PDA

View Full Version : 008 release

colin
2004-01-06, 09:56 PM
Hey Sub,

just installed 008.

o live tv runs for about 10 seconds then picture breaks up and returns to the main menu
o pressing the down arrow when i first enter into the live tv this hangs my machine. power off is the only recovery
o entering a manual recording prevents me from acessing the TV Guide, and I cannot delete the manual record entry.
o If i play a music file, press stop on the remote control, then go and play a video file, i get a white screen in GBPVR with a red cross and an error from the C# application and the only option i have apart from debug is quit. But the music file starts playing in the background:)

About to test the scheduled recordings, will comment later,

Colin.

colin
2004-01-06, 10:35 PM
scheduled recordings from the tv guide work a treat.

Colin.

sub
2004-01-06, 11:38 PM
Colin, it could be worth trying to pause LiveTV as soon as it starts, then wait about 10 seconds and press play. I'm curious if this problem relates to the playback trying to read past the current recording point in the video file. The way the Hauppauge reader buffers things, it reads in chunks. One of these chunks may be going past the end of the file. Give Pause a try and let me know how you get on. It should give my some useful pointers where to look.

I've been able to reproduce the white screen problem you mentioned, and should have a fix sometime today.

sub
2004-01-07, 01:37 AM
Colin, I've just emailed a download link for a version which addresses the white screen problem.

Cheers

colin
2004-01-07, 04:00 AM
Hey Sub,

I'll take a look at the binary you sent me later. I'm in no rush for a fix, i kinda stumbled over it by mistake.

As for live tv, pausing for about 10 seconds then resuming seems to solve the problem of finishing early. Moving up a channel starts a new live-tv?.mpg but the screen goes black and does not show the new channel. The live-tv?.mpg file grows though.

Moving the mouse around in gbpvr during playtime causes my machine to freeze resulting in a power off/power on to fix it. I'll try a few other things to see if its related to the way hauppauge does its buffering.

BTW, when live tv is paused is there anyway of knowing how far between the live tv we are? This is just nit picky stuff as I know you are working on stability at the minute. Fancy stuff can wait till later.

Certianly things are getting a lot more solid. Very happy with the scheduled recordings, waking the machine from hibernation and recording the programs. Keep up the good work, this is shaping up to be a nice app.

Colin.

sub
2004-01-07, 04:22 AM
Cheers for the comments. I cant remember how were you viewing Live TV? Was it VMR7 / VMR9 / PVR350?

Nice to have LiveTV stuff like buffering information etc and more support for navigation in the buffer is definitly on the to-do list. I will be implementing more in this area in the next couple of releases.

MaBo
2004-01-07, 07:47 AM
Sub,

When installing 008 beta, what is the best way to keep the settings? Up till now I've removed the old version, restarted the machine and installed the newer version. THis, however, means reentering all channel and configuration parameters. Is it safe to install the new version over the old one using the "reinstall" option from the new release?

Greetings,
MaBo

sub
2004-01-07, 07:52 AM
At the moment there is no mechanism for retaining settings between releases unfortunately. A reinstall or new installation will overwrite the settings. I'll be looking into an approach for this in one of the coming releases - sorry.

colin
2004-01-07, 11:14 AM
Hey Sub,

I was using VMR9 on a PVR250 using the system default codec. Will try other codecs to see what happens.

Colin.

bitter_old_man
2004-01-07, 07:58 PM
Hey Sub,

First, let me say that I am very impressed with GB-PVR so far.

I get no sound or video with live TV. The liveTV-0.mpg file is fine.

With the system default or Cyberlink decoders using VMR7/9 I get the "Initializing..." message, then nothing else. Overlay gives the white window with the red "X".

The Hauppauge/Intervideo decoder: Black window, no "Initializing..." message. This happens with VMR 7/9 and Overlay.

(USA, NTSC, PVR250, XP Pro)

Barry

amontillado
2004-01-08, 02:42 PM
Quote[/b] (bitter_old_man @ Jan. 07 2004,20:58)]Hey Sub,

First, let me say that I am very impressed with GB-PVR so far.

I get no sound or video with live TV. *The liveTV-0.mpg file is fine.

With the system default or Cyberlink decoders using VMR7/9 I get the "Initializing..." message, then nothing else. *Overlay gives the white window with the red "X".

The Hauppauge/Intervideo decoder: Black window, no "Initializing..." message. This happens with VMR 7/9 and Overlay.

(USA, NTSC, PVR250, XP Pro)

Barry
I just installed it and have the exact same problem, any ideas ?

edit:
Forgot to mention, the livetv files are all static , so maybe some tuning problem ?

colin
2004-01-08, 04:21 PM
Its the feature that gives immediate feedback:)

Colin.

2004-01-08, 04:39 PM
I'm still real interested in the MediaMVP showing LiveTV.

Bryan

amontillado
2004-01-08, 08:29 PM
Just emailed the log,
Seems like something is going wrong with the selection of country code and the proper tuning table (the selected frequency isnt correct).
Maybe it is possible to make it possible to put the frequency in wenn adding channels . That also solves the problem some people here have with station that are broadcasting on a non regular channel , like 5+ . There are workarounds for that but the way wintv2000 (wich also allows you to enter the frequency) has impelemented it is actually the easiest thing

2004-01-08, 11:49 PM
Sub,
I sent an email with my email address a few minutes ago.

Bryan

colin
2004-01-09, 02:20 AM
Sub,

from what i can see from playing tonight, the problem with the black screen and the initialising error is caused by the hauppauge code. Using the elecard codec produces video.

Any other codecs out there worth trying?

Cheers,
COlin.

2004-01-09, 02:48 AM
Sub,
I just sent the email with the Ethereal capture file attached.

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

sub
2004-01-09, 03:13 AM
Colin, good spotting. My system default happens to be the Elecard codec. I'll take a look and see if I can work out what is going wrong with the Hauppauge Intervideo one.

sub
2004-01-10, 07:24 PM
Quote[/b] (amontillado @ Jan. 08 2004,21:29)]Just emailed the log,
Seems like something is going wrong with the selection of country code and the proper tuning table (the selected frequency isnt correct).
Maybe it is possible to make it possible to put the frequency in wenn adding channels . That also solves the problem some people here have with station that are broadcasting on a non regular channel , like 5+ . There are workarounds for that but the way wintv2000 (wich also allows you to enter the frequency) has impelemented it is actually the easiest thing
amontillado, I'd be happy to accomodate you request for direct entry of frequencies, but have so far been unable to find a mechanism for to directly set a specific frequency. It must be possible because WinTV does it.

The Microsoft APIs for interacting with the tuner only allow you to access (by index) predefined tables of frequencies based on your country. There must be private Hauppauge Interface/API for directly setting the frequency, but unfortunately I dont know what it is.

amontillado
2004-01-10, 09:29 PM
thanx for at least trying,

It actually isn't a problem for me personally anymore since i screwed up and forget to put in the country code, since changing that the livetv files are fine, as i emailed you. (still get the strange pin connect error and blank screen using the intervideo codecs though). My cable company changed to using "normal" channel table.
But as you probably allready noticed in the sage/snapstream/shspvr forum it is an issue for a lot of others. In the topic i created on the dutch hauppauge forum there were also a couple of users asking me if i could pass this request to you.
But again, luckily there is a workaround by overriding the windows tuning tables that has been widely explained on the other forums. Hopefully somebody has some time left to figure out how to set it and share that info with you.

Thanx again for at least trying.