feed the media to it, and mediamvp has it's on menu and way of working?
4. Do functions like comskip work with it, for example-- I have gbpvr set with comskip so that when I watch the shows on my gbpvr box, the commericals are skipped automatically...does this work through the mediamvp?
5. Will it allow me to control the gbpvr's other functions...such as settings up new recordings? watch live tv? view the tv guide?
6. Is there a limit to how many can connect to gbpvr, and are their limitations if more than one is connected? (obviously it can only transmit one live tv channel at a time, but what about recordings?)

Thanks to whoever can handle these, I just didn't want to go out and spend 80 bucks before I knew if it would handle the functions I absolutely want it for. And if anyone wants to chime in on the best price they have found and where, that would be great also.

groover km
2006-01-17, 04:58 AM
1) Yes.
2) Yes. I have wired and wireless; wired is more reliable, but I believe Hauppauge have a wireless version in the wings for release soon.
3) Yes. Looks the same on the tv as on the pc.
4) Yes.
5) Yes.
6) I think Hauppauge say 8, most I've seen in this forum is 4, and it depends on your RAM, etc. 2 is common. You can only watch one channel per tuner, but you can use each MVP independently (watch tv on one, watch video on another).

7 - bonus question) Check out Radio Shack if you are in the US; they were flogging them just before xmas for $40.

Hope this helps!

SFX Group
2006-01-17, 08:16 AM
1) Yes.
Not stricly true, one MVP box and no software means you need to set up a DHCP server of some descrption, it doesnt need the Hauppauge driver but does need the DHCP server as Hauppauge didnt think to allow you to set the IP address staticlly (muppets).

Many Thanks
Ashley

spsully
2006-01-17, 04:00 PM
I recently purcahsed a MediaMVP from RadioShack for $40 (December 22nd). Bought the last one in that store. Check around at local radioshacks - there are still some out there. If you are nice they will check the regions inventory for you.

SPS

nv40
2006-01-17, 04:04 PM
Not stricly true, one MVP box and no software means you need to set up a DHCP server of some descrption, it doesnt need the Hauppauge driver but does need the DHCP server as Hauppauge didnt think to allow you to set the IP address staticlly (muppets).

Many Thanks
Ashley

Sorry, I should have been more precise....I simply meant plug and play with gbpvr. I am pretty good with networking and I'm very competent with what that all entails. I have a network set up and I'm allready running a dhcp server. By the way, you can achieve semi-static addressing for the mvp if whatever dhcp server you are using allows you to reserve ip's based on mac address. Simply pick whatever ip you want the box to stay as, and lock it to the box's ip address, then anytime it is connected it will always be given the same ip address.

SFX Group
2006-01-17, 08:10 PM
you can achieve semi-static addressing for the mvp if whatever dhcp server you are using allows you to reserve ip's based on mac address.
I know this, problem is DHCP is a nightmare, HP JetDirect cards love them, (so does WebJetadmin) just creates a network with holes normally.

I will have to have a DHCP server with static MAC address assigned long lease addresses. Still would prefer not to but such is life.

Many Thanks
Ashley

jc8472
2006-01-20, 08:19 PM
Hi!

Will the MVP, in conjunction with GBPVR, play Windows Media Videos? Also,

how does the pq compares with a dvd player (which is mpeg playback

capable)? Are there any adjustable settings for color balance, hue, etc?

KS4UA
2006-01-20, 10:14 PM
I know this, problem is DHCP is a nightmare, HP JetDirect cards love them, (so does WebJetadmin) just creates a network with holes normally.

I will have to have a DHCP server with static MAC address assigned long lease addresses. Still would prefer not to but such is life.

Many Thanks
Ashley

The hardest part of the install, for me, was running the Cat5e cable under my crawlspace (banged my knee) and then getting a good crimp on the cable ends. Don't laugh...it's not as easy as it sounds, especially if you're a newbie at making network cables. :rolleyes:

The DHCP part was simple for me. I configured my Netgear router/switch to serve DHCP, limited the assignable DHCP range to only one address (because all the other PCs on my LAN are already assigned static IPs) and it seems to work perfectly. No need for the Hauppauge software at all. :)

However, reading this forum has convinced me to NEVER try to hook up my "non-wireless" MVP as a wireless device. It sounds like it's a nightmare for most folks. Perhaps the new model that Hauppauge is releasing will fix that issue.

mpking
2006-01-25, 04:14 AM
I'd suggest you make this a sticky, since this was almost word for word the quesiton I was going to ask.

I'd suggest changing the title to
What is the MVP.

Maybe post it in the Wiki as well

bluesxman
2006-01-25, 09:38 AM
Maybe post it in the Wiki as well
It's already there:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manual/MVP