PDA

View Full Version : Overlay and timer glitch

ibweasel
2004-03-05, 05:41 PM
When watching a video playback, i get a small pause every time the timer on the OSD updates.

Thanks,
Paul

sub
2004-03-05, 05:49 PM
What do you mean by 'timer'? If the OSD is not showing, does it run without this glitch?

If you have a slow machine, generating the OSD and playing video (thru software decode) might be a bit much for the machine for short periods.

ibweasel
2004-03-05, 08:40 PM
The play time on the OSD. It is a 1ghz VIA C3 with 384mb of RAM. It is glitch free with no OSD on the screen. I am using the VMR9 setting of the Hauppauge decoder. Is there a more efficient decoder? I have heard of people using the decoder that comes with PowerDVD. Are there other decoders available out there? Anyone got a list of good ones?

Thanks,
Paul

sub
2004-03-05, 08:47 PM
The decoder that comes with PowerDVD *5* seems a reasonably good job, and will use the MPEG hardware decoder assist functionality in these Via EPIA M series boards. This will definitly lower the CPU usage and may give you a little more CPU head room for OSD processing.

That said, the .net graphics I use for drawing all the images do seem particularly CPU intensive so it may still be a problem on these slow CPUs.

ibweasel
2004-03-05, 09:29 PM
Actually, it's not an Epia, it's just a C3 on an ASUS board. It's not a nemiah either, so it has pretty poor floating point. I am using a Radeon 7000 for TV output. I'll have to try the PowerDVD 5 decoder.

Thanks,
Paul