PDA

View Full Version : How to populate UK EPG for "More4 +1" channel ?

pknighton67
2006-01-10, 09:39 PM
Today I was prompted by "DigiGuide" (3rd Party EPG) to add a new channel for "More4 +1" (everything on "More4" 1 hour later).

To duplicate this in GBPVR, I checked whether the channel was available by running GBPVR Config and re-scanning for channels - "more4 +1" is available.

So, next I need to fetch the EPG data for this channel.

My problem is that www.radiotimes.com at present only seems to offer EPG data for "more4" - see http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/channels.dat for the current list of channels they offer for download via "xmltv tv_grab_uk_rt".

Has anyone solved this ?

Are "radiotimes.com" usually fairly quick at adding new channels to their EPG downloads ?

How easy would it be to write a script/application to parse the downloaded XMLTV data for the channel "more4" and append a copy of all the entries under the channel "more4 +1" - with all the programmes shifted +1 hour into the future ???

Just a thought,
Paul K

djtaylor
2006-01-10, 09:53 PM
No need to do anything of much effort.

I'm picking it up quite happily by using the xml gui app (google) sorry, not near PC which has a post processing filter for what looks like an automatic 1 hour shift.

David.

stu8080
2006-01-11, 08:09 AM
In XMLTV Radio Times grabber GUI, under the options there are a number of post processing filters. Here you should be able to select one that has a '+1' function.

I dont use it so cant give specific advice, but have a look at the XMLTV Radio Times forum and Alan Birtles should be able to help.

gEd
2006-01-11, 10:24 AM
I don;t have any ideas to help (sorry) but I was just wondering whether there any point in actually having e4/more4 +1 as when you are using gbpvr, there is no need for you to miss any programs anyway!

I decided to ditch several of the freeview channels as they don;t show the kind of programs that I watch but also because the fewer channels you have configured, the easier it is to navigate the tv guide and web scheduler.

nemulate
2006-01-11, 10:26 AM
lol Good point, never thought of it like that. Will be a good idea for me to un-select some channels I never watch! :)

djtaylor
2006-01-11, 05:50 PM
I'm at the right PC now, the best xml grabber that i've tried is http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/ and that's the one with the post processing filter for More 4 + 1.

David.

lsmithgo
2006-01-11, 10:29 PM
just wondered - why do you all use XML EPGs in the UK when you can use the DVB EPG broadcast information?

nemulate
2006-01-11, 10:33 PM
Think we had this discussion yesterday or day before! Some like auto download of epg data and some prefer using xmltv data, seems different people have different results. I think I prefer auto download as its easier but some channels seem to be missed for me like E4 and More4+1. Not sure why though!

stefan
2006-01-12, 06:18 AM
but I was just wondering whether there any point in actually having e4/more4 +1 as when you are using gbpvr, there is no need for you to miss any programs anyway!

If you only have one capture card, and two programs you want to see are on at the same time, you might want the +1 feature =)

stefan
2006-01-12, 06:19 AM
just wondered - why do you all use XML EPGs in the UK when you can use the DVB EPG broadcast information?
Not that this has anything to do with the UK, but here in Sweden I have noticed that the DVB EPG that is broadcast is quite lacking in information. Much of the shows don't show up in the EPG until about an hour before the show starts. :-(

djtaylor
2006-01-12, 11:03 AM
I agree, sometimes the EPG doesn't update or as I have found, it is inaccurate with in a couple of cases, a whole programme missing. I like the XML download, it's quick to set up instead of waiting 2 minutes for each channel to be scanned.

David.

pknighton67
2006-01-12, 07:00 PM
Hi All

Replies:

Q1. Why use xmltv download vs. broadcast data for EPG?
A1. Past experience with "MediaPortal" and other PVR software for my cards led me to believe EPG grabbing is buggy, data is often incomplete/wrong, data is not consistently available for all channels, data is only available for so many days ahead.

With my MSDOS batch script calling xmltv, running overnight daily, I get some 11-12 days worth of EPG, important as I tend to send a week's recordings up in advance.

Q2. Why do I want to record from Freeview "+1" channels ?
A2. As someone already wrote, even with 2 tuner cards you can find them all committed to 2 overlapping programmes on air around the same time. Channels such as "E4+1" allow me to re-schedule a 3rd programme (OK, only happens occasionally) +1 hour when there might no other demands on the 2 available tuner cards.

Further, you assume the 2 channels are equal. Sadly, in my area the signal quality & strength of "E4+1" is significantly better than that of "E4", so much so that wherever possible I would watch/record from the stronger.

The only let down / problem I have, regardless of how my EPG is populated, is that of overlapping (in time) duplicates being marked for reoccuring recording in the EPG because programmes (certainly in the UK) seem to get re-scheduled (i.e. their start time moves). If I have already marked a programme for reoccurring recording, the re-loading the EPG will not removed it but mark the new time for recording also - creating 2 overlapping versions in the TVGuide and Pending Recordings.

So far the only solution I have found is to :
1. Recordings/Reoccurring - find the one being marked twice (at original scheduled time & also at the re-scheduled time), delete the entire series.
2. Empty the EPG & Reload the EPG (easier now in 95.16)
3. TVGuide - to find and mark again the re-occurring programme for recording.

It works, at least.

Thanks for the replies
Paul K